crazy puppy shoppers

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

crazy puppy shoppers

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 am

:roll:
Just had a call about my puppies. First off he is calling for his dad. This is always a little bit strange to me. Why is dad not calling? Well I tell him I have 2 and proced to decsribe situations on both and he interjects after I have only described colors, with where are you located... (like he wants to buy NOW) so I continued on and I just asked what he was looking for in a puppy and he sounds irritated at me and tells me his father lives in a town home, but has some land, wants a pet, probably won't hunt, his father would not want the bright white one, he says, the ticked ("Is that the little spots?" he asks... )would be good. I go back to my original explanation that I never got to, and explain that the ticked boy is a really nice boy and I would at least want to see him hunted or tested, and as always offer to help with that. He gets mad, says he doesn't think his dad would want to do "shows" or any kind of trials, and it went down hill.
Now, I don't expect that every owner wants to hunt test, certainly not trial or show, and I want good pet owners first and formost, but I do expect them to not be pushy and have some willingness to listen to me. I want people who, if they are not educated on the breed, are asking questions and trying to be...

I digress, just mad me mad... :x :x

I usually try to talk a little to help them learn, but I guess some don't want to.... they know all they need to know

I am sure he will end up getting one from a one of the folks around here who are not so picky about buyers, and then I wonder how the folks who know nothing about the breed will do with the sporting dog in the town home.... :( with a perhaps older man who may or may not know what he's getting into...

Told by a mentor of mine to keep this in mind...

If they irritate you now, just think how it will be for the next 14 years. (paraphrased)

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:46 pm

This kind of justifies the high price for hunting dogs, just to keep out the riff-raff. Not saying that to sound snooty (an inheritance paid for my dog). But one would surmise that the big pricetag would ensure serious buyers, although that could backfire as well (status symbols, etc..).
Anyway, it sounds like this guy's business wasn't the kind you needed. Sounded, as you said, like years of trouble begging to happen!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:50 pm

I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting and requiring trial/hunting homes. I have a classified for an expected litter right now and have done the same thing. That is only one more way to make sure we are all not just breeding future pound puppies.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:45 pm

Bummer...try this strategy next time:

Don't tell them the price up front. Talk to them and if they are idiots, tell them the dog is $5k when they ask. Either they walk then or you turn a good profit on the litter off of one dog.

Regards,
Jay

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Jay,

Actually I never got to price, he cut me off after about 10 words... :?

Chris,

Hunting homes, yes are my preference. I will sell to a pet home IF I think they are active folks who will do something else like agility or they hike all the time or something. I do require a hunting title of some kind and other stuff if they want full registration. The way I see it, if you are dedicated and enough to want to breed your dog, then you won't mind jumping through a few hoops to get there, and hopefully learn something along the way. We require health testing to "prove" a dog is okay breeding stock so a little ability testing is not asking too much. I always offer to help out, and if they have some exception, and feel like they are proving the abilities without a title then I am happy to talk about it. It's not meant to be keep others from getting involved, but to encourage them to do it well...

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:09 pm

what do you mean by full registration? Another route you could go is to give referals to other kennels. You shouldnt expect everyone to have our same high aspirations for there dog. I understand your point but understand others also.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:58 pm

Oh, I have reffered on to other kennels maybe 30 times this (edit: well it's June now - I meant May...) month. Mostly folks looking for girls, but some just color or other lines, etc.

I agree with you. I have long discussion with fellow people about restrictions and how I wanted to try to keep my puppies from ending up a puppy mill or producing puppies themselves who ended up in puppy mill. I try to be flexible. Nothing is set, but new owners must be knowledable and actively trying to keep the hunting in the breed. It's more of an individial thing. You know if you had a dog you guided hunts with nearly every weekend, but it was not titled, I'd say it's pretty well proven to hunt :) but I digress. I am getting a little off topic. Everybody's different. 8) I Would hate a world full of me's. Uuugh. That would be really irritating - knowing me :wink:
Last edited by mountaindogs on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:50 pm

I think some people get the idea that you are a seller and that they are a buyer. The customer is always right and, like any merchant, you should answer their questions and get them a product that suits their needs. :roll:
It doesn't quite occur to them that it takes more than just a checkbook to get a puppy from a decent breeder.

We're expecting our first litter July 2nd. Needless to say, we're nervous about the whelping, raising the pups, and most importantly, finding good homes for all of them. First and foremost, we simply want people that will take good care of them. After that - either competition homes or hunting homes. Competing is definitely a good thing, but a littermate to our girl went to a hunting home. MAN - that dog has the life. She goes hunting ALL the time! I'd love to get a pup into a home like that!!

Of course, those pet homes can turn into competition homes, too! That's how we got sucked in. Shooter came home as a 100% pet - now training, trials and hunt tests take up most of our time! :)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:10 pm

phermes1 wrote:... First and foremost, we simply want people that will take good care of them. After that - either competition homes or hunting homes. Competing is definitely a good thing, but a littermate to our girl went to a hunting home. MAN - that dog has the life. She goes hunting ALL the time! I'd love to get a pup into a home like that!!

Of course, those pet homes can turn into competition homes, too! That's how we got sucked in. Shooter came home as a 100% pet - now training, trials and hunt tests take up most of our time! :)...
Yes exactly! Thanks for summing it up better.
And we too, started with a mostly pet. We were going to hunt Katie "occasionally."

If you had told me then, that that wild GSP tearing up my herb garden would be one the things that helped us get where we are today (living on a huge and amazing property, able to have too many dogs, and addicted to dog activities) - I would most certainly never have believed it. But now she hunts for hundreds of guided hunts every year. who would have guessed

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:23 pm

This kind of justifies the high price for hunting dogs, just to keep out the riff-raff.
Don't think it worked as there are a lot of us riff-raff that have hunting dogs. Some of us just have hunting dog breeds but don't hunt. Some of us trial or do hunt tests. Some show or do obedience or agility. But we all have dogs and enjoy the varied activities that are available whether it fills the original purpose of our dogs. I find it hard to justify telling a dog owner or prepective buyer how he has to use his dog. I do try to ensure that the dog will be loved and taken care of but the rest is out of my control.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:18 am

it is inevitable that bad people will get dogs. Just as it is so with dogs getting disease or hit by cars. It is great to see people so passionate about there cause. Ezzy hit it out of the park. This is a good debate :lol:

Don't think it worked as there are a lot of us riff-raff that have hunting dogs. Some of us just have hunting dog breeds but don't hunt. Some of us trial or do hunt tests. Some show or do obedience or agility. But we all have dogs and enjoy the varied activities that are available whether it fills the original purpose of our dogs. I find it hard to justify telling a dog owner or prepective buyer how he has to use his dog. I do try to ensure that the dog will be loved and taken care of but the rest is out of my control.

Ezzy

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:42 am

Sounds like a good thing this guy didn't get one of your dogs.
I chatted with all that called about puppies in the litter I have now.
If they were in a hurry and not wanting to talk and let me know what they were after I simply tell them I have a questionaire that all perspective puppy owners fill in. If they are in a rush that scares them right off and it also gives me a written application to read through so I know more about my potential new puppy owners.
It also let me tell folks wheather I though one of my puppies would be suitable for them or they should pursue other breeders.
I only had 6 to place this time and had many more enquiries then that.
I hopefully choose the best new homes and owners for the puppies, I did my best to screen for them anyways.
It is good you stuck to your guns about testing and hunting.

Mav.......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:10 am

Out of all the folks I have talked to, that is the first one that was rude. Many were not good matches, but the discussion was polite, and they always thanked me for the referals, and moved on. I guess it just threw me off a little.

Don't forget here, that the testing issue is only for breeding dogs. If you just want a companion hunter family dog... then just promise me you'll love them and take good care of them. I sold a really nice boy to a pet home that doesn't hunt, but they are still a great home. They are social folks who take their dog everywhere with them and travel a lot. They have had GSP's for years and love their quirks. I don't worry about them one bit! That dog will be spoiled rotten, and sleeps in a better bed than mine ;) They will probably never test or trial or show, but they have a great new family member. One Who could have been a heck of a bird dog too, potentially a show dog, but his life will be good anyway. That makes me happy.

Mav,

Good suggestions. I think the thing that is really eating at me is that I didn't get a word in edgewise and I feel this guy is now just mad and rather than trying to buy a good dog, will be looking for the easiest dog to buy... Wishing I had had a chance to educate even a little... But maybe some just wil not listen, no matter what. I don't think he wanted to learn, wasn't a dog for him anyway and his dad might have been a really nice guy ... who knows...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:02 am

If they're that rude, it's not worth *anything* to continue.

So, simply say "I don't mean to be rude, but I can tell that this isn't going to be a match. I don't want to lead you on, so have a nice day and good luck in your search".

Best regards, Greg J.

Theresa

Good advice..

Post by Theresa » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:29 am

"I don't mean to be rude, but I can tell that this isn't going to be a match. I don't want to lead you on, so have a nice day and good luck in your search"

I would only add - and then hang up real quick!

I had one that when I asked him questions (this to place a pitbull) got upset - he said "I should be asking the questions here, not you!" I told him that many people that call for a pitbull misrepresent themselves, and that I needed to ask him questions to verify he was legit. He screamed "I called YOU! I called YOU!!" The call ended shortly after the screaming. People do think if you have something for sale, its the customer that counts. Stick to your guns - you will weed out the idiots and the right people will be there for your pups!
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:36 pm

There are a lot of different ways that people define a "responsible breeder" today.

High on the list of what defines responsibility though is that a breeder MUST take the time and care to be sure that the dogs are placed in situations where the PUP is going to have a good shot at a long and happy life.

The way I look at it this is not like being a car salesman. Who could care less if the car they sell is going to get good care for the next ten to fifteen years.

If you buy a car, scratch it up, dent it up, "customize it" with a can of spray paint it's no reflection on the seller, or even the company that produced it.

However a puppy carries the name of the breeder with it for life, even onto subsequent generations if the dog is bred.

Therefore it's perfectly reasonable for a breeder who actually cares for the dogs, and the breed as a whole to want to do all they can to ensure that the pups are going to homes where proper care, training, exposure and opportunities to "shine" as a good representative of the breed (trialing, testing etc) and to therefore pick and choose prospective buyers buy whatever criteria they choose.

I've talked to breeders about prospective dogs that I thought had totally ridiculous clauses and contracts for "full registration", but that's my prerogative as a buyer.

By the same token, if I feel the least bit uncomfortable when talking to a prospective buyer and think for whatever reason it's not a good match I will politely end the conversation quickly. No need wasting my time nor theirs.

If the litter you are looking at is from an outside sire (breeder only owns dam) and the price they are asking is commensurate with the cost of the breeding (stud fee/vet bills/travel or shipping) then it's probably reasonable and in line with how most breeders price dogs. If it's a whole lot higher than that, then you have to ask yourself "why??" and just use your best judgment and move on from there.CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:57 am

Good stuff Charlie.

I had a few folks seem taken aback a bit by my questions when they called on my recent litter but it seemed like most eventually understood I wanted to find good situations for all the pups.

When I tried to run an add with "GSP" instead of German Shorthaired Pointer with one paper, they told me they would not allow that, I had to spell it all out. People wouldn't know what "GSP" meant, they said. I said if they didn't know, I wasn't going to be selling a pup to them, so that was fine by me.

As it turned out I think we had a half dozen calls if not more asking what "GSP" stood for....not a one of them would have had any intention of using the dogs for their intended purpose.

I did have a couple who said they probably would not hunt, or hunt much--but sounded like they had a good situation otherwise.

I've known folks who have placed dogs in such situations and don't think it's a horrible practice, but I decided not to.

larry

Post by larry » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm

No mater how hard you screen it can still be a crap shoot. In the past I placed a dog with a couple that I felt would be great and do lots with the pup, they turned out to be duds and did very little with the dog. Then there was the one I wasn't real sure about but turned out to be one of the best that I ever sold to.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:03 pm

I probably loose a lot of puppy buyers because they email me with 100 questions. I will answer the basics and tell them to call me. I WILL NOT sell pups over email, besides if someone is seriously interested they SHOULD want to speak with you about the dogs. Most people I never hear back from, they either want to do everything thru email or they are not serious. There is much I can learn about people from a simple conversation and if they do not care to have one then they do not want a puppy.
brenda