top brittany's

up-hunter

top brittany's

Post by up-hunter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:45 pm

HI guys i know there are some guys on here who run there britts in nastra and other competitive venues. I was wondering which kennels are putting out the top dogs.

i'm thinking about a britt and if i go with a britt or any breed in general i want to find the best dog i can, and i'm willing to travel to get it, i think it's worth it in the long run.

A little back ground on me is i hunt grouse and woodcock in the UP of Michigan and i'm also thinking about getting into some of the dog games one of these days.

I hunt mainly grouse and woodcock if that matters at all.

thanks guys

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:49 pm

There is no one kennel that produces the best dogs. As a matter of fact there are probably no two people who could agree on what is the best dog. The answer to your question is find some breeders in your area(there are some good ones up there) check out their dogs and find what you think are good dogs that perform to your standards. Once you find them then get a pup from their breeding and you should be happy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Don't know if these folks are still running dogs, but I have been impressed in the past with some of the accomplishments they have had.

Pat & Loyd Carney
Locar Brittanys, ph: (978) 774-8149

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Ditto what Ezzy & Scott said.If you wish to talk to me ,send me a PM. I don't want to come off tooting my horn too much.I have trialed and bred Brittanys for 40 years. Traveled pretty far and attendant most of the Nationals since 1980.Most of the titled dogs on pedigrees I have seen in the field.Most of our puppies go to hunters but I have bred field champions,some show champions, 2 futurity winners,and classic winners.I go where I need to not where it is convenient when it comes time to add dogs. I have bought or bred to dogs in CA,KS,CO,NY and have had bitches sent to us for breeding from all around the country.
We have 2 females available that will be ready to leave Feb.1st. We are located in Oh.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:55 pm

There is a litter in the mix on its way here in NJ with both the 2005 and 2007 NGDC involved. One, a sire, one a dad of the dam. I have part of this breeding in my Ginger. Karen is more in touch with this than I am. You may want to PM her.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 am

My father runs NSTRA with his male brittany and wanted a female brittany as well. He did a lot of searching and finally decided on Beeline's brittanies. His new pup is out of Nolan's Last Bullet's bloodline with Bullet, the 2006 NSTRA Grand Champion, as the sire.

I watched the pup for over a week now and one thing is clear to me. She is not timid, but also not overly dominant. She has a great disposition and is not afraid to explore.
Last edited by Grange on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:32 am

Hit Brits (www.hitbrits.com) has a litter on the ground sired by the 2005 NGDC (NGDC FC AFC Buck's Hit The Road Jack) and have one in the oven sired by the 2007 NGDC (NGDC FC Hit's For Pete's Sake) where the dam was sired by the 2005 NGDC I believe.

The litter on the ground now is a repeat breeding. I've watched 4 pups from the prior breeding develop over the last 2 1/2 years and they are all quite impressive. I would have loved to get in on one of those pups, but the timing was wrong.

I believe Marjos is expecting a litter sired by Marjo's Red Rum (2007 Nebraska Championship winner with something like 85 starters) also.

There are some really nicely bred puppies out there.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Hi Uphunter,

I think the last two brittany threads you started had some very good breeders listed. There does not seem to be just one kennel producing all the winning dogs out there. There are some pretty nice dogs running across the country right now.
I posted a link to Ron Auten's web site last time around, I know he has produced great dog consistantly for quite some time.
http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#83287

Mav.......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:12 pm

There are many good breedings out there

Beeline brittanys has produce a good line of hunting NSTRA and even some that have done well in other venues
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Flush

Post by Flush » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm no help with britts unfortunately, but If I were you and you I would at least check out the "cover-dog" trial breedings. These are trials run exclusivly on wild grouse and woodcock. I guess the bad news, for you, is that almost all cover dog trails are comprised of english setters and english pointers.

I'm not really all that familiar with cover dog events since they are not run in my part of the country, so maybe there are some brittanies that are running in cover dog events too, but I am not aware of any. Maybe some of the britt folks here are aware of britts competing in cover-dog events, or possibly seperate britt trials run on wild grouse?

I don't have any doubt that the britts who excel at AKC and AF as well as NSTRA sanctioned trials (mainly planted bird events) would do great in the grouse woods, I just like the concept of dogs proven in competition on the actual wild birds I hunt.

Anyway, If I were in the market for trial-bred pointing dog and my main focus was grouse and woodcock, I would certainly consider cover-dog breeding

I can't find a site that is all- encompassing in terms of telling all the details of cover-dog trials but here are a couple of places to get a little more information if you are interested.

http://geocities.com/foster_award/

http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/

Good luck

Pleasant Ridge

Post by Pleasant Ridge » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Beeline

Razor

Post by Razor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Call Rick Smith. He has some of the best blood in the country. Most Beeline dogs come from his lines. I have 4 out of his kennel and they are as good as they come. The Beeline stuff I have seen is not up to par with Rick's, Tilson's, Little's, and Walker's stuff.

Tony Brown

Post by Tony Brown » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm

I also like Rick Smith's dogs. I have three and all have done well. Nolan's Last Bullet has Rick's bloodline and Beelines Bullet Proof,2006 NSTRA Grand National champ is Nolan's Last Bullet x Sage Baez Patron (out of Rick's kennel). So it seems Nolan Huffman likes Rick's bloodline also.