what would you do

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

what would you do

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Would you breed a 7 year old female that has never been bred before?

She is healthy (still a good all day hunter) and has always had regular cycles.

Theresa

Post by Theresa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Yes - with conditions.

The conditions being:

Dog is OFAed for breed appropriate issues, namely CHD, and passes the vet's exam (basic eye, cardiac, patella) and thyroid panel/full blood panel and other blood tests as appropriate, ie vWD. If the health clearances are a GO then:

I would make sure there is money in the bank for an emergency C-section - just in case.

I would clear my calendar to be sure I had time for the litter; if there IS a problem that is age related, you will need that time in case you are bottle feeding that litter round the clock.

In some breeds, the recommendation is to wait to breed until age 5 or older - this for a first litter. If your girl is FIT and lean, and isn't acting like or looking like a senior ready to retire, and you are working on spots for the pups and folks have an interest, I say GO FUR IT. JMHO!
Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I think I qualify as a responsible breeder but have never bred a female that old for their first time. I will rephrase my question.

Waht are the risks associated with breeding a seven year old setter female for her first time?

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 pm

I've heard stories about pelvis's that don't open right but I don't know the people I hear things well enough. I'd go talk to my vet and see what he say's.

When is this planned breeding?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Don,

The breeding already happened. A guy drove 11 hours this week to breed her to one of my males. His vet had given him thumbs up so far as her health is concerned but like you I have heard a lot of stories. I don't have any first hand experience with that sort of thing and was hoping someone here could tell us what precautions to take.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:33 pm

If she is healthy passing health checks and has the strong desired traits that are sought out for the breed and has the breeding to back up the desire and was going to a well sought stud or proven Stud...I would consider it

If she doesn't have the "package" There are plenty of other dogs out there

Looking at some more chestnut babies :D
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:36 pm

No k9 no chestnuts likely this time. She is orange/w with black nose. She is a jam up good bird dog with all the tools. I want a stud puppy bad or I probably would not have done it.

Our Llewellin gene pool is not all that big.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:38 pm

He didn't breed to the one in your avatar did he? That's a good looking dog. Litter of Takoa Mt stuff hit the ground in Bend yesterday. Thinking of having a look at them.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the compliment...no he bred to one of my older males that is more of a proven producer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Ahealthy 7 year old shouldn't be a problem. I would do it in a heart beat. That is getting close to the limit though so the chances of a problem may be slightly elevated. But chances of a problem exist with all breedings.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Don wrote: Litter of Takoa Mt stuff hit the ground in Bend yesterday.
Bend, Oregon?

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Don wrote:He didn't breed to the one in your avatar did he? That's a good looking dog. Litter of Takoa Mt stuff hit the ground in Bend yesterday. Thinking of having a look at them.
Don, If you are ready to try a setter I will fix you up with a pup for free. Under two conditions. 1) you work him and give him a chance to make a birddog. 2) you pay for getting him transported.