Just a little brag

WildRose

Just a little brag

Post by WildRose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Well after three spring seasons of field trialing and a couple of fall trials scattered out over the same time period the list of possible "first time" things I have to look forward to is getting shorter and shorter.

I did however manage to have a pretty big first this last weekend in managing to win a 4 pt Open GD stake with something besides a GSP.

This weekend in NM I took my wife's little hairball carpet scrubber (also called a britt) Jonah to NM and he handily won the stake. Not only did he beat some other very nice brit's and GSP's he also beat all of my other GD's that were entered.

The little hairball laid out a very nice big shooting dog race had one find that it took me quite a while to get to and by the time I got on scene the bird had run out over fifty yards down the draw.

Our bracemate was backing so there was no option of trying to relocate so I took a Huge gamble. I know the judges very well and I know that they want to see a bird in the air no matter how far you have to chase it to do so. Anything less and you are very likely not to get a placement if that's your only find.

So off I run, and thankfully the bird got tired about a hundred yards down the draw and slowed down enough for me to kick at it (dang chukar) but it didn't actually fly till AFTER I fired my gun.

Out of breath I run back and sure enough the little hairball had stood it perfectly, never moved a foot and didn't let down.

I couldn't have been prouder.

We also won the puppy stake and took several more placements but getting this win for my wife who couldn't be there with us absolutely meant the world to both of us.

He's a really fine young dog (won't be 3 till October) with a brilliant future. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Congrats again Charlie. Jonah did a helluva nice job. He ran an outstanding race, and stood through a really difficult situation for a young dog. I enjoyed being braced with you two. I'm glad Ace was broke enough to stand through the whole ordeal without me around. I still think the first and second place dogs were in that brace, lol. :wink:
--Dave

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Keep that up and you will be qualified for the Brittany Nationals. Then what you gonna do? Can't say no to the wife easily now can you.

Give that Brittany an extra hug for me for having to live with all those Shorthairs.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 am

BIG CONGRATS Charlie!
and with a Swamp Collie no less :P

Before anyone creams me, I like the Brits A LOT and would have one in a second! Just gotta razz!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 am

Scott as I understand it, he IS qualified for the Britt nationals. If we could find more britt clubs that run open stakes we'd go to more of them. He beat a couple of the best britts I've ever seen this weekend and has the potential to beat most I've ever seen if he has a decent day.

Don't know if we'll try to get him to the nationals this year (won't even be three yet when they roll around I don't think) but that is the long term plan.

One thing for sure is that we probably have two or three more years until he really hits is peak and it's going to be a lot of fun watching him continue to grow and develop. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people