GSPCA National Amateur Walking Field trial......

QCBirddogs

GSPCA National Amateur Walking Field trial......

Post by QCBirddogs » Sat May 20, 2006 3:47 pm

I am proud to say was won by......

FC QC's Prime Suspect! Handled by Bill Monk.

Thanks to her owners JEn and Sean for letting me train and campaign her, and carrying it through and letting the dog show her potential.

Phil
Last edited by QCBirddogs on Sat May 20, 2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:05 pm

Nice win Phil. Congrats

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:26 pm

Congrats Ezzy!!!!

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Sun May 21, 2006 12:26 am

Nice job Phil......Any info on other placements?

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun May 21, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks guys!

The other placements were:

2nd Tulli's Scatback

3rd. Harters Rush in Sage

4th was one of Kattie Tazza's dogs....not sure which one yet.

Phil

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Sun May 21, 2006 9:10 am

Congrats.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun May 21, 2006 9:41 am

Congratulations! It doesn't get any bigger than that!

Best,

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Sun May 21, 2006 11:46 am

Just my opinion....But it is a dang shame that this event does not receive the same internet visibilty that the Nationals do in Eureka. I have searched all over the net and (except for the preliminary info on the GSPCA web site) there seems not to be one word about results or even running order.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun May 21, 2006 8:31 pm

I agree with you!

It's a walking event, doesn't rank up there in many opinions.

But it's a pretty good win just the same. The running order is on the MS web site. You will notice there are some pretty fine dogs in the order, and most of them are horseback dogs, As Sage is too!

I am not a big fan of walking events either.....but for the obvious reasons......it's a whole heck of a lot easier to handle of a horse and a might bit easier on the feet and lungs! lol

Phil

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 21, 2006 8:35 pm

Thats a great accomplishment! Many congrats!
brenda

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 pm

Phil.......What is the MS website? Thanks

larue

Post by larue » Mon May 22, 2006 5:38 am

lsk,the walking championship will get the same respect as the horseback events when the number of entries are the same.
In eureka the am gundog draws around 100 dogs,while this year the walking trial had 21 dog s entered,the 2nd seris of eureka is the same size as the whole walking trials total entries,this year.
The nagd had 4o some entries last year,which was better.
I would think this also does not improve the chances of ever going back to a rotateing horseback national championship,as the east coast trial had half of what was in the midwest last year.
It will be interesting to see how many entries they have in the southwest next year,hopefully it will grow,to a more respectfull number,of a national championsip in the gsp world.
This is not a cut,on the nagda,but for all gsp people who always wanted a national walking championship,it would be smart to
run your dogs next year,and get the entries up to a larger number,
as the requirements for the nagda are minimal,and I would think
growth in the trial would help its future.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Mon May 22, 2006 6:20 am

Kudos to Bill Monk for a great job of handling this fine animal.

I doubt if the Walking National Championship will ever get the attention that the horseback championships get because everybody knows that a walking trial is as much, if not more, about the handler than the dog. There is too much luck and physical abilility on the handlers part that can affect the whole performance.

If your dog has two finds in the first 10 minutes, your bracemate could be 1/4 mile ahead of you. If your dog decides that it is time to go to the front (like it would in any other trial), chances are that you wouldn't be handling your dog for quite a while.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon May 22, 2006 7:39 am

The website addy is www.modernsportsman.com scroll down to the testing and trialing forum.

Larue is right concerning the amount of entries in the Nationals in Eureka. But.....the number of dogs is up because of the number of professional handlers attending! There are many dogs entered that shouldn't be IMHO.

Personally, I think it should be for FC's only. As well as the requirements in wins should differ, but thats another thread.

It was nice to see judges that were somewhat "out of breed" too. Chuck & Diane do run a few GSP's, but are mainly Wiem trainers and breeders.

Phil

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Tue May 23, 2006 12:10 am

Thanks for the link Phil. Nice looking web site. I was stunned when I realized that the number of dogs entered was 21. To be clear, 21 darn fine dogs and winning it was a tremedous challange and an extraordinay accomplishment. Congrats again to you, Bill, Jen, Sean and one very good dog NAGDC FC AFC QC's Prime Suspect .

Larue. wannabe and you all have insightful comments about the lack of visibility for this trial. Those have the makings of very interesting topics for different threads. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when the event moves to the Southwest. My guess is that the entries will be much greater. My reason for that "guess" borders directly on your brief comment concerning the number of dogs that show up in Eureka for the AGD stake; and the reason for that. True, running off horseback naturally increases entries in any trial, but that is only because of the number of pros who show up with their "amateur" handlers. My guess (because of the proximity) is that there will be more than a few pros there having their "amateurs" run the dogs.

From the GSPCA web site regarding entry requirements for the event.

"Open to all AKC registered German Shorthairs that have placed in a three point or greater Open Gun Dog or Amateur Gun Dog stake while being handled by an amateur. All field champions and amateur field champions are also eligible to enter. Dog must be amateur owned and if co-owned both the owner and co-owners must be amateurs. Dog must be amateur handled during this event. "

While I fully expect to incite the wrath of some I would like to see the requirements changed to read: "Open to all AKC registered German Shorthairs that have placed in a three point or greater Amateur Gun Dog stake while being handled by an amateur. All Amateur Field Champions are eligible to enter..........................."

After all it is the NAmateurGDC............Why does an FC get a free pass into an event designed for walking amateurs? Or is it??????

Credit, where "credit" is due. I am not sure about Diane's background, but the other Judge, Chuck Parietti owns, breeds and competes very successfully with GSPs from Odyssey Kennels in Missouri. He has several Duals including DC AFC Sam Saint Max MH (deceased) who was, I think named Field Sire of the Year 2006 in the GSPCA.

http://www.odysseygsp.net/

Just my thoughts...........

larue

Post by larue » Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 am

the reason a fc is allowed is simple,the dog has earned the right to compete by becoming an fc.
The fc title qualifies for almost all championship stakes,with the championship at boonville being the one notable exception,where you need to have won a championship(ngspa),or be a runner up.
Now at eureka,if my memory serves me right,you need a 3 point or better WIN,not any placement to run your dog.There is quite a differnce from placeing and winning a major trial.
I hope the nagd continues to grow,and that more and more horseback guys cross over to run in it.I myself run quite a few walking stakes,and ran at portage last year.
Walking trials are going to play a big part in our sport,if we want it to continue to grow.
We need to have a way to get people started in field trials,or to allow them to run in them,without the costs of owning a horse.
Congrads to all who placed at the nagd,you should be proud.