New Toy

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

New Toy

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Here is a picture of my new toy. It's my starter trailer for field trialing. Next year I'll upgrade to something better, but this'll get me started:

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:14 pm

Heck that is a pretty nice starter! I wish I would have went with a combo. I got a 2 horse slant with a huge tack room. I like it but the family wants more horses. My dream is a 5 horse slant with rear tack and front living quarters and a new cummins to pull it!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:08 am

Does it have a tack compartment? The door would usually be on the side the picture is taken on. Maybe it is one the other side.

Nice trailer!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:40 am

The door/escape hatch is on that side. I'm going to have to do some configuring inside as it's totally open except for the front gate at this time.

If I'm right, there is room up front for a 4-wheeler and tack. But it'll take some clever use of space.

Best,

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:06 am

Well, it sounds like it is going to work for you, and a heck of alot cheaper than the 4-horse slant, living quarters, gooseneck with the Cummins pull truck. Good way to figure out how much you and yours want to commit to this endeavor.

Thinking long term, you will find the AKC weekend trials fun for awhile, especially if you have a dog that can win a few and you are marching it up the points ladder. But at some point, maybe a couple of years down the road, you have got to arrange to go to a wild bird trial somewhere, either shorthairs or pointer/setter. There really are only two, or possibly three wild bird shorthair trials. There are a ton of pointer/setter wild bird trials. The American Field trials, whether shorthair or pointer/setter, are much more free flowing, less rules oriented. Not saying one is better than the other, just two different formats.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:39 am

Nice trailer Greg! Now you need a nice tow vehicle to match!

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 am

Nice Trailer :D

My whole problem with horse back trials is this.

1) Space to own horses, I don't know about your area of the country but I have about 4.5 acres and it cost me plenty. Unless i want to live 45 minutes from work more land is going to be tuff to come by.
2) I travel quite a bit and having someone to take care of said horses makes just picking up and going a little tuff.
3) I love the idea of horses and trailer and Trialing, but all i see is $$$$ :roll:
4) This relates to #1 you have to have room to train from horse back. which leads back to $$$

Until I can justify it I will keep walking the trials I enter, if someone doesn't like it they can pound sand :P

Besides thus far i have been pretty lucky finding walking trials, it is just getting beyond the local stuff is tuff with out a horse.

Oh and for you old timers, I know a dogs can handle better from horse back, but if I can compete from foot who's to complain? I know the whole you walk to slow, or you won't keep up conversation happens. Just ask anyone at Larue's trial how many braces i walked :lol:

Sorry for the rant Greg, congrats on the trailer, you will have to let us know how your first horse back trial goes. The whole horseback vs walking thing always gets me worked up.

P.S. What do you have for horses?

Regards,

Rob

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:21 pm

I'll vouch for the walking that Rob did at Larue's trial. I know on Saturday he walked everyone of them!!!!!

What a great additude Rob had at that trial, and what conditioning!!