GSP pup and babies/infants?

bionerd76

GSP pup and babies/infants?

Post by bionerd76 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:46 pm

Okay, this post may be a bit premature, but I pick up my pup in under 3 weeks. My wife and I are excited and I've been reading up on training, spending some good money on the necessities, etc.

Well, my wife missed her period and she's taken 2 pregnancy tests...1 positive, 1 negative. Typically, we are people that like to plan things out and this one slipped under the radar.

So, if she is indeed pregnant (we find out for sure on Tuesday), how would a 9 mo. GSP get along w/ a newborn child?

Chris

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:20 am

fine but never ever ever allow a dog to be unattended with a baby.

Its your job to make sure the dog understands his position in the pack is below the dog

And active shorthairs pup/young dog will knock a little kid down, my kids would run in terror when my pups came near them, they all survived just fine
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 am

The young dog and baby will get to grow up together. Wonderful for sure.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:25 am

My GWP was almost three when my daughter was born. He was always very interested in her from the begining and soon became very protective of her. They are best friends and are always playing together and never far from each other.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:22 pm

My GSP was 7 Months old, when she met the 4 year old nephew. They got along great. Every once in a while he will get the playful paw in the face. Just make sure the nails are trimmed and filed regularly. :D

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Mine have been great around my daughter. She is 10 months old now and they normally do the drive by to see if she has dropped anything to eat and then they do their own thing. I still make sure I never leave her alone with them or if she is one the ground and they are out I'm right beside her.

tfbirddog2

Babies and GSP

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:50 am

I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old (next month) girls love there gsps and have done great with each other.One of them had a litter last year and was fine with both girls being around her and pups.I really think GSPs dont get the respect they deserve for being great family dogs.my one mother dog love to come sit by my wife when she was pregnant and when my wife would bring my youngest out side after having her.Tex awesome pics beautiful family.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

tedcankat

Post by tedcankat » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:09 pm

I have 5yr old and a 11month old girls and just got a 7 week old Brittany. So far my 11 month old , loves her but does get tired of the constant sharp paws to the head and nibbles on the ears. My oldest loves her to death but is scared of her unless she's settled for a nap, because of all the jumping and biting. I hate having to always protect one from the other, but I know in a month or so it'll all be settled everyone knowing their place.

I think you'll be better off with a older dog and a non walking baby. By the time the kid is walking the dog will be grown and will be more likely to look at the child as a baby than a underdog playmate.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:33 pm

The only problem you might run into is the pup getting jealous of the baby since the baby will be the center of attention for a long time. The side issue is that the puppy will not understand how delicate "human puppies" are and probably want to play with it a little too rough.

Just remember not to ignore the dog and supervise the close interactions between them until you are sure the puppy understands how fragile the baby is.

Over the years I've sold several hundred GSP's that went to still growing families and I've never heard of one intentionally harming an infant. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people