George Hickox and his bird dogs??

SouthDakotaBound

George Hickox and his bird dogs??

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Has any one dealt with this training and breeder. I was on his site and was looking at some of his english setters, engish pointers, and labs. Really interested in either a lab or a engish setter.

If anyone has some info on this guy please let me know.

Thank you

Casey

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:59 pm

If you want a dog within 40 yards I doubt that a Hickox setter would be anything you want. Maybe a Lab.

TheShadow

Post by TheShadow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 am

i actually am borrowing his DVD Vol 1-3 Upland Retreiver now and its an interesting watch but not a program I would follow to train my labs. I don't know anyone that has any dealings with him although a friend of mine was very interested in his labs but he actually went with a different kennel wildrose i think. if i catch up with him i'll ask him why he changed his mind.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:06 pm

I have dealt personally with George Hickox many times. His dogs are outstanding!!! They are bird dogs that have genetics, style, and everything else to boot. I have personally seen 5-6 of his dogs work and they hunted in range with speed, style, and control. I would highly recommend you call him and at least talk to him about what you are looking for in a dog. He will be blunt and honest with you and will not try to sell you something you don't need or want.

As for his training - he will give you his opinions and the proof is in the results. He has fantastic results with many field championships and has helped numerous people train their dogs to be great hunting, trial, and hunt test dogs. Don't let those people out there that have never meet him or never really understood "his method" try to convince you otherwise.

Just to let you know about his business. I sent him an email a few months ago with a question about training. Within 2 days he personally called me 2x to make sure I got the answer I needed. I would not call myself his personal friend, but only an occasional client. I think that speak alot for the guy!

Good luck - buy a pup or even one of his started dogs. You will never regret it!

Nitrex

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:57 am

I do not know about his dogs but I like the way he approaches training bird dogs. With Birds first and then manners.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:55 am

I have been fortunate enough to see some young setters out of his breedings that one of his business partners was training on many occasions. Very stylish big running setters. I wouldn't hesitate getting one...