Training Book For Horses

tnbirddogman

Training Book For Horses

Post by tnbirddogman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Does anyone know of a book specificly for the training of fieldtrial horses? I know Brad Harter publishes articles about horse training in FIELD TRIAL MAGAZINE, but i dont know if he has a book. Any help would be appreciated.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 pm

I don't know if it would be of any use toward a FT horse or not but i found great use from a book by Brenda Imus "Gaits Of Gold". it is an indepth overview of what is needed for the gaited horse to be comfortable and collected to gait properly allowing the rider the most comfort. Well worth the read. She also has a video out that is very informative. see it at www.gaitsofgold.com

FWIW

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Here's some really good material...

http://www.kbrhorse.net/misc/fb-wha.html

tnbirddogman

Post by tnbirddogman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the help and info. I am getting myself and my daughter a new TN Walker for Christmas, and I have thought about going to a few horseback trials to check them out.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:10 pm

TN I did some looking and really didn't find anything that would directly answer questions about training field trial horses.

However I've been training horses since I was a kid, and you've got some folks on this site that have been field trialing longer than that.

Between the "old pro's", myself, and the other field trialers on here any direct questions you could ask of us I'll bet we can come up with some common sense answers and "how to's" for. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

tnbirddogman

Post by tnbirddogman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 am

Point taken.

Flush

Post by Flush » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:40 am

Like Casper mentioned, there is the "Gaits of gold" book. In addition there is "Easy-Gaited Horses" by Lee Zeigler. Both of these books aren't specific to field trials, but are very specific about gaited horses and address how they move and why, and what to do if you are having problems with gaits.

I have both of these two books and I think the one by Lee Zeigler is a little more indepth as to the "why and hows" but both are very good for a novice like me.

I don't know about a book about specific things for trials, but like Charlie said you could ask here. My approach is to at least get comfortable trail riding first with other horses and "normal" trail issues and then graduate to trials. My understanding is back east a fair number of non-dog people show up to trials just for a trail ride. I heard a lady say once, "We are going to a "field-trial" ride, I don't know what a trial is, but it involves dogs and the rides are fun"!

Here is a website for Lee Zeigler (who recently died) it has some pretty good articles on-line that get into the mechanics and body positions of certain gaits, etc. It seems complicated, but the reality is I think we owe it to the horses to at least try to learn how to ride them the best we can.

http://www.leeziegler.com/articles.html

Have fun,
Flush

tnbirddogman

Post by tnbirddogman » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks for all the info. Once i bond with the horse and ride him a few months, then i will be posting some questions.