NC bird hunting

natetnc

NC bird hunting

Post by natetnc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:22 am

i am looking to do some roughed grouse hunting in the NC mountains this fall/winter but don't know much about it. i have done as much research as possible but wanted to know if anyone had first hand info/tips for me. the current issue of pointing dog journal has a good article about how to train dogs for grouse without grouse..... just what i needed. i know what kind of cover i am looking for just don't know where to find it.... anyone have general area they can give up?

i am also looking to do a little quail hunting in NC. where are the best areas (gamelands) for this. i tried sandhills gamelands a little late last year (with very young 7 mo dog) with no success. any other areas you suggest?

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:34 am

I am in the same boat as you but on the other side of the mountain in TN. I'm going to try and hit Cherokee National Forest some this fall winter.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 am

yeah... there really isn't much info on appalachian grouse hunting. i have been keeping an eye out for good looking spots when we visit national forest land thats about it. i visited a site in pisgah national forest where 2500 acres burned in a forest fire early may 07. on our drive up the gravel road we came across a female grouse with some little ones (good sign i guess). have a few places in mind up there but will have to see how well the area progresses during the summer.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:13 am

Talk to the state folks about locations of 4-10 year old logged areas in Pisgah. Buy the State's Trout book and take up fishing for them if you don't already. Fish early mornings and listen for drummers, marking them on the maps to keep track. Find a message board for Trail hikers and ask about drummers heard there.

For quail I was told when we lived down that way to make friends with someone dogless in the service that liked to hunt and get access to the bases that allow hunting that way. Never managed that but makes sense, limited access etc. Some of the guys with deer leases will allow you in at cut rate for just birds. Hunted Sandhills some and heard birds there but hard to come by and spread out.
Colin

carolinasetter

Post by carolinasetter » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:41 pm

I hunt Grouse and Quail in NC. The best Gameland I have found for Grouse is Elk Knob Gameland, just outside of Boone. Thurmand Chatman in Wilkes County has birds too, but it is very rough walking, and has a ton of deer hunters. Quail are a little tougher to find on public land, your best bet is private land.
Where are you located, I live near Winston-Salem. If you are interested I would be willing to take you along sometime and show you a few spots.
Good Luck

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:15 am

carolinasetter, i live nearby in High Point and should be making a move to lexington which is even closer. i actually work in winston salem. i visited thurmond chatam last season, just to walk and get the pup out, and didn't see anything. that could have been attributed to my green status as a grouse hunter and those gamelands, not knowing where to look. it would be nice to meet up this season and have someone show me the ropes.

carolinasetter

Post by carolinasetter » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 am

natetnc,
check your e-mail.