Heeeere’s Tilly

17Hunter

Heeeere’s Tilly

Post by 17Hunter » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:50 pm

Meet Tilly. 10 month old female GWP. We got her from a gentleman in PA that, unfortunately, due to his health could no longer take care of her. Brought her to Michigan last Saturday to join my male shorthair, Dax, that is 9 months old.

What fun it has been working with both of these great dogs over the last few days. A shorthair and a wirehair, best of both worlds. Cannot wait for this fall!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Re: Heeeere’s Tilly

Post by deseeker » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:21 pm

nice looking pup :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:22 pm

Excellent breed. While two individuals is too small number to draw any real conclusions, over time, we hope you will favor us with the differences between these two which you might attribute to breed rather than to personal characteristics. I hope you have a lot of time to put into training two young dogs of approximately the same age!

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:48 pm

I thought a lot about that; the time and patience factor, but I have been waiting 17 years to get another pair of bird dogs, so yeah I’m ready. Or so I think!

I will be glad to report on their similarities and differences.

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:03 pm

Beautiful!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:31 pm

Now you are going to be busy. :) Enjoy those dogs.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Boyu look at those eye's! She's ready!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:43 pm

Tilly has really taken to the water; much smoother than my shorthair. She is really coming along nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:06 pm

Isn't that great! LOL Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:45 pm

Wow, love it!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:54 pm

great looking gal. Fall should prove to be a great time for you all

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:35 pm

Worked Tilly on some quail from a launcher last weekend and she really did a nice job.

She caught one of the quail after it launched, which wasnt ideal but was okay. I was shooting dummy rounds while she was chasing.

She brought it right back to me with a nice soft mouth, but as soon as i asked her to give it to me, she clamped down. She would not give up that bird. I finally got it from her, but the whole time she was growling, never tried to bite me. As soon as i got it from her she was completely fine; tail waggin, jumpin around all excited.

I have never gone through force fetch and honestly dont know a lot about the training; would that help in this situation?

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:37 pm

17Hunter wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:35 pm
Worked Tilly on some quail from a launcher last weekend and she really did a nice job.

She caught one of the quail after it launched, which wasnt ideal but was okay. I was shooting dummy rounds while she was chasing.

She brought it right back to me with a nice soft mouth, but as soon as i asked her to give it to me, she clamped down. She would not give up that bird. I finally got it from her, but the whole time she was growling, never tried to bite me. As soon as i got it from her she was completely fine; tail waggin, jumpin around all excited.

I have never gone through force fetch and honestly dont know a lot about the training; would that help in this situation?
Yes, but how is she on canvas dummies? Might not be any reason to go through a full force training program. She just needs to understand the command of "leave it " (or whatever command you want to use for a release). One of my dogs was a natural retriever (GWP) and just needed a "take it" and "leave it", which you can even teach in short sections (note the "short") while sitting in a chair combined with some treats and praise.

On the other hand, maybe she hadn't just figured out what you want to do. Growling isn't always aggressive; sometimes it's kind of a playful thing and their way of talking. Depends on the dog. Practice with the dummy and see what happens. You can just press the lip against the tooth combined with the verbal command with most dogs to be followed by praise when you get a release, but teach it on non-birds first to get the point across.

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:17 pm

She is usually pretty good. She loves to retrieve, so when she gets really amped up I will sometimes have to give a pinch on her flank and she will give the dummie.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:39 pm

17Hunter wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:17 pm
She is usually pretty good. She loves to retrieve, so when she gets really amped up I will sometimes have to give a pinch on her flank and she will give the dummie.
Do you give her a specific command to release, or just leave it to her? It isn't precisely fun; it is a command. There are certainly people who jump up and down over the merits of force fetch -- which is not to denigrate the benefits for some dogs and under some circumstances -- but it sounds like you just need more practice at teaching release as a specific command.

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:10 pm

I use “give” as the command. I did not get her until she was 10 months old and she didn’t have the best life for her first 10 months.

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:23 pm

Weather finally cooled down enough to get out to work both dogs on some ground that holds a small amount of wild pheasants. Tilly jumped a deer 50 yards from the truck and had herself a little chase. Hopefully she looses interest in those soon.

Worked the dogs three different spots; no birds, but it sure was nice getting them out.

The one big difference in shorthairs and wirehairs that I have noticed is, the wirehair has drive for anything that moves; fur or feather. My male shorthair pretty much sticks to the feathered critters.

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:02 pm

You will need to do some trash breaking if you don’t want her to run deer. Your wire hair is likely going to like the feel of fur in her mouth just as much as feathers. At least that is certainly the case with both my Pudelpointers, which are one of the foundation breeds of wire hair’s.

jmez

Post by jmez » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:09 pm

You need to put a stop to that right now. Every time it happens it will get worse. Pretty soon she'll be hunting deer.

I would use an electric collar.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:03 pm

X2

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:50 am

She is e-collar trained and was corrected. That is why I am hopeful she wont fool with them. So far, so good.

She had a great day on Saturday; got in to a good batch of woodcock. She had 10-12 flushes and her point is starting to develop nicely. She had a great retrieve on 1 bird that I shot for her.

She did jump a rabbit and I was able to call her off that with “leave it”.

clbrown23

Post by clbrown23 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:33 am

Enjoyed reading how your ( late coming to you ) GWP is coming along. She is a good looking pup, will be picking up my first GWP this weekend.