new horse, boise gets a shock of his life!.

larue

new horse, boise gets a shock of his life!.

Post by larue » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 am

I just purchased a new racking horse,and he gave my run off
all age dog the surprise of his life,as I was able to ride him down as he tryed to blow me off,and run off for a self hunt.
Nothing like a mile gallop chasing a pig headed dog who
did not want to listen.
My brag is about the horse,not the stubborn $%^& dog.
But the look on boises face when he realized the horse was faster than he was,was priceless.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:04 am

I would pick up a harness and throw some chains on the dog to slow him down. This way he is always in your grasp. COngrats on the horse. What kind did you get?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:22 am

Looks like it's a Racking Horse.

Best,

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:30 am

I am not a big horse person yet, but that could be darn useful! :D
I have a lab with "selective hearing" that could use a trick like that. She's faster than my fastest gsp for a 5 - 10 minute dash and likes to take off out of the county to where she thinks I can't possibly expect that she should hear me yelling and blowing the whistle. When she can see me, she obeys like a dream....

Well, never fear, I am caring for two horses right now and they are trying very hard to win me over. The sweetest girls they are -- unless I have a bridle (sp) in my hand. :roll:

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:27 pm

Ryan,
I'm guessing you either missed that it was a racking horse or, like me, had never heard of one (I thought it was some generic term until Greg posted). Here's a link:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/racking/

Larue,
Congrats on the horse. I too could use one.

-Bill

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:24 pm

guess its because I am not big on hay burners but isnt a horse just a horse I cant seem to tell the difference between any of the riding breeds. the only ones that I can tell the difference in is the wagon pullers (ie: clydesdale). :roll:

larue

Post by larue » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:06 am

Casper,all horses might look alike but they ride differently.
A gaited horse is a very smooth ride,very little up and down movement. Field trial rules also state a horse must be kept at a walk,so a walking horse is much faster at a walk,then a quarter horse.while a racking horse is even faster.
my last walker would have to trot to even come close to my racking horses walk.he also has at least three walking speeds,which can be very helpfull while scouting.