Kansas Hunters????.......anyone?....anyone?

Daniel in Ak

Kansas Hunters????.......anyone?....anyone?

Post by Daniel in Ak » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Is there any Kansas hunters here? Looks like we are PCS'ing to Kansas July of 08 and Im already looking forward to the bird hunting.But I will miss my Grouse hunting up here.Daniel

V-John

Where...

Post by V-John » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:12 am

Where are you PCSing too?

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:46 pm

I think ryan77 is from Kansas.
I know he is not from Texas anyway.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Whatever PCS'ing means?.?.? :roll: (We call it moving around these parts) :lol: I take it that is a military term. I am in Kansas, what part are you PCS'ing to?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:58 pm

[quote="topher40"]Whatever PCS'ing means?.?.? [quote]

PCS-Permanent Change of Station

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:28 pm

Roger that :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:33 pm

By the way, I found out today that I'm not PCSing to Kansas as planned. I'm going to Texas instead.

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:22 pm

Where going to Fort Riley...Been looking at buying a home in the West Manhattan area.

Hey Pryor Creek,where in Texas you going to?Hopefully not Hood.

And hey topher40 where moving to the them thar parts down south aways! :) Daniel

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:43 am

I just got back from Kansas. They have a bunch of good Walk In Hunting Area's. Some better than others. Take a look at the Kansas Wildlife department web page. You can download an Atlas that has all of them marked. I was in the SW area Map 25 and did very well. In the 4 days the three of us brought back 36 Pheasant.

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:32 am

grgdog66, Thanks for the info on the website.And you have me all fired up for some Pheasant hunting and Im still 7-8 months away from getting to Kansas :) Thanks again! Daniel

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 am

I was stationed at Hood in Tx ( a long time ago) if I was you and you could do anyting about it I would desperately try for Kansas.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

V-John

I...

Post by V-John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 am

I live in Manhattan, have lived there for a lot of years. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Mav&Lizzy

Post by Mav&Lizzy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 am

V-John, Kroll, How is the season going? Having much luck locally? Mines been pretty decent.

V-John, once deer season is over we'll have to get together and look for birds. Call or email as I don't have a lot of time lately for the boards!

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:56 am

Daniel in Ak wrote:grgdog66, Thanks for the info on the website.And you have me all fired up for some Pheasant hunting and Im still 7-8 months away from getting to Kansas :) Thanks again! Daniel
I'm Sure Ft Riley has a Sportsman's center (Ft Sill does anyway) so you can probably hunt there on post.

V-John

Well!!!!

Post by V-John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 am

Good to hear from you! I was beginning to wonder where the heck you've been! We definitely need to get together... Are you still on the PDJ board as well?

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:24 am

gwgdog66 wrote:
Daniel in Ak wrote:grgdog66, Thanks for the info on the website.And you have me all fired up for some Pheasant hunting and Im still 7-8 months away from getting to Kansas :) Thanks again! Daniel
I'm Sure Ft Riley has a Sportsman's center (Ft Sill does anyway) so you can probably hunt there on post.
I hunted Ft. Riley last wed. I posted about that on another board, and here is what I had posted....

Well, today I hunted Ft. Riley. Tough experience. Ok, it was my first time there, and I was doing some scouting and wanted to hunt a little bit before dark. I had just gotten off work, picked up the dog, and rushed over to post.
I was driving along, and looking for a place to hunt. I ran into a deer hunter, so I pushed on to avoid him. (Archery season) I was driving along and on top of the hill I see a Bradley Fighting vehicle. Ok. No big deal, maybe it was busted or something. Then I look up and see another one behind it. So number one, I'm thinking... Did I hear the recording right? (the recording is a recording that you have to call prior to going out there so you know what areas are closed)

Then I think, oh crap, I'd better turn around and get the heck out of there. I bust out of there, and sure enough they start to follow me, but I turn off onto a different road, and continue to hunt and scout. I stop and get out, and start hunting an area. I'm looking for feed plots. I walk quite a ways with the dog running all over. He's working hard, running all over, doing what he does. I see a food plot through a patch of trees. I think, yes! I go and hunt that. I go through, and I start towards the plot with my dog. I look over to my left, and see something strange moving... Something not really natural. I look again, and it's a deer hunter waving at me. I wave back,
I think, crap, I grab the dog and head back. I've had enough. Dog runs all over again, and I head back to the truck. Just about the time I get close to getting back to the road, a game warden stops me. No big deal, I have everything in order. I ask him if we can go back to the truck so I can put Riley up. He's a nice guy, and as Riley is jumping on him, (yes, I know terrible manners.. Yes, I'm working on it... ) he leaves a blood streak. I look at his leg. Oh crap. Riley had somehow gotten into some razor wire. I had been warned that it is out there, but man. This was bad. He had a five or six inch gash on his front leg. It was the cleanest cut I've ever seen. It flayed him open all the way down to the muscle. I could fit two fingers in the gash. Easy.
I honestly couldn't cut that clean with a knife. They ain't a kidding when they say razor.
Three things.
Poor Riley had to go to the vet and stay the night because they were closing when I took him in. The vet had a bunch of other appointments but was still able to take him in.
However, I think that Riley and I are "bleep" lucky. It cut the skin and flayed him open. But it could have been much, much worse. I don't think that tendons or muscle was cut. It just stopped at that. I thank my lucky stars for that. As much fun as it was to try to clean that up and get him to the vet, I still am thankful it wasn't worse.
I will never, ever hunt my dog without orange on him. If that dog had not been wearing orange and made a wrong turn into the deer hunter's area, he could have shot.
The game warden was a great guy, nice guy, turns out we have a mutual friend, and he showed me some spots to hunt for quail. Now if I can work up the courage to go back.
One other thing. It is surreal hunting, seeing hum-vees, Bradley fighting vehicles, and hearing machine guns, and artillery (LOUD) in the background. Just absolutely surreal.

The deer season is different on post as well. It's not difficult to get access to Ft. Riley if someone needs further clarifcation, I'd be happy to explain.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi V-John,

I read that post on the other board. How is Riley doing?

V-John

He's...

Post by V-John » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:47 pm

Doing ok, thanks for asking. I picked him up last night, he had a deep cut, muscle damaage but thankfully no tendon damage. That was my number one worry, so he had muscle stitched up then had the skin stitched up. Man, that cut was so clean, it was amazing....

Mav&Lizzy

Re: Well!!!!

Post by Mav&Lizzy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:25 pm

V-John wrote:Good to hear from you! I was beginning to wonder where the heck you've been! We definitely need to get together... Are you still on the PDJ board as well?
I haven't had a chance as of lately.

spaniel_man

Post by spaniel_man » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:18 pm

I just joined and saw this post. I am also from Manhattan area. I have been warned by a retired army officer to be carfull of the razor wire on post. Aparently its fairly common for strands to be "forgotten" in the field makeing this type of accident all to common. On the other hand Kansas does have a nice Walk In Hunting program if your willing to do some driving.

V-John: If you ever want a partner in exploring NE Kansas shoot me a PM.

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks Spaniel_man.Been talking to V-John getting info on the area around Manhattan.

Yeah I'd hate to have my dogs run into that razor wire.I'll have to explore the area and see what I find before I really turn em loose.

As for driving that never bothers me.I've driven 7 to 13 hours one way to hunt relics and hunt big game.You know how it is gotta go where they are.

Ive already got some areas for a relic hunt lined up in Western Kansas and South Western Nebraska,so the driving is nothing :)

I'll have to do my research in the Walk in area's and again thanks.Im truly looking forward to my 1st Pheasant hunt.

BTW! this is for everyone are there and feral hogs in Kansas?Daniel

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:26 pm

I have heard that there is a feral hog population on Ft Riley plus a season for them. Not sure of the details and I think the opportunities are few due to the fact that they have a permit drawing in place with few permits available.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 pm

cool! Ill have to check into that more.Really I dont care how far I ahve to go for a hog....Ks,okla,Mo I'll find out.
And you know thats how the drawing system works to many people not enough tags.Gotta try anyhow.ThanksDaniel

gmanksu

Kansas Feral Hogs

Post by gmanksu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Feral hogs are now illegal to pursue and hunt in the state of Kansas. They are now under the auspice of the Kansas Animal Health Board as a nuissance animal (feral therefore they are not truly "wild" animals). This was put into place due to the line of thought from KDWP and the KAHB that hunting pressure dispersed the typically concentrated populations pockets that exist in areas of the state. I think the hogs are being hunted via helicopters and machine gun in certain areas, this method so far is controlling the population from spreading rapidly and also has been employed by Ft. Riley for years to control their "pig" population. The link below gives more detail:

http://www.morningsun.net/stories/09050 ... 5001.shtml

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:34 pm

gmanksu.thanks a million for the info.Guess I'll head south to Okla If the wife wants a hog that bad.Daniel

spaniel_man

Post by spaniel_man » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:03 pm

If your looking for hogs, check out Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, I hear they have a fairly large population on post. Also if your lucky enough to get drawn there are also a few elk around and on Fort Riley.

Daniel in Ak

Post by Daniel in Ak » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks about Leonardwood.I heard about the Elk already :) as my wife's soldier is getting stationed down at Riley also and her husband called me up all excited,Think we might give it a try while there.Might be hard as I might stay here in Alaska and work during the summers.

You ready to give them Elk a shot on Riley?Daniel