Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Forum rules
1) All SUBMIT YOUR SITE submissions must be related to topics of hunting, hunting dogs (and field trial horses), game animals/birds, hunting dog competitions, or related services, equipment, supplies, etc.

2) You must be the owner or authorized agent of the website that you're submitting for listing
behanna

Save Pennsylvania Pheasant Hunting

Post by behanna » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:34 pm

Visit or site http://www.pheasantspa.org

We are trying to save the pheasant propagation program in Pennsylvania.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:32 am

Good luck!!! Definitely well worth the effort! I'd be happy to come out and see the results some day! (hint, hint)

behanna

Your Welcome

Post by behanna » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:50 pm

Come on over anytime.

catfishsteve

pheasant hunting in PA

Post by catfishsteve » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:32 am

I read your website. I grew up in PA now live in Nebraska and offer the following observations.

If you want decent pheasant hunting in PA, (which in the last 40 years there has been precious little of) your money would be much better spent to abdondon completely the in season stocking program and concentrate your efforts on getting a habitat stamp program installed where the state would take the funds and buy decent land for all hunters and make habitat improvements that will benefit all wildlife.

It would also be of benefit to establish a walk-in program (if there is not one already) to encourage farmers and landowners to enroll on a annual basis land that they have in the federal CRP for walk-in hunting.

If you just want to just shoot pheasants, by all means, spend your money rasing birds at what?... $ 10 a pop. Most of them end up as food for coyotes and feral dogs and cats. If a hunter does find one, they are a poor imitation of the real thing at best.

But if you want real pheasant HUNTING, the hunters of PA will have bite the bullet and find and way to allocate and spend LARGE amounts of money to start acquiring land that is suitable for pheasants to live and reproduce in all year 'round.

It can be done, lots of states do it. The states that have good pheasant hunting have tons of great habitat and they charge the hunters accordingly to acquire, keep and maintain it. Most of those states have no state pheasant stocking program. They have generally been found to be a waste of money.

sdgord

pa pheasants

Post by sdgord » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:33 pm

Steve, I used to resent the habitat stamp money I paid. The misguided notion I had that the programs would not work. The walkin areas in South Dakota are some of the best hunting around. For both pheasants and prarie grouse, these programs work in the states that have implemented them. But all the partners have to be willing to allow it to work.SDGORD

catfishsteve

sdgord,

Post by catfishsteve » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 am

You are so right. The walk-in program in SD is a prime example of what I'm talking about. The CRP-MAP program in NE is also a good success story.

If you have habitat, you will have pheasants. If you have pheasants, you will have pheasant hunters. If you have pheasant hunters, you will have COMPETITION for the pheasant hunter's time and money and this will encourage other entities (private landowners and other sportmen's groups) to put their money into improving habitat to get a piece of that $$ pie.

I'm not saying that every state can be a SD or a NE (or IA!!) for pheasants, but the bottom line is it takes money to provide the year 'round habitat for pheasants needed to support pheasant hunting.

Even if you are releasing birds,you need habitat, otherwise, you are just feeding the vermin your $$. Studies of shown over and over that the biggest bang for the buck for pheasant hunting comes from habitat improvement.