Good weekend hunt testing

snips
GDF Junkie

Good weekend hunt testing

Post by snips » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Rick finished the SH titles on 3 dogs and I finished 2 this weekend. Dogs are Gambles Skyview Rita, Gambles Dalin Pepper (owned by Rick) and Gambles Jumpin Jackie,(owned by Tim Gunter), I finished FC Wilsons Famous Amos, and Belle, a Wirehair owned by Julie and Loy Gentry. Good weekend with very nice people that put on a great test, Vizsla Club of SC.
brenda

briguyz71

Re: Good weekend hunt testing

Post by briguyz71 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Congrat Brenda and Rick! I have been meaning to email you about Bailey taking a 1st at an ufta trial in Alabama before Christmas.
Brian
Last edited by briguyz71 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Wow I 'd say Brenda that was a good weekend it seems you and Rick have been working pretty hard to get all those dogs finished up at one time! Congrads
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 pm

No, SH.
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:05 pm

CONGRATS B!

From the phone call I got earlier this eve, it sounds like it was a great weekend to be in SC!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Did the pup finish? We left before Jrs...She looked good on Sat!
brenda

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:26 pm

I'll let them brag it up, but she finished and then went on to win a 1st in an AF(?) Puppy Stake and her brother took a 3rd in the same stake I believe, at a nearby Trial!
Kickin Butt & taking names! :D
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 pm

ALRIGHT!!! We want pics!
brenda

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:58 am

We have tons of pictures. When Jordan gets them uploaded in the next few days we will post some. Yes it was a very good weekend.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:04 am

Great finally meeting you guys! It was a good bunch to visit with up there. Also Congrats to Tony Webb (VolFan) on his Sr leg on "Dougy". And nobody really meant all that razzin on your dogs name! :wink: :lol:
brenda

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:14 am

Hey Brenda, I missed you guys! I was at the trial with Heather and Emily and stopped by on Sun. at the HT grounds but you had already left. If I had known that you were going to be there I would have left earlier on Sat to get up there.

AHGSP, May and Finn looked great!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Wish I had known about the trial, I might have run over and run a gundog! Oh well.....Did not know you guys were so close...
brenda

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 am

Congrats! A lot of work went into that. I see that some of the dogs you are hunt testing you are also trialing. I assume that works out well for you otherwise you wouldn't do it that way. I have seen other posters say they prefer not to hunt test and trial a dog at the same time. Are there any issues that you have to work through doing both simultaneously or is it simply not an issue?

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 am

Great question Ken! I have asked around about this also, and since I will be running Bandit in hunt tests this spring, I would like to know how that is working. I don't want to start something that could be detrimental to all the work in field trial training.
Bill L.

HMiller

Post by HMiller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:33 am

I've posted pictures under the post "Mae gets her JH and wins AF Puppy Stakes."

As for the question about testing and trialing at the same time... I'm no expert, but we didn't seem to have an issue, but our pup is only 10 mos. old (and I'm not completely knowledgeable about either, outside of the rules :wink: ), so we still have a lot of work left to do in terms of her being steady, etc... In the AF Trial she had a larger area to cover and she runs pretty big (IMO), so she moved through the course like she should have... the hunt test, however, was a little nerve wracking (for me) because the field wasn't as big as Miss Mae would have liked - she ventured into the field used for SH and MH, as well as into the woods a few times looking for more birds once she'd covered the field...
Miller's Mischievous Maebyn VDHimmel JH

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 am

I try to get the hunt test title on them first after they are broke, it seems to set them into what they have learned before going on to trying to compete. Then when you are confident in your dog you can let them roll at a FT and have more confidence in standing their birds. Rick finished Fritz and I finished Amos's FC before doing a hunt test and it was a bit of a challenge keeping them in on a tight course here in the east for hunt testing. Rick ran Fritz at a test in Tx on his way home from hunting last yr and said they had bigger open courses and it was not a problem.
brenda

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 am

I'm sure others will have comments on this topic as well as I am not an expert either. The main factor in not trialing and testing at the same time would be the level of training your dogs are at and where the training of the others dogs are at. Obviously if you have a dog that is close to broke and starting to back you wouldn't want to run them in Derby and have the other dog trying to take a bird out while your dog is on point. The reason being is without being able to use a collar, check cord etc you do not have control of the situation. You can train these types of situations when you can control them, but it all depends where you are in training. The age groupings really don't mean a lot as you can see a 6-10mo old pup on this board could be at a completely different point in training than another dog that is 2yrs old. The maturity level of those dogs could be completely different for a male or female, pups from the same litter all dogs are different. There were 3 and 4 yr old dogs in JH, and my pup could have run it at 6mos.

The other factor is as you are breaking a dog for SH or MH their range will often times shorten up which will hurt them in a trial setting. As they gain their confidence back they will start to range out again. You also have to remember that many dogs will see you go out there and realize they are at the hunt test, and then in another venue they see all the space and know it is time to get out there and cover the ground.

In our situation we were running a puppy stake that did not require bird work and then the JH test. Personally I enjoyed the puppy stake more as I like the forward moving course and the small field used in the JH test was about 2-4 mins worth of field work for her and I had to try to keep her in it for 15 mins.

I am sure you will get some more opinions on this from someone like Brenda with a great deal more experience than I will probably ever have, but hopefully my attempted explanation helps some.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Brenda you guys never stop amazing me, good work.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:22 am

5 dogs in a weekend..Congrats Brenda And Rick

Now Thats Getting it done