stitched leather collars

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

stitched leather collars

Post by highcotton » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:57 pm

When one of my dogs get done with school and reaches the point where thay are staunch on birds, back on sight or command and finish force breaking to retrieve I get them a nice leather collar. I know the coated nylon collars are more practical but you can call it a quirk on my part.

My problem is finding them these days. I am looking for double stitched 1" leather with solid brass hardware in the extended D ring style.

Any help in locating them will be appreciated.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:25 pm

I use only stiff nylon but I admit to a great weakness for good leather collar. Heavy double leather and and smooth side out, inside and out. The only reason I don't use them is cost. I had one made years ago, including brass buckle and brass D ring, for a springer and it was terribly expensive. But it got better with age. I lost that dog at 12yrs and he wore that collar all his life. It was just as stiff when he died. Get it made at a saddle shop and you'll never regret it. I've never seen a factory made one I like. Get those wet and they start falling apart.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:59 pm

these are the collars I use Rick Smith has them for sale like 24 buck for 3 of them right now

www.huntsmith.com
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:26 am

Try here.I had a few things custom ordered and I am very pleased.

http://www.onpointkennel.com/

bh99

Post by bh99 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:03 am

I got one for $12 that is double thick leather stiched together probably 1.5" wide, the guy will also put a name plate with whatever info you want for free. I'll try to describe it the best I can, it's two halves of leather with a ring contecting half the collar and the other half has the buckle. The collar also has round holes with blaze orange inside them. I'll try to get some pics tonight and contact info for the guy.

Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:05 am

nrcgsp

Post by nrcgsp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:45 pm

We use leather collars on a our dogs (except for the beagles) would weigh them down :lol: You can see what they look like in the avatar on Deuce. The have an O ring in center, last forever!! We have the orange reflect ones. We order from a guy who gets them from some Amish makers by him. They are $8 each and includes the 4 line name plate already attached.
Home of: NFC/FC/RegCh/NRC'S Magnum's Touch of Gold(We miss you Magnum);
NSDC/FC/Reg. R-upSlick Kessie Joe; http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=598

nrcgsp

Post by nrcgsp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:48 pm

bh99~ that collar looks identical to the ones we get. The guy we use, I met quite some time ago when my grandpa ran coonhounds he ordered leather collars from this guy. I think last time I ordered, I got all mine for $8 each. But they could be up now also.
NSDC/FC/Reg. R-upSlick Kessie Joe; http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=598

bh99

Post by bh99 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:22 pm

nrcgsp wrote:bh99~ that collar looks identical to the ones we get. The guy we use, I met quite some time ago when my grandpa ran coonhounds he ordered leather collars from this guy. I think last time I ordered, I got all mine for $8 each. But they could be up now also.
I got mine thru Crosswind and he told me the same thing the guy has them made by the Amish. I got mine about 6-7 months ago. I can't remember the guys name just that he runs trial and I think also tractor pulls. I like the collar cuz it is wide enough I can grab it without it tearing my hand up.

Update
I just got the info for the guy
Dion Bliss/ Red Haw supply 419 651 4242
Last edited by bh99 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:37 pm

I buy most of my stuff from http://www.dogsunlimited.com/ now. They have a nice selection of collars to choose from.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:19 am

Permatack. Looks like leather but doesn't absorb moisture. The brass is great, has held up to the saltwater with no problems.
viewtopic.php?t=3599&highlight=permatack

nrcgsp

Post by nrcgsp » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 pm

bh99~,
I get mine from a different guy, but same area, could be they order from the same place. I will have to write down that info. Afraid my guy is about to retire!! And I LOVE the collars. I agree, I like the wide easy to get a hold of, but I have seen first hand how they can save a neck! Had a dog at a trial jump one of our dogs, and it was evident the collar took the bulk of the bites instead of the neck!!! Could have very well saved a ton of money in vet bills not to mention possibly the dogs life. Now, it is not a common occurance to have that happen, just a freak deal and it was over.
I have been pleased with dogsunlimited as well for other things I have ordered.
Nancy

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:03 pm

I ordered a leather pinch collar from:
http://www.snowcanyonoutfitters.com

It is very nice, the shipping was fast, too!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:57 pm

The snow canyon fella said that "if you have to sew two pices of leather together, your not using thick enough leather". Well that might be true but I like two pices so there's no rought out leather anywhere and the collor is very stiff. Haven't seen any comerical leather collar anywhere that intrest's me yet. Saddle shop is the way to go. Rought to the inside on both pieces and smooth out. My problem is that I have found stiff nylon collars so inexpensive. But there is nothing like nice leather.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:39 pm

Nite-Lite
brenda

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:11 pm

My snow canyon collar is pretty stiff, and realeses (opens back up) very nicely. I have only had it about 2 months, but it has gotten almost daily use and is still working well. I am certainly no expert, but it works well for me and Roscoe. The only thing is that it is a little big (long) but I'm sure Roscoe will grow in the next couple of years anyway.

BOSUN

Post by BOSUN » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:02 am

Highcotton...I sent you an e-mail.

jackflash

Post by jackflash » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:46 pm

I tried several leather collars from cheap to very expensive and found all came apart when repeatedly soaked or had hardware that quickly wore out or even corroded.
I now have collars made by LDS Leathers ( http://www.ldsleather.com/ ). one plain with escape/rollover ring, one stitched and the latest is lined. All have italian bronze hardware.

My chessie has worn her's every day for two years. She spends at least an hour a day in the water and has hunted in every possible condition and temperature and the collar is still in excellent shape and it looks good.

If properly tanned the leather does not absorb water or swamp and dog order.

My setter is using his for the first time this month so I can't report on how it will hold up on a pointing dog.

They are very expensive and have a long lead time to get but I'm now convinced it was worth it............

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 am

Mine is similar to others here where it's not real leather, but a real nice looking fake leather. Doesn't absorb water, won't smell, is tough like leather, etc. Mine is this one:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/durhuncol1.html

Looks great too.

warn

Post by warn » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:11 pm

http://www.houndhunting.com/

this has to be 1 of the best suppliers i have ever used. It is wick outdoor works . They manufacturer alot of there supplies and what they buy for resale they stand behind just as if they had made it. Great folks to deal with and he is an avid hunter himself and uses the stuff he sells.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:23 pm

I saw an ad for this company in the newest edition of Shooting Sportsman. You may see what they have available. They appear to have some excellent leather products.

www.usgalco.com
1-800-874-2526

Nitrex