Survived First FT & got a placement :)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Survived First FT & got a placement :)

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 pm

This is just about the tiniest brag, especially compared to all those other Walnut Hill dogs getting it done! :mrgreen: There are a couple FTs near us each Spring and Fall, so I decided to enter 10.5 month old Brandi in the Puppy Stakes, despite the fact that we’ve never seen a field trial before. After I entered her, the worry wart in me couldn’t decide whether we would show up or not. I had nightmares of her chasing her brace mate all over the field, getting into a fight, or catching birds...and some of the recent training threads I’d read didn’t help console me. :? This past Saturday, I ran her with her first new dog (not Roxi or her regular dog friends). I figured if she was a chasing fool, that I’d cancel the next day. But she did terrific, so we trekked a couple hours yesterday to our very first field trial—put on by the Iowa Brittany Club. We were welcomed to the event, and everyone was good about answering questions and making sure we were where we needed to be. Brandi and Clint were in the 2nd brace of 4 for the day. I didn’t get any pics, because I chose to not go out into the field and possibly confuse her as to who she was running for. She chased for a minute at the start, but then hit her stride and went about working the field. Clint said she left the horses alone and did a really nice job covering ground, until she got tired towards the end. He used his whistle a couple times in the 20 minutes, to give her direction, and she listened very well. After her run, we sat a couple hours, waiting for the results and pondering how she did. I was purely happy that Brandi had good field manners and made it around safe and sound. When it came time to read the results, I couldn’t wait to hear her name, and am probably the happiest person to ever receive 4th in an 8 pup entry. No matter how she’d done, she’d still have had a place on my bed, but the placement makes the first time experience a little sweeter. :wink:

I'm also adding a little video link of some bird launcher training with Brandi, that we did on Friday to give her a little reminder, since we hadn't worked many birds since hunting season. Despite our planning, training didn't go perfect :oops: , with the first launcher being popped a little late. Then she walked a few steps before the 2nd point on the video, because the launcher didn't launch due to low batteries, and we ended up reworking it and throwing the bird. Amateurs... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-3aH17tU4

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Survived First FT & got a placement :)

Post by snips » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Nice job!!! That is always good experience for the young ones.
brenda

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Big Congrats wems!! I can feel your pride & happiness from here & that's the feeling we all get from our dogs. :D
Now you be looking forward to the next time. :lol:

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Congrats to you all and Brandi, a job well done. Nothing like that first placement to get bitten by the trial bug....

Chip

1doogie

Post by 1doogie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:11 pm

:mrgreen: Big Congrats!!! :mrgreen:
I'm running Wyatt (litter mate of brandi) in his first FT on 3/27! I hope he does well!! Most of all I hope we both have fun!! :D AND I'm sure we will!! :D

k2k

Post by k2k » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be totally stoked!

You must be my long-lost twin sister! :lol: I'm going to watch my first field trial next Friday, and plan on entering the pup in one next month. Hopefully we'll do as well as Brandi did.

Woo hoo for you!

Karen

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 am

Congrats Denise and Brandi!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 am

Denise~Congrats to you, Clint, and Brandi on your placement!! It was good to meet you guys. I hope to see you at future trials.

Doug

jonstclair1311

Post by jonstclair1311 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 am

Denise,

I am so glad you and Clint decided to come out. It was a sloppy mess, but still lots of fun. I can't tell you how much your placement, and Doug's, made me feel. Having run my very first trial at the same grounds only 2 years ago, the excitement in your face when they called your name for your placement really made me feel great. Giving back, I guess. Many have helped me with my new addiction, so I just feel it is my duty to help along new addicts. Take care.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks everyone! Hopefully we’ll get the chance to do a couple more.

Doug, it was nice meeting you too. I see no brag about Roo and her placement. She was tearing it up out there! :mrgreen:

Karen, which pup are you taking? I see you have a young wirehair and a young EP...maybe both. :D Best wishes next month.

I’m sure Wyatt will do great and you’ll have fun regardless. Get some photos to share. I love to keep track of littermates.

Thanks so much for the invite Jon, answering questions, and making it easy for us first timers to look like we knew what we were doing. :D

Denise

k2k

Post by k2k » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Denise,

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm taking the EP. I hope we do as well as you did!

Karen

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am

That's awesome Denise, CONGRATS! Glad to hear your 1st experience was a great one, whether you had placed or not! The placement sure does make it sweeter though!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 am

wems2371 wrote:
Doug, it was nice meeting you too. I see no brag about Roo and her placement. She was tearing it up out there!
Hey Denise~I haven't gotten around to getting a pic of Roo yet with her ribbon. You're right, she was tearin' it up!! I think that she was actually a little too big for that place. 8)

Are you guys going to the walking trial at Palo next weekend?

Doug

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks Bruce.

Doug, I sent our entry in yesterday. :wink:

Denise

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Congratulations & beautiful pup!
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

jonstclair1311

Post by jonstclair1311 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Denise,

You're very welcome. I was welcomed whever I went my first year of trialing, so I feel obligated to give back now. I found out last weekend, even though my puppy was not able to run at the Iowa Walking Trial, he got his first ribbon in the puppy stakes at Ardmore, Oklahoma. He took 4th amongst some pretty good competition. I was so proud to drive back from Kansas with that ribbon. Hopefully, Brandi will have many more ribbons to come.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:20 am

Congratulations Denise: Sure is a nice looking pup. Enjoy the ride.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick