Pups first cubby

phantomfire

Pups first cubby

Post by phantomfire » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 am

I officialy have the gun dog bug. I took my 4 month old GSP out yeterday for a walk / training session along this creek near my house. we walked about 3/4 a mile down a dirt road and just worked on drills we have done in the back yard. The wind changed into our face and Sammy's nose went directly to the ground. I figured he got wind of something but thought it was pig or deer scat as he likes to point Poo piles sometimes ( I guess I know his nose works). He kept on working and pauseing aroud an old pile of brush and kept looking at me like I was supposed to take the next step. Like a total newb I didnt trust my dogs nose. I walked off a bit trying to get him to come along and flushed 10 to 12 quail. Talk about proud daddy!! This is my first gun dog, so I am learning as I go. But That was one of the neatest things I have ever seen while hunting. Well Just had to brag.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:54 am

That is so cool! Just keep him at it.

You might want to look into the Red Rock Biologics rattlesnake vaccine and snake breaking when he's of the right age (opinions vary as to the right age...I'm no expert).

Best regards,

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Phantom,

Are you thinking about attending the OK-NAVHDA training day on March 17th. You are more than welcome to come and visit, enjoy the company and work with your young pup.

Coveyrise64

phantomfire

Post by phantomfire » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:35 pm

I am planning on attending with my son. Mama gave me a kitchen pass since thats my B-day. I wanted to go to the last one but was working over the weekend. Do you have any recommendations for me and my pup on our first weekend there. I have been to the OK NAVHDA home page and did some reading. Is there anything additional I should know or is it all pretty much there. I figured I would bring the typical kit load out, food water training aids.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Phantom,

Your pup, water, a lead rope, pair of gloves and when we break for lunch a couple of lawn chairs. We should have pigeons for reasonable price and since your pup is still young we have a training group for them. The group leader will ask a few question about everyones training/hunting plans and start from there.

See you Saturday...

Coveyrise64

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Pretty neat that the pup found the covey of quail. Try to get him in that area more and see if he will start pointing them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.