We got our AKC Jr. Hunt Title!

diane303

We got our AKC Jr. Hunt Title!

Post by diane303 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 am

I had posted earlier this summer about Trudy being off birds. We took her out a few more times on quail and pheasant and what we discovered is that if she thinks she is wearing an e-collar, she is too nervous to hunt - it was pretty much that simple.

I was going to wait till Spring to finish her remaining legs towards her Jr. title but was highly encouraged by friends to give her a go in September (they were all testing dogs and wanted me to join in). I put just a blaze orange nylon color on her instead of her neoprene waterproof collar that I usually use when she is in the field and she was a different dog. She found 4 birds and we finished with flying colors.

This past weekend we were up in Kettle Moraine for the last leg and she was just glorious. We had a great time and she earned her title.

I'm not sure if I should get serious with her for seniors, though. She has a decent retrieve but training her to hold her point through the flush and gun shot would be hard. She honors pretty well naturally. I've been letter her chaise the birds to encourage her. Maybe we will try some FDSB walking trials just for fun.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: We got our AKC Jr. Hunt Title!

Post by Karen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 am

Congratulations!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Reech

Post by Reech » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Congradulations!

Becareful before you know it you will be training for MH. All I ever wanted for mine was a JH title.

Reeech

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Congratulations! SH, MH here you come!

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 am

Great Story! I'll bet your glad your friends talked you into giving it a shot this fall. Congrats to both you & Trudy, Let us know how the MH goes :D :D
Bill L.

diane303

Post by diane303 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll keep on training, that is for sure. I just have to keep making it fun for her. She is extremely soft and it's easy to end up discouraging her.

We're also working toward her CDX and we do aglility mostly because she loves it, too, but I'm hooked on field work.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Congrats!!! That first title is so exciting to get. Careful it can be an addiction :lol: