First NAVHDA test

Buzz

First NAVHDA test

Post by Buzz » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:42 am

Well, most of my family and friends don’t hunt, so you guys need to listen to my story about my first NAVHDA test. I ran my 12 mo old Weimaraner in his NA test last week. My dog was always nuts for birds right out of the box but did not seem to point. Contrary to some folks’ advice I was insistent on not commanding him into a point. I would have commanded him to steady a point but I wanted his instinct to come out first even if it meant not prizing. I could not afford a launcher and pigeons were in short supply so I just hunted him and kept my mouth shut. His water work was hit or miss. Tracking seemed to be his strong point, but you never know with tracking huh?
Well, it all came together on test day. He pointed. After almost not tracking at all, he recovered and amazed me with a track and retrieve that was out of sight, literally and figuratively. As for swimming, when he saw other dogs in the water, forget it. He almost drug me in the lake. A Prize II 89. Believe me, no man was ever happier with a prize II.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:56 am

Congrats! Dogs sure are prone to being surprising at times... good thing this was a "good surprise!" :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:57 am

That's awesome, CONGRATS!!!!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:28 am

Congratulations!!!

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:26 am

Congratulations.

Grey Ghost

Re: First NAVHDA test

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:35 am

Buzz wrote:I could not afford a launcher and pigeons were in short supply so I just hunted him and kept my mouth shut.
Buzz,
Do I read you right? It sounds like essentially no training whatsoever, you just took him hunting and let nature take it's course. Or are you referring only to bringing out the pointing instinct?

Either way, congratulations. A Prize II is something to be proud of.

By the way, do you have one of McTuna's pups?

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:18 am

I would not call it no training whatsoever, but I think you read me right. I was referring to the pointing instinct. He was chasing birds. I did not want to try and verbally convince him to point. (Would that even be a point?). I did not want to risk him confusing me trying to steady him with something negative around birds.
He was incouraged to swim and we played a few tracking games. But most of his training was fun time on birds. Yes this is one of McTuna’s.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:36 am

Buzz wrote:I did not want to try and verbally convince him to point. (Would that even be a point?).
I feel the same way.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Wonderful!!!!