Califirnia Bill on fixing dogs

SeventhSon

Califirnia Bill on fixing dogs

Post by SeventhSon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Someone just told me that the State of California just passed a Bill requiring dogs to be fixed.
I don't know any of the details but there must be some breeder exceptions right?
Does anyone know about this and have some info/opinions to share?

Theresa

Yes...

Post by Theresa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:27 pm

This is what I googled up: http://www.ab1634.org/AB1634_California ... ts_Act.htm

The California Healthy Pets Act exempts:

Licensed breeders
Dogs who work as guide dogs, service dogs, or signal dogs
Dogs who are used by law enforcement agencies for law enforcement or rescue activities
Dogs and cats whose veterinarian determines that due to age, poor health, or illness it is unsafe to spay or neuter them
Non-resident show dogs and dogs brought into the state for exhibition
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

I believe the bill has passed the CA house but not the senate. Yet.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:31 pm

What country do we live in anyway?

I am not sure that I recognize any thing that is done any longer.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:33 pm

Check that. Someone said it has passed the whole assembly.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:48 pm

With all these states passing all these stipid laws, Texas looks better & better all the time! At least they can secede whenever they want to! :lol:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Check that again. CNN says the bill now goes to the CA Senate.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:35 am

This state pretty much takes the cake in ridiculousness. I can't wait to get the heck out of here.

The bill hasn't passed the senate yet. There still looks like there is a chance that it won't pass at least without some more revising. But the chance is slim.

Here is some info on it.

Click here.

A little summary for those who dont like reading. You either neuter the dog at 4 months of age, no matter the breed or health issues. Or you pay a yearly fee of 100-500 dollars. It has to be registered with an org like the AKC and compete in an event every 2 years, and some other crappy regulations that the tree huggers wanted to add in.

And im not to sure about those exemptions. Ill check on it.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:41 am

That's what I was afraid of, it looks like there is a whole lot of latitude regarding how the law is enforced.
Since when does competing in an event define a dog worthy of passing on it's genes?
No offense to show or Field Trail enthusiasts, but there are a whole lot of great hunting dogs who don't do either.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:41 pm

Its just the only way people can figure that the dog has a good enough reason to stay unaltered. So you cant just keep the dog in a kennel and breed it. People know if your competing in a conformation event you are probably taking good care of your dog. If you have a house dog, or a bad dog(like the ones this bill is doing a very bad job of eliminating.) you cant keep him intact to roam around and impregnate random dogs, take poor care of them and sell them for money. Unfortunatly this will attact the puppy mills that don't put the 300 dollars into the dogs they sell.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 am

There are a whole bunch of states with some disheartening dog legislation going on!
Whether you are an AKC fan or not, it would be an idea to go to their web site from time to time to check out what is going on. They keep an update on their legislative page for these sort of bills.

Most all of the parent clubs for the breeds have been on a letter writing campaign to get the CA bill killed, looks like it didn't work. But it may not be too late, those of you in CA should make yourselves aware of this bill and contact your reps!

www.akc.org
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/pet-law/

Stump

Post by Stump » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:16 am

This is much farther reaching than you realise. if you search the net you'll find out that the real reason for the non-resident dog being fixed has to due with dog show,field trials and hunting not only birds but hounds for bear hunting as well. "bleep" tree huggers are really pissing me off

Theresa

Hmm...

Post by Theresa » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 am

I read this the other way.

If you show or work your dogs, you can get an exemption from having to alter them.

This bill is aimed at the irresponsible pet owners, not the working dog folks.

I hear people say its good, and others say it cannot be enforced.

I'll be paying attention to see where this goes....
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:52 am

I would like to see them to to enforce this on cats.
Good luck!

RCB

AB 1634

Post by RCB » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:46 pm

There are exemptions but they are not practical or reasonable. IMO, they were put in in this fashion just to give people with no knowledge on the subject a reason to vote for the thing. For example, to get an intact exemption for working dogs, training on your field prospect has to start at 4 months old (must show proof), the dog must win a title by 3 years of age, and you must show proof again that the dog is competing every two years. Now how many of use start formally training our dogs at 4 months or send them to trainers that young? How practical is it that a good dog will win its field championship by 3 years of age? And, how many of use are going to compete our dogs through all of their breeding years? Again, you spend all this time and money on a dog in field training and trialing, and at the age of 3 you have to take him in and get snipped because he just did not finish his championship in his third year. Or since you do not believe in formal training until the dog is 1.5 years old, the animal control REQUIRES you to take your 6 month old dog in to get fixed because you have or cannot prove the training has begun or quite frankly do not believe training should begin that young. Or your female has won her championship at 3 so you retire her from competition to breeding but since she is now 5 and has not competed for the last two years the animal control REQUIRES you to get her fixed and fore go the remaining quality breedings that could have took place. Yes they are exemptions but they are not practical and just put in to pull the wool over everyones eyes. This is a terrible bill and it takes our rights as pet owners away. There are plenty of ways/incentives to have pet owners voluntarily have their dogs fixed if that is what THEY want to do. Some of you might say paying a fine if it is applicable is not REQUIRING the owner to get his animal fixed but I say that is bull. If the fine is $500 each and you have 4 dogs, how long can you afford to pay $2,000 every year. The fine is so high that it is a REQUIREMENT to have your animal fixed. Currently where I live you have to pay about $25 (per pet) more in licensing fees every year if your animal is not fixed. That is a reasonable amount and I am sure the additional revenue helps to cover the additional expenses that the animal control incurs for irresponsible owners. Cities have already come up with ways to offset costs and push pet owners into fixing their animals if that is what they want but it is the money from radical groups like PETA that sway our public servants into these terrible bills.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:06 pm

See the fact is, this bill hurts everyone, not just the irresponsible. This bill doesn't let you slide even if your dog is a AKC champion at 8 weeks. You still have to pay the fine. When your dog is old, and you don't show it anymore you don't have the option to keep it unaltered because you haven't show it in 2 years. I know for sure that health reason can not keep your dog from getting neutered, as of May 31st.

If they want to crack down on the drug dealers that are breeding fighting dogs in poor conditions FINE!. But don't screw it up for the people that take proper care of our dogs, put them in events, and give them a life. Thats just unconstitutional. And now HSUS and Microsoft are trying to take away hunting PERIOD. This whole country is broken. To bad i'm patriotic.