Guage-mate tubes

WVGSP

Guage-mate tubes

Post by WVGSP » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Has anyone ever tried these Guage-mate tubes that allow you step down say from 12ga to 20ga. ?I've considered trying them but was concerned about hull removal and patterns ect. It would definitly save buying another gun if they work. :?:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:14 am

They work and they work incredibly well. I use the gauge mate Gold's. It's easier to get the hulls out with the gold's. You can only shoot AA'S or SST'S out of them or you can't get the hulls out. Velocity will increase from 1200 to 1500 fps using the gauge mate. In other words, If you shoot that shell in a 20 ga gun, you'll get 1200fps from it. Put a 20 hull in a 12 ga with a gauge mate, and you'll get 1500fps. It's like overboreing a barrel; less constriction at the end gives you higher velocity. Patterns are incredibly good. I've shot skeet with mine all summer.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:44 am

I've used them in the 20 - 28 gauge adapter and was very happy with the performance. I was shooting a light weight 20 and after shooting a lot of skeet and doves I started to flinch from the recoil. Now with shooting the 28's in the 20 there's virtually no or a LOT less recoil. Shooting Sportsman magazine and Gray's journal did an article where they did a pattern test and velocity check and the speed of the shot was increased and the patterns were not any different than previously noted. I like'em, but they won't work in all guns. One of my guns, and older Beretta O/U, won't close with the Gauge-Mate Silver version in the tubes, it may work with the gold style. Since the Gold style seem to sit further down the chamber

I think they would make a great introduction to a young shooter when the only gun you have is a 12 gauge. You could buy an adapter and shoot 20's until that person gets old enough to handle a bit more recoil.
Tom

tnbirddogman

Post by tnbirddogman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 am

Lion Country Supply sells the Gauge-Mate Tubes. I bought the cheaper ones so that i could afford the set. I bought the set that reduces a 12ga down to a 20, 28, and 410ga. I really like them. The only problem with the cheaper set is, they well eject with the spent cartidge. I dont think the Gold Series will. If you dont have an ejector then you wont have a problem.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:21 am

I have a 12-20 set and they work well. The only real downside for me is that for some reason the gun is a LOT dirtier after using the tubes than it is if I'm just shooting 12 gauge. Not really that big a deal. The other issue is shooting trap or skeet with them. Since you can't rely on the ejectors to clear the shells, you have to remove them by hand and the tubes can get pretty hot after a while.
Neither is really that big a problem. The tubes work very well and, if you want to shoot a smaller gauge and aren't too inclined to drop a load of money on a new gun, I'd highly recommend them.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

WVGSP

Post by WVGSP » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Gonehuntin' where did you purchase the Gold series tubes? I looked in Lion Country and found them but they are silver in color so I assume they're the silver series. Can you remeber the price of a set of gold series? Looking to go 12ga to 20ga. Thanks.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:07 am

I went right on Gauge Mate's web site and bought them there. I think they were around $128.00 for the 12 to 20's. They come with a kit including rod to dislodge jammed shells so there's no need to order anything extra with them. I did and instead of just selling it to me, the actually called me and said I didn't need the extra stuff. I was impressed.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 am

I bought mine, 20 - 28, silver series, at the Cabela's Bargain room for $15 a set, 2 sets. Check it out
Tom

WVGSP

Post by WVGSP » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks folks I'll start price shopping . sounds like an affordable alternative.