whelping box plans??

birdogg42

whelping box plans??

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:21 am

anyone have any whelping box plans they would share?? Thank you.

tfbirddog2

box plans

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:50 am

Made mine 5'x5' foot with two 16'' sides and two 12'' sides , braced with 2x2 strips in corners and around the 12'' sides to keep pups in. I could email pics.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:47 am

I just use a kiddie pool. I prefer the round design. Plus they are on sale about this time of year...
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

winchestermodel50

welping box

Post by winchestermodel50 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:09 pm

I use a cheap Wal Mart 5' diameter swimming pool. I get a sheet of 1" white styrafoam from the lumber yard to put underneath the pool and cushion any hard knocks the pups might take and cut a piece of scrap carpet that will have to be replaced once a week for about 3 weeks as a pool liner. I go down to a chain link fence distributor here in town and rent a take down 6'X10' chain link panel pen and set the whole thing up in the garage by a garage door. The dogs are shaded and and protected from the elements. When I wash out the pen I just sweep the water out the door it is already draining towards. When the pups crawl out of the pool, I remove it and put a plywood divider in the pen to give my female her space away from those aggravating pups. The pen keeps the mother out of trouble in the garage and yet she is very close and available. Washing down the concrete floor daily and brooming it out really keeps down odors.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:43 am

For those with a kiddie pool--you must have something else to switch the pups too when they get to be 4-5 weeks old, right? That was what led me to think of a more substantial whelping bin--pups crawling out of the pool at a relatively early age. Did not have a good place to move them as they got older.

I worried about how the heating pad would interact with the plastic in the pool too, and wanted the ability to put a roof over the whole thing in case we hit a cold spell when the pups were real young and need the temperature very warm yet.

Some info and pics of a few other designs can be seen towards the bottom of this thread--a cadillac design and my attempt at something that was more substantial but could be taken down and re-used:

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6786

tnbirddogman

Post by tnbirddogman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:16 pm

I bought plans from Lion Country Supply, and had graet sucess with it.