Converting a 1 Dog Kennel to a 2 Dog Kennel...

mtlee

Converting a 1 Dog Kennel to a 2 Dog Kennel...

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:32 am

I'm entertaining the thought of getting a pup some time in the not so distant future and have been running a few things through my head. First off, I've read on here its bad to keep a pup in a kennel with an older dog. Currently I have a 10'x10' kennel elevated on a treated lumber base to keep the dog off the ground. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy one panel of the chain link with a door and move one of the existing panels to the middle of the 10'x10' creating a barrier. I would then put the new panel with door up to replace the other panel. That would make 2 5'x10' enclosures with 2 doors. Any downside to doing this? I don't want to buy a whole new kennel. Thanks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Sounds good to me. Not the ideal shape for a kennel run but it will work fine if you have the dogs out everyday anyway.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:18 pm

mtlee,

I can't beleive you posted this, I was going to ask the same exact question. I too have a 10'x10' kennel elevated on treated lumber. I was thinking about taking the panel with the door and using it as the divider and then seeing if I could get someone to build me a another 10x10 panel with two doors on each side. Don't know how much that will cost but that is one thing I thought of.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:56 pm

KY Grouse Hunter wrote:mtlee,

I can't beleive you posted this, I was going to ask the same exact question. I too have a 10'x10' kennel elevated on treated lumber. I was thinking about taking the panel with the door and using it as the divider and then seeing if I could get someone to build me a another 10x10 panel with two doors on each side. Don't know how much that will cost but that is one thing I thought of.
I don't know if you can buy a single panel. If you find out where let me know! I think this idea sounds way better than buying another kennel.

Ezzy,

They'll be let out regularly, they'll just be in there while I'm in class.

briguyz71

fence panel

Post by briguyz71 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:27 pm

If you're ever in Georgia I know of a fence company that will sell you a panel by itself and will make it to order. I ordered my door panels 6 foot wide from them.
Bri

mtlee

Re: fence panel

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:54 am

briguyz71 wrote:If you're ever in Georgia I know of a fence company that will sell you a panel by itself and will make it to order. I ordered my door panels 6 foot wide from them.
Bri
What part of GA? I am in the Clemson, SC area every now and then.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:21 am

Priefert makes panels in 5 x 10 sizes. I added this 4 run system to my kennel last summer and it works fine. The 5x10 runs are adequate provided the dogs get daily exercise.
Last edited by highcotton on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am

Matt,

You will be fine doing that. In fact Lowe's sells a pen just like the one you are thinking of converting your present one to. I have one that I bought in a pinch to put a couple of rescue dogs in.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Matt,

You will be fine doing that. In fact Lowe's sells a pen just like the one you are thinking of converting your present one to. I have one that I bought in a pinch to put a couple of rescue dogs in.

Yep, I called Lowe's today...~80 bucks for a 6'x10' panel with gate...not bad!

briguyz71

Post by briguyz71 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Near Marietta. Look in your phone book under fences and see if you have any that make fence and the might be able to help. Also check hardware/tractor supply company I've seen them there.
Bri

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:02 pm

briguyz71 wrote:
Near Marietta. Look in your phone book under fences and see if you have any that make fence and the might be able to help. Also check hardware/tractor supply company I've seen them there.
Bri
I know exactly where you're talking about, a girl I dated lived in Marietta so I've been there a few times. I found some at Lowes for what I think is a reasonable price....but I'll check Tractor Supply...thanks.

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:36 pm

if your kennel is set up so the door is on the north, move the panel on the south into the middle, and buy another 10ft with a door and put it up in place of the southside panel. I have done this with 3 10x10 kennels with great success.