Accomplishment ....2 down 8 to go...

Kiki's Mom

Accomplishment ....2 down 8 to go...

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:29 am

She was born the only orange in a batch of liver babies. She has a very thin blaze that runs down the side of her face instead of down the middle and gives her a homely look. She was first out of the whelping box, first to wean, first to point the baby pharoah quail I purchased to introduce to the litter to birds at 10 weeks old. She simply *was* and therefore I kept her.

It has been a really fun fall trial season for me. Little Kiki...also known as Wild Mtn's Thunderstruck has been continuing to catch my eye as well as the eyes of others. When I put her down in a trial you simply can't help but watch her go. 8)

She has been in the ribbons every time down. She has garnered every placement in the rainbow so far including a couple of reds. This weekend she laid it down. She still has a very immature pattern to her run but she managed to hit all of the likely places anyway. She found a covey, a pair, and stopped to point a single that was sitting tight enough for her older, wiser, brace mate to have missed. She WON the Open Puppy stake!!!

Then, entered for the first time as a Derby dog, on request by someone who was interested in possibly purchasing her, she did it again....turned her loose on a course that was thick with lots of tight turns that to many who know that game would call a true hunting dog's course.....the dogs have to be HUNTERS in order to really look good on this course. She was braced with a 16 month old English Pointer ..who was all legs and all speed.....
Kiki is just 7 1/2 months old....

She laid it down again....and just as the sand was running out of the hourglass, she snapped point....intense and stylish on a covey in the hedgerow and STOOD long enough for me to get off and fire!!!!!!

OH MY GOD....she WON the Maryland Brittany Club's Open Derby stake too!!!!! The pointer took home the red ribbon.

Just a small trial....only a single point in each stake but she now has 2 points toward her FC and I am just as thrilled as can be with my little orange girl who happens to not be so pretty. To me, she is simply beautiful.
And NOT for Sale. :)

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:51 am

BIG CONGRATS! Sounds like a great weekend was had! Were you handling?

I had wanted to come over and run some dogs in that Trial, but lack of a Wrangler, or friends with horses there, put a damper on it for me. I've gotta find a way to afford a good TWH.....sigh....
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:28 am

Congrats. Every small step is one closer to the end of the journey and it can be a very long walk!

I haven't been in this game long enough yet to let the thrill fade from every placement. My first win was in a puppy stake, next in a derby with her littermate and I can still remember every winning perormance since nearly step for step.

Even in small stakes a win has meaning. First your dog has to meet the minimum requirments for the stake, next they have to beat the other dogs entered that met them as well. Whether you have the best of five or the best of 55 that day you still deserve to be proud.

I had a little "project dog" similar to yours a couple of years ago. She was half the size of any dog in the litter but with three times the heart. In 14 times down in puppy and derby stakes she placed 12 of them and won four of them. One of my clients thought they needed her worse than I did and I sure miss her. I can really appreaciate how you feel.

Again congrats. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:32 pm

A huge congrats on your success with your puppies!! I know how mch work you and Brian put into it and it is great to see it paying off!!!
I look forward to seeing her run soon!!

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:59 pm

but lack of a Wrangler, or friends with horses there
Hey...next time let me know. We obviously trial in the same region and if ever our paths were to cross you would be welcome to borrow a horse! We attend mostly Britt trials of course but every once in a while I/we break out and attend an off breed trial if they have open stakes for our dogs.

Yes..I have been the sole handler on Kiki since she was born and will continue to be her trainer/handler throughout. Brian (hubbie) will be coaching me along as we advance to each level of training. Since I decided to keep her she will be the first dog that I break myself when the time comes. I'm really looking forward to this project.

Thanks Mav...next weekend, maybe??? Thanks Bruce and CR for your words of encouragement. Kiki is a pretty special girl...lots of heart and drive!!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Good job! I watched that nice little brit run with Captain at the Peen Woods walking trial. Nice little dog! Congrats on the placements and keep up the nice work! :D
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520