New Mexico Help

jwenorthpark

New Mexico Help

Post by jwenorthpark » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 am

Hi,

Wondering if any of you guys have ever been quail hunting in New Mexico? We'll be spending Christmas with relatives in Las Vegas (NM, not NV) and I got to thinking that chasing a few birds down there could be fun!

Would love to hear any thoughts people have. Since the quail might entail a long drive (I've heard they're only in the extreme southeast parts of the state), I'm also interested in grouse hunting opportunities people might know about. We'll be there from Dec 24th till around the 27th, which I know is during quail season.

Thanks in advance!

J

jwenorthpark

awwwww c'mon

Post by jwenorthpark » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:19 pm

nobody's ever hunted in NM? there sure aren't a lot of posts in the archives on the subject either.

is this even worth my time to check out?

surely someone out there has something to say.

:D

-j

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:16 pm

I have not hunted quail there, but spent a summer chasing around the desert west of Albuquerque many years ago, staking claims for a mining company. We ran itnto quite a few blue quail.

Huge parts of NM are BLM land, and although you should check, I am pretty sure that is open to public hunting.

Email Terry Chandler, look him up at Rugerheim Kennel, he is in the Las Cruces area I believe. He could probably fill you in. There are also Gambel's I hear.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Boy, that bites. You have to leave beautiful Wisconsin to spend your Christmas in that sorry place.

Well, we were passing though Tucomcary about 2 years ago and blew a tire. I noticed the guy who owned the shop had a pair of pointing dogs so I asked him what the hunting was like in the area. He told me that he had hunted along the river on a usual basis and usually gets into plenty of Quail and Pheasant. I asked him if he ever saw many Bobwhite and he said he did.

Hope this helps,

Rowdy

jwenorthpark

thanks!

Post by jwenorthpark » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 pm

hey guys,

thanks for the tips! sounds like i'm headed on an adventure, just the kind i like. i'll let you know if anything much gets up out of the grass when i get back.

all the best and happy holidays.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:12 pm

how did your trip to NM go? Any birds? Might head that way soon...
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270