Sad News to Report

Lady Upland Hunter

Sad News to Report

Post by Lady Upland Hunter » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Many of you know my dear friend, Karen Pillion, from New Jersey. She field trials with her Brittanys and was just beginning the Fall trial season when she experienced a serious accident a few days ago!

She was doin' a training session with one of her dogs and was on an ATV (4-wheeler) when, after beginning to negotiate a turn, she was somehow thrown and landed on a rock. It was what I call a "freak accident" but none-the-less, this accident did serious damage. She broke her arm and it's so bad that she is having surgery this week wherein a rod will be inserted because the break was straight through and because of the manner of the fracture, there is no medical way to set it in a cast the normal, routine way. She is expecting a 7 - 14 day recovery time from surgery and then a 2 - 3 month healing process.

I feel badly about this incident because Karen is a woman that has worked so hard to get to the point wherein she is handling her own dogs in trials and truth-be-told, I personally have never met anyone that was so dedicated to learning everything she could about training and the self handling of her dogs as well as being totally focused on bringing her Tenessee Walker along so that he is now a great trial mount! She doesn't deserve this kind of bad luck especially in the way of a "freak accident" and had she not hit that rock, she would have more than likely walked away without a scratch!

So, for those of you who know/like Karen, please be praying for her as well as maybe sending her a note that will lift her spirits!

ImageThe Lady Upland Hunter, her trusty shotgun and her bird dogs!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:06 am

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Karen. Medical science on Breaks is amazing. She will do fine. I have been down that road my self a couple times. Sounds like she is one of those people that can accomplish what she puts her mind to. This is one of those times her will shall help.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:10 am

Sorry to hear that about my fellow New Jerseyan. I just "met" Karen here on GDF's welcome section.

Karen, I wish you a speedy recovery!

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 am

Sorry to hear that, will keep her in my thoughts headed skyward.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the accident. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:43 pm

So sorry to hear that! I don't know Karen, but will pray for her nonetheless.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Thanks everyone. Surgery went well. Went to doctor today for x-rays and dressing change. Will get staples out in 10 days then some machine to stimulate bone growth. Lots of vicodin rght now. Still have to sleep sitting up but finally on the up swing. Hopefully I'll be good as new in 8 weeks.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit