Need some help!

Gwyndon

Need some help!

Post by Gwyndon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:45 am

Brit vs. GSP

This is not to spark some war or debate but I am currently torn between these 2 breeds. I have to say I am leaning towards a brit but I could be easily swayed. What I need to know is there a distinct advantage one would have over the other?

I live in Michigan and do a lot of upland hunting in southeastern MI and northern OH. I have toyed with the idea of goose hunting but have no desire to duck hunt. The only real advantage I find a GSP has is the short hair which makes clean much easier after a day in the field. My girlfriend insists on a Brit because she hates short hair dogs. And she hunts with me so I need to consider her opinion. However if I can present a reason why a GSP would be a better fit I am sure she would come around.

Any thoughts?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:57 am

Do you hunt where there are alot of burrs or stickers? If not I wouldnt really worry about it. I run shorthairs for this reason.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:08 am

Both will get the job done in the field. Go visit a couple of good breeders and spend some time with both breeds and make your desision form there. There are some good brittany breeders in and around MI and I am betting some good GSP breeders as well.
I will pm you a few brittany breeders to check out, good luck in your search.

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Gwyndon

Post by Gwyndon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:52 pm

Thank you for the replies

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 am

If you're hunting in thick, dense, low cover, then I'd definitly go with a britt. Just this past weekend I was hunting pheasant and they were all running into the woods. Not staying put. They would just run right under all the briars where we couldn't walk. But the dog could just run right under them. He was able to push them out of the woods back into the field and hold 'em. I'm not saying a gsp couldn't do this, but they're definitly much bigger than most brits and dont' have the dense fur like a britt that helps with the stickers. However, on open ground, I've hunted with some big running german shorthairs that would just leave my britt in the dust. As for cleaning.....I think the worst part that gets stuck on all the junk in the field is right under the ears in the fuzz. But most guys I know shave that off during hunting season. Everything else in the coat is probably true with all dogs.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Gwyndon

Post by Gwyndon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Also I am open to any other suggestions that someone might be a better fit. I have been looking into GWP's Munsterlanders and Llewellins as well but I no little about these breeds

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Do you know anyone else in your area that hunts the same way you do? What kind of dogs do they run? Might be a start. I think there are several breeds that would work for you. Find a breeder that hunts the same area or type of cover and game that you hunt, these might help you get a start. There are very good dogs in all breeds. It just comes down to what you like.

Gwyndon

Post by Gwyndon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:39 am

Most of my experience has been hunting over GSPs

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:50 am

I'm sure whichever breed you choose ,you will feel you made the right choice. They both will do a fine job for you. I never considered it a problem with burrs, I do have to remove them once in awhile, but not everytime and usually only around the ears ,chest area and maybe a little on the feathering.Choose the one that most appeals to you in looks.
Brittanys are usually a little smaller , that makes it easier when they want to sit on your lap or share the sofa. :)

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:01 am

If you get a dog from the right lines either one can make you a great hunting companion.

If you hunt were there are burrs, briars, stickers, the long hair is a real problem.

If you hunt in snow a lot the short legs of the britt become an issue pretty quickly because ground clearance not only makes for more mobility it also cuts down of cuts, scrapes and abrasion of the dogs underside.

If you hunt where there's lots of cactus and poky stuff like where I am then ground clearance REALLY becomes a problem

You may have the girl friend for a year or so if you aren't heading for sure towards marriage. The dog however is likely to be part of your life for 12-15 years or more. Get the dog you want and if she's the "right girl" she'll be just as happy as you are with it. I know, I married a "brittany gal" HA! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

bobman

consider your personality

Post by bobman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:49 am

Shorthairs are tougher mentally and will be less likey to be adversly affected by a over correction mistake by you while training. If you have a real easy going nature this wont matter but if you have a quick temper the shorthair will be better able to cope.

These are generalities.

I like them both, but I find shorthairs a little easier to train, for my personality.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 pm

This is simple. get yourself whatever you want and get her what she wants. I'd suggest the short hair because I like them better, someone else will like the Britt better.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:08 pm

I think that you answered your own question with "The only real advantage I find a GSP has is the short hair which makes clean much easier after a day in the field.". I choose the shorthaired breeds for this reason but if it's not an issue for you then a Brittany would be a fine choice. My first 4 or 5 birddogs were all Bittanies that were either runts or had physical problems that probably would have been disposed of had I not bought them. I was humbled by their desire to hunt and their willingness to endure anything I asked of them.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Speaking from the female side of things the Brittany is most definately the dog with more "cuddle factor" :wink: The smaller size travels well, and depending on the lineage of the pup you choose, the coat isn't even a a factor ( just ask Maverick how easy it is to keep his boy clean).

Both are good bird dogs....but the Brittany is my preference. GSPs are a tad hard headed for this stubborn girl's taste :twisted:

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:42 pm

Some brittany lines definitely have longer hair then other lines.
My male Maverick dog is definitely a wash and wear kinda of coat, he doesn't pick up much of anything at all.
My female has slightly longer hair and does pick up some stuff but I spray her down with Show Sheen before we head out and what ever she does pick up slides out nice and easily.
Both my dogs are great in the snow and the thick cover pheasants love, and neither can run by the woods with out ruuning in to look for grouse!!
Go visit some breeders, see some of the dogs and make your desision from there. I am awefull attached to my brittanys, they are wonderfull hunters, great in the house and now that I am becoming addicted to trialing my male Maverick is just starting to come into his own!!!
Have fun and good luck with what ever breed you choose.

Mav......
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Kiki's Mom wrote:Speaking from the female side of things the Brittany is most definately the dog with more "cuddle factor" :wink:
Do you really think so? I am not sure my wife would agree :)

I wish she'd let ME sleep like that!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:14 pm

They get more cuddly as they get older for sure!!
They also become pillow hogs!!

Mav........

-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Gwyndon

Post by Gwyndon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:13 am

WildRose wrote: You may have the girl friend for a year or so if you aren't heading for sure towards marriage. The dog however is likely to be part of your life for 12-15 years or more. Get the dog you want and if she's the "right girl" she'll be just as happy as you are with it. I know, I married a "brittany gal" HA! CR
The girlfriend is not going anywhere we have been together for 8 yrs and are currently engaged.....So she gets a vote.

GL

Post by GL » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:56 pm

I have owned GSPs for the past 25 years and recently filled our dog-less void with a Britt pup.

No doubt about it here that the Britt has the cuddle factor all over the GSPs and are about as close to a lap dog as you could want.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the GSPs and I sure had a very nice life with them but I'm also sure the Britt will be our breed from now on.

My gal is simply "Wash and Wear" and rarely picks up much of anything in the field.

Gary

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:28 pm

If you want a dog that is a lap dog but has short hair look at a Vizsla. I have a Ten year old male that sits in my chair with me till I go to bed just about every night. I mainly run shorthairs and prefer them, but I would take another V like my old man Rooster in a second. I have a special place in my heart for that dog.

Gwyndon

Post by Gwyndon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:58 pm

I don't want a lap dog....

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:09 am

Kiki's Mom wrote:Speaking from the female side of things the Brittany is most definately the dog with more "cuddle factor" :wink: The smaller size travels well, and depending on the lineage of the pup you choose, the coat isn't even a a factor ( just ask Maverick how easy it is to keep his boy clean).

Both are good bird dogs....but the Brittany is my preference. GSPs are a tad hard headed for this stubborn girl's taste :twisted:
Ok, I have to ask, where are people buying these "hard headed" GSP's?
I have read this comment on this site a number of times. Are they hard headed, or is it handler issues?
I have owned 3 gsp's and they are the most biddable dogs that I have had the opportunity to work with.
When I think of a hard headed dog, our labrador comes to mind.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:11 am

Hubbie Brian, who is a pro has trained MANY GSPs for companion hunters. At one time my kennel was a 50/50 ratio of Gsp's to Brits ( we had a 40 dog boarding/training kennel establishment before relocating to PA)

They are hard headed. Biddable to a degree, yes.... but when it comes to the nitty gritty of "getting it", no matter on what level of training ( be it basic manners, to yard work, to field work) for the most part, they take more repetitions of the same lesson then do other breeds before the light bulb goes on.
:wink: Must be the German in them :wink: The Germans are a stubborn folk too :roll: preferring to do things "their way" until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt that there is a better, easier, faster way 8) I know...I'm 1/2 German and my husband often likens me to a GSP and not always kindly....

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:21 am

I dont think you can generalize an entire breed as needing more reps in training, these kind of triats usually are better attributed maybe certain blood lines within a breed, but even more so individual dogs. I have dealt with hard headed GSPs and Brits. I have also dealt with biddable of both of those and even a couple of very biddable pointers.

Look a GOOD dog is where you find it, a good dog doesnt look like any one breed, it can look like a any breed you choose. So pick a breed you like and find a breeder producing the kind of dog you want.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:41 am

In my mind hard headed does not say the dog isn't a good dog. All it says is the dog is strong willed. That is not necessarily a fault but it does show when you are working with them. And I agree the breed is stronger willed than the Brits but are just as good a birddog. Many trainers like a little hard headed attitude as it makes a dog easier to work with as it can take corrections without falling apart.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 am

Iffff gsp's are so hard headed, why is it when a first time dog handler comes to this site asking for advice on what breed would be a good fit for him, why do so many recommend the gsp?
A hard headed dog would not be my recommendation to a newbie.
Could it have anything to do with the fact that these dogs are so willing to please and that they are out of the box gun dogs?
"Hard headed" ? NOT
Maybe a better description of the breed would be confident.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:57 am

Hard headed is exactly what a first time trainer needs. It's hard to screw up a dog that is strong willed enough to forget what you are teaching unless it is repeated many times. I agree with Helen, GSP's are harder headed but that doesn't mean they are not as good. It makes them easier to work with for many people. A softer timid dog is a real challenge sometimes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 am

When I think of "hard-headed" I think of dogs that are extremely focused on hunting and game and might take a bit more will and force in training, but have no problem with that level of training.

Both my GSP's would be guilty on those counts. Common perception that such dogs are easier to train and take to training more quickly (i.e. you can finish them or hunt them at an earlier age) than dogs than "soft dogs" that slink off, shut down, stop hunting, get confused, etc. with training pressure.

For what you have stated as desires I think either breed would work fine. GWP's might be another to look into.
Last edited by Windyhills on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GL

Post by GL » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 am

Of the three GSPs I had the very best hunter was the most hard headed of the bunch. I can't say I agree with the term hard headed but I will say a strong willed and confident dog is a plus in the field.

My Britt is certainly alot more sensative where corrections are concerned and I am sure she would take great offense to very stern correction if I were to hard on her.

I would never pit one breed against another on matters such as this because I firmly believe every breed has it's own traits and even some disadvantages but I think most is either handeler caused or particular lines of said breed.

My best GSP hunter was so competetive he was unrully around other dogs and had a tendency to become deaf about my commands. Out in the field by himself he was a work of art. The only thing that could take his mind off of hunting birds was the scent of a Porcupine and this is where hard headed became a very real issue. He lost every battle with them and I became insensed with his rediculous hatred of them.

Gary

Texas_Quail

Post by Texas_Quail » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:18 pm

I have Brits here in Texas and dont really have too much of a problem with burrs n such..as said earlier trim them down a bit it'll grow back..my wifes a dog groomer and thats my BIGGEST help :D