Raw nutsack?

tdhusker

Raw nutsack?

Post by tdhusker » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:44 pm

I don't know of a better way to ask so I'll just ask, what do you do about a male setter who gets very raw, to the point of a bleeding nutsack nearly every time we hunt? The cover, snow and various things contribute but this is my first setter and I've never had this problem with male dogs before. My hunting buddies all cringe just looking at the poor guy after a couple days.

Any solutions?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Just keep it clean
I wouldn't put any gooy ointments on before hunting as they only gathers more debris
but when your done try some corona ointment in the horse section at the feed store
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:03 am

Had the same problem with my guy.It started out West this year with the cockle burrs.Now before I go hunting I just put on some bag balm.To me the bag balm DOESNT let things stick to them like burrdocks ect.When I get home I make sure there clean.
They'll callious up.

The guys I hunt with would make fun of my pup because they (nads) are big and say I should get em cut off.I dont think so.

bird

Post by bird » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:39 am

Last edited by bird on Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:30 am

As far as them getting calloused and tougher, it hasn't happened yet and he gets hunted quite a bit. The problem is setters have such soft skin and no hair on the part in question. My other dogs, Labs and GSP, both had a higher riding, less susceptible pair (if that makes any sense).

I'll try the petroleum jelly. I just hope my buddies dont get a picture of my applying the ointment. I could end up in prison or something.

john

Post by john » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:50 pm

I'll second the vaseline.
I have never used it on a dog, but if you ever have a long ruck march it can work wonders

bird

Post by bird » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Last edited by bird on Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danro

Post by Danro » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:05 pm

what do you guys do about snow balls forming in and aroudn the pads and hair on the dogs feet? I've heard vaseline for this too, but I wouldn't think it would last very long. sometimes the snow accumulates so much that we need to stop the hunt and get warm water on this because he can't even walk anymore. sorry about changing the topic but I need to know because we'll be hunting in snow this weekend.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:29 pm

bird wrote:
tdhusker wrote: I'll try the petroleum jelly. I just hope my buddies dont get a picture of my applying the ointment. I could end up in prison or something.
You mean pictures something like this? lol

This is a picture of when I was applying some petroleum jelly to Grif a few years ago. This particullar spot that we were hunting was very dry and full of some really harsh vegatation like ragweed and horseweed. Grif would get pretty raw around the eyes, nose and the inside of his legs and chest. I would just cake some petroleum jelly on the areas that were irratated and no more problems.

uhhh, that's not his nutsack there, bird. :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Danro clip out all the coat you can in the paws.and spray with pam cooking spray or show sheen
or there is some other stuff I think it is called musher secret or something like that
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bird

Post by bird » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Last edited by bird on Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:46 am

kninebirddog wrote:Danro clip out all the coat you can in the paws.and spray with pam cooking spray or show sheen
or there is some other stuff I think it is called musher secret or something like that
The musher's secret works great.Thats what I use and its safe if the dog licks it.I also do the clipping of the hair inbetween the toes and pads.

Musher's secret stays on for along time,doesnt wear off fast.

The reason I use the bag balm on the nads is because theres also things in it for healing.Thats why they use it on cows utters and teets.