1st Show Brag! Best of Winners Saturday and Sunday. 2 Points

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

1st Show Brag! Best of Winners Saturday and Sunday. 2 Points

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:32 pm

Our 1st Official Show Brag for both Jen and Dalin! They went Best of Winners on both Saturday, under Judge Houston Clark and Sunday, under Judge Desmond Murphy at The Black Diamond Cluster in Pa. This was in their 5th and 6th attempts together in the Ring! Neither had ever been in a Ring before this "partnership in crime"!! Quite a few Excellent GSP's and 3-4 Top Notch Pro Handlers in the ring to boot! 2 points down.

I'm a proud Papa!!!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

rkalgren

Post by rkalgren » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:49 pm

Welcome to the addicttive world of dog shows. We are glad you are doing so well.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:11 pm

Way to go! I`m a proud Grandma :!:
brenda

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 am

Congrats on your first show points!!

Mav....

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:01 am

Congrats!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 am

Too bad there werent a few dogs entered so you could have gotten more points with a good win like that. Best of winnersa is real good. Congrats.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

honeyrun

Post by honeyrun » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:51 am

Congrats Bruce, a fine start. Are we going to see you down in Southern Maryland for the 4 show circuit this weekend? Or are you going to the 4 day Howard County Circuit the next weekend? I have one of Baretta's pups from last year that I just started working on in our weekly handling classes. I will probably start showing him in August at the 3 day Harrisburg curcuit and the Mid Susquehanna shows the next weekend. Good luck and I am sure we will see you at some upcoming shows.

Ezzy333, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. There were only 3 females AND 3 males entered in the classes at these two shows. Had there been 2 more males, it would have been 2 points each day instead of just one. BUT THEN, one of those additional 2 males might have been the one to take Winners.

You take the points where you can get them. As with my gal, she only needs single points (she already has her 2 major wins, a 3 pt and a 4 pt major), so I target the shows that I think will yield the least entries so there isn't any competition so to speak. That is why I entered her out in Western PA and sent her with my daughter and a pro handler since I couldn't go. After this past weekend, she only needs 5 more single points.
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Hounds

Home of:
CH Baretta Vom Otterbach, MH, CGC, NA1, UTII, D1, AZP1 (GSP-German Import)
AM/Can CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, MH, NAI (GSP)
CH Honey Run's Impressive, JH, NAI (GSP)
BPIS CH Windkist's Stealin Hearts (Beagle)
GrCH Windkist Branston Talk About Me (Beagle)
CH Lanbur Windkist Rosalinda (Beagle)
Breeder of:
VC, CH Honey Run's Puck, MH
BIS, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, CD, MH, UTI(2xs), NAII
FC Honey Run's Hannah Barbara, MH
and many others

SharpMtn

Post by SharpMtn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:20 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Nice wins!!!!:)

Lara Spears

pear

Post by pear » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Good job Bruce !
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Awesome Job...Congratulations
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Mary

Post by Mary » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:26 pm

I knew it was just a matter of time. Keep up the good work he is a nice dog. Dalin and Jen look good together.
Mary

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:54 pm

Thanx Kindly All!

Cindy,

No, we're not going to either of those shows, we weren't sure we were ready for anything that big yet. We're not really sure where we will be going next, but we have been looking at the schedule. So many shows, so little time!!! :lol: Retta looked GREAT! Jesse really knows how to handle a dog to its fullest potential!

There was actually 4 dogs and 3 bitches, but we still needed the additional 2 dogs for the 2 pointer. Need 6 for 2 in that region...

Small Show??? Easy wins??? HAAAAA! Thats must have been what all the big names thought! Some of the top dogs in the Country showed up and they were all looking around like..."What are you doing here!?!?" Number 1 & 2 Irish Setters, #1 Otter Hound, #1 Britt, #1 Afgan and several others! Did get to watch the #1 & 2 Irish Setters duel it out in the ring and talk about some Showmanship! That was pretty awesome to watch!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

honeyrun

Post by honeyrun » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:29 pm

A few thoughts for you to ponder as you further your education about dog shows,

A big entry with handlers for one breed is not always a big entry for other breeds. It depends on if there are supported entries and or specialties attached to the shows. A big named handler in one breed, may not be a good choice as a handler in another breed.

When you head out to Western PA, Eastern Ohio and northern WV you will always run into Neil Ritter and his wife, it never fails. :wink: That is his home turf. As with the Central and eastern PA shows you will run into a couple of well know breeders that are always at their home turf shows, Then you have a couple well known breeders in the MD/VA area. Home turf advantage will sometimes give a handler the upper edge.

Get your onesy twosy points out of the way and then when the pup gets a bit more maturity and is more ring savy, head for the shows that are historically majors for GSPs. The Mid atlantic region is probably one of the toughest regions to finish a GSP. There are plenty of majors in the area, but there is also plenty of strong competition. If you are looking for small shows, The late summer shows in the Altoona Area are always good ones to go to to try to pick up single points. Also the Cumberland MD show is always small.

Good Luck,
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Hounds

Home of:
CH Baretta Vom Otterbach, MH, CGC, NA1, UTII, D1, AZP1 (GSP-German Import)
AM/Can CH Honey Run's Shifting Gears, MH, NAI (GSP)
CH Honey Run's Impressive, JH, NAI (GSP)
BPIS CH Windkist's Stealin Hearts (Beagle)
GrCH Windkist Branston Talk About Me (Beagle)
CH Lanbur Windkist Rosalinda (Beagle)
Breeder of:
VC, CH Honey Run's Puck, MH
BIS, BISS, CH Honey Run's Spittin Image, CD, MH, UTI(2xs), NAII
FC Honey Run's Hannah Barbara, MH
and many others

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:15 pm

I never picked and chose. I went to every show that was close enough to get too. Some were big and some were small but I never worried about that. We did drive a little further sometimes if we thought a show would be bigger so we could get more points. When I finished Chip we drove to Michigan and took BOB for a 3 point major but we only needed one point at the time. Then on Sunday I didnt show him since Tiger still needed several points to finish. But all I wanted was an honest opinion from the judge and the better the competion the more fun it was. I never enjoyed going in a ring with little or no competion. I felt my dogs could compete with any and if they couldn't they didnt deserve to win or get a title. And I want it just that way.

The most expensive dogs you show are the ones that always come close to winning but seldom do. Its so hard to just pull the plug but sonmetimes it is the smart thing to do.

Anyway, it is a good start and just keep at it. Sounds like you are ready to win.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.