Lab vs Vizsla

teej

Lab vs Vizsla

Post by teej » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:53 am

I have hunted with dogs before but never owned one myself. I am trying to decied between a Lab and a Vizsla. I know labs are good dogs and that was originaly what i was going to get. my friend just got a Vizsla and I fell in love with it. I dont know anything about them though. What should I do? Teej

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:03 am

figure out if a pointing breed or a retriver would be better for your normal hunting, that would be the first step. they are pretty differant in what they do

teej

Post by teej » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 am

I mostly duck hunt and dove hunt so I need a retriver. can you not use a pointer for this also

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:31 am

Of coarse you can. There are some really nice versatile breeds out there. I own a lab and love hunting with her for pheasant and gouse, but she's also a fantastic retriever and loves cold water so duck hunting with her would work as well. My brother-in-law has a GWP and she could do it all as well. The visulas I've run into while hunting if trained and can remain calm in the duck blind would work for ducks. My only concern would be with the colder temps, but the visula owners can chime about that.

KS_Vizsla

Post by KS_Vizsla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 am

Both dogs are great choices. The majority of Vizsla I have owned will retrieve. The lab of coarse would excel in cold water, etc. I'm partial to Vizslas, because they are such a great all around dog that will hunt many types of birds and animals. You can get some labs that will point, but I have never owned one that would.
Last edited by KS_Vizsla on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:41 am

Teej,

If what I did was waterfowl and doves, I'd get the Lab, Boykin or a Springer. Much as I like pointing breed dogs, and I think the Visla is the most underated of them, for what you do the Lab is king. The versitle guys can say what they want, none of them will stay in the game like a lab.

If you live in a fairly warm climate, I'd suggest a Springer or maybe check out a Boykin. No experience with the Boykin but a lot of good reports flying around. To many for them to be wrong. I started with Springer's and Lab's. They are your ticket.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:18 am

It really depends on what your expectations are and the individual dog. I mainly duck hunt followed by quail and dove. My weims do a fine job until the temps get too extreme. Most of the pointing breeds just aren't designed to handle extreme cold like labs or chessies. When it's very cold, either I fetch my own birds or I invite a buddy of mine and his lab. The nicest thing about my weims is I almost always follow my duck hunts with a short quail hunt. Not only is it a chance to warm up the dogs, but it allows me to warm a little as well.
ImageImageImageImage

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:21 am

Vizslas would do a fine job retrieving for you, but I have to agree that a lab would probably be better suited for duck. I would mainly be concerned with how a vizsla handles the cold water. It would probably do fine for awhile, but no matter how you cut it, it doesn't have the coat a lab does and I have to think that it would have a harder time keeping itself warm.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 am

Nice looking dogs. But I assure you that there are Retriever owners that will say the same thing, and Spaniel owner's. In fact I even know of a Standard Poodle owner and an Airedale owner that will say the same thing.

I think the question was what was best the Lab or the Visla. In his case I'd have to say the Lab. Then other options for what he want's would have to start with the spaniels.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:18 pm

You know, I hear a lot about how a dog does in cold water based on its coat, but are you really hunting in such extreme conditions? My vizsla swam across a river in January with no problems whatsoever. It wasn't 50 degrees below zero, but it was normal freezing temps for January at the time. If you're worried about cold, then just throw on a neoprene vest.

But, I digress. If you're a waterfowl and dove hunter, by all means get a retriever of some kind. The versatiles can retrieve, but if you're hunting a niche, get a companion designed for that niche too.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Netheir
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:31 pm

I have best of both worlds. I have a German Shorthair for my upland hunting. I have two labrador retrievers for my waterfowl hunting. If you have any questions on training retrievers I would be glad to help you. I would get a retriever if you do more duck hunting. Good luck

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:01 pm

If most of your hunting involves retrieving I would stay with your original choice of the lab.

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Where are you located? The cold water issue may be a non-issue depending on where you are. Just a thought.

teej

Post by teej » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Im in southern Arizona so the cold water is not realy an issue. I realy just want to know if the vizsla is a good trainable dog that will retrieve. Teej

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:46 pm

A V is a difficult dog to train if you're a duck hunter and want a handling retriever. When you start forcing to water and teaching hand signals, if spearated the retievers from the pointers. Pointing dog's just don't thrive on repetitive drills like retrievers do. V;s are soft dogs and many are kind of spooky. V's are nice upland dog's. A lab is a GREAT waterfowl dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:33 pm

If i was to hunt more Waterfowl then Upland then I would go with a Lab. I prefer Chessies over Labs but that was not one of your choices.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:51 pm

teej wrote:Im in southern Arizona so the cold water is not realy an issue. I realy just want to know if the vizsla is a good trainable dog that will retrieve. Teej
Boy that changes things for me a bit. I'd still do a lab but I'd go with a light yellow. Suddenly temp might become a factor.

Vizland's

Re: Lab vs Vizsla

Post by Vizland's » Fri May 08, 2009 3:23 am

Well I see some time has past since this was posted and I wonder what choice you have made...did you get a lab or vizsla? I had labs for 13 yrs before havng the vizsla 12 yrs.this month. I do not hunt but love the vizsla breed. With the labs there was always hair flying around and around in AZ I think a heavy coat animal would not do well and over heat in the weather. With a vizsla they are active and most have the natural drive and very willing to please their Owner where a LAB might be a bit slower to please. When I called my labs in the feild they would mosey on over but my vizsla would be there on a dime when called. I would be curious to know what you choose and how you are making out....Amy Lu

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Lab vs Vizsla

Post by ACooper » Fri May 08, 2009 7:08 am

I have a v and have had them for going on 13 years, had labs in the past, cold water or no water if your main game is retrieving get a retrieving breed, will a v do it? Sure will, will they do it better than a lab? Doubtful.

Why reinvent the wheel?