Expensive puppy prices and newbies...

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm

Geeze Sonny, don't be so tuff on us. By your rules we'd all have to have either a lab, a chesepeke or a boykin spaniel! :D
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Very, very well stated, Don. Thanks for putting it so well.

My .02 - what's with all of this 'us and them' BS? I enjoy running my dogs in field trials and hunt tests. Others enjoy hunting their dogs. I do not 'look down' on the personal hunting dog because perhaps they might not be field-trial steady. On the same note, I see no reason that a field trial dog should be looked down upon if it hasn't seen quite as many wild birds as the personal hunting dog. When it comes right down to it, both are examples of fine dogs that are doing what they were bred to do and are making their owners happy.

Go out, have fun with your dogs. Don't worry about the other guy. After all, we all think that OUR dogs are the best anyway, right? :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:01 pm

Don,I guess you are right. Have a happy 4th.-------SONNY
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Look me up anytime you wanna see a brittany hunt and hold point on grouse and woodcock. I do my own flushing.
I know you were looking for a reaction.....there you go sonny boy

Mav....
Sonny Hawkins wrote: BRITTS make good flushing dogs.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Come on Mav, you know he is right. Brits are good at everything. Thats why they are so versatile and have all those Dual Champions going for them.

The tone of the posts lately make me think of the old song Any Thing your Dog can do My dog can do Better. Or at least it is something like that. Maybe its just the heat(Global Warming) that has everyone on edge with a reduced sense of humor.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Ezzy the whole problem here is people not respecting others experiences and desires for THEIR dogs. Several of us who hunt quite a bit it seems--not released birds, but wild birds who know all about hunters and dogs--feel we know our dogs and know what we need for hunting--have had our experiences and desires trashed.

Nothing wrong with saying allowing a dog to relocate or to flush isn't for you and your dogs. But when you say that's a problem for someone else who happens to feel differently, then the old pissing match between trialers and hunters starts up.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:27 am

Come on Ezzy,
By what he posted you know he was looking for a reaction or he would not have posted that brittanys make good flushing dogs. He runs a pointing dog and so do I. I never once said my dog was better then anybodies. Just offered to show him that mine are not flushing dogs. :lol:
I don't what made him think that his breed is any better then mine, just sounded like he needed to be knocked back a peg or two. Take shots at my breed of choice and I will shoot back......If I happen to notice the post.

Mav......

quote="ezzy333"]Come on Mav, you know he is right. Brits are good at everything. Thats why they are so versatile and have all those Dual Champions going for them.

The tone of the posts lately make me think of the old song Any Thing your Dog can do My dog can do Better. Or at least it is something like that. Maybe its just the heat(Global Warming) that has everyone on edge with a reduced sense of humor.

Ezzy[/quote]
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:25 pm

HEY MAV, Sounds like you have a real nice Birddog. Sorry that you took it that way. SONNY
SON/STARR KENNELS

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 am

Sonny Hawkins wrote:HEY MAV, Sounds like you have a real nice Birddog. Sorry that you took it that way. SONNY
Sonny Hawkins..you old goat. What are you doing stirring up trouble here? :lol:

I'm the new guy with Llewellins that started running in the Dixie region last year with y'all. Charles Sherrod....remember me?

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:18 pm

HELLO CHARLES , Good to here from you. There are alot of real nice folks here on the forum. Its good to keep the blood pumping every now and then. I like ALL breeds of sporting dogs. Maybe I just like a little excitement in this very HOT off season. These guys and gals really dont pay much attention to what I say. Its a lot of FUN.----SONNY

PS. If you want Bird Dog the best thing to do Is make your own choice. Lots out there.------Friend Sonny :lol:
SON/STARR KENNELS

LarryLowell

Post by LarryLowell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 am

A dog is worth what someones willing to pay. Some of the off breeds charge more for their dogs because there are less of them and when you have less of something its normally more expensive. People set a price on a pup based on what they feel is a fair price, and they are also riding the wave of what the other breeders in the area are charging.

If someone buys a pup and has a deal with the breeder to try and put a title on a dog then the buyer should live up to his side of the deal. Thats a problem with people anymore they pay lip service to get something they want, then do what they want later, disregarding their word. Now at the same time there should be an evaluation of ability after the dog is older. To say a you should have to compete a dog that doesnt have the ability to accomplish the goal is an unrealistic goal. Just because a pup shows potental as a pup doesnt mean it will after he/shes older.

In my area the Show breeders charge $800-$1000 for a GSP puppy. I would guess the average price of a GSP from good solid Hunting and Field Trial lines, in my area is $600 with some breeders asking $800-$1200 depending on the breeding. If you look in the paper for a litter from back yard breeder you'll see prices that range from $350-$500 normally.

Again a dog is worth what someones willing to pay. Some people ask more because they have titles on their dogs proving their lines. That doesnt mean a dog with a title better, it just means that the dog has met a standard to ability and trainability. Ive seen some great hunting dogs that will never get a title because of who ownes them, not because they didnt have the ability. That said IMO the same standards for ability and trainability dog can be met in the field without competing for the title. But its harder to prove your lines to people who dont know you. A pup from a great hunting dog is worth just as much money than a pup out of a FC. a great dog is a great dog. The advantage a titled dog has is more people have seen him verses the great hunting dog.

With anything its supply and demand, if you have a big supply of puppys and no buyers the price will drop, if you have people lining up for your pups the price can go up. I've found in alot of cases that people want what others cant have or cant afford. People like to brag, pound their chest etc... Just because your paying more for a dog doesnt mean its going to be better, just because the pup is less expensive doesnt mean its going to be less of a dog.

Larry

gary

Post by gary » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Pam ,
May do another BIG TIME MOLLY breeding if you are interested and you can hold head high against those other cheap pups.Will list pups for sale here, as the last time, where they all went to trial homes.

Open Gun Dog Non-Ret (2006 CO Weim Trials)
M ( Chanin E Brown (20 Starters) (1 Vizs, 2 Set-Irsh, 3 Brit, 3 Pointer, 3 Set-Eng, 4 Pntr-GS, 4 Weim)
1st Let's Go Big Time Molly, Weimaraner G Mccrary (4 pts)
2nd AFC Diamond C's Rowdy Son JH, Vizsla S Corliss
3rd Huachuca Colorado Otis, German Shorthaired Pointer C Heyden
4th Windtuck Winter Jazz JH, Brittany C Ling
Reserve JAM Lightning Strike, Pointer M Devos

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Gary, I just whelped a litter sired by Saga last Friday. I'm hoping this will turn out nice. I have 4 girls and 1 boy. The dam has mostly Nani's in her pedigree. She's a great working bitch and has performance titles in her pedigree. Her dam is in the Tracking Hall of Fame and both her parents are trained to SH and used as personal gun dogs. I've put several all breed FT placements on her One was NBHA. She also has a leg of her MH. I run her myself and I am far from being a pro.

One of these pups is going out to the Dallas area.

I know that you are going to laugh but I show my dogs too. It's so hard trying to breed for both show and field!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:44 am

Don wrote: By the way, the vast majority of people that have been by the house and watched a finished dog work have made comment's like, "wish I could afford one of those". You can. It doesn't cost even one more penny to make a finished dog as an un-finished dog. Not one penny! What is required is a different attitude about what you want.
And to get back to the original post, it doesn't cost one cent more to feed a good dog than a marginal dog, so spend as much as you can afford on the best bred dog you can find and train the dog. You can spend as much as you want, or as little as you please, but if you don't train the dog, either amount of money will be poorly spent.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gary

Post by gary » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:19 am

Pam,
Can remember my first Weim in 1951 and he was all around hunting companion and tried to show him,but that narrow minded group of women
that set the Weim standard cast ridicule on the deep chested hunting dogs.
NOW THEY BEG FOR HUNTING BLOOD because bench only dogs don't sell like before.The breed may never recover from there attempt to artifically monopolly this fine German Hunting Breed.
In the USA today there may be fewer than 100, if that many,Weim that can compete in all breed test and trials.
BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR NEW LITTER.
Gary