Not a bad weekend

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Not a bad weekend

Post by phermes1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm

This weekend was the last field trial of the season for those of us in Florida. We came into the weekend with TomBoy being 1 retrieving point short of her DC. While we ended the weekend still wanting that retrieving point, we still did well and had a great time.
I ran 4 dogs, Buffy and 3 of her offspring from her litter with Tommy Boy.
TomBoy got 2nd in Open Gun Dog and won Amateur Gun Dog, giving her her first amateur win.
General got a 3rd place in Amateur Gun Dog. This boy is going to be awfully nice to watch once he matures a little bit.
Patriot, the best-running of the bunch, but also the most exuberant/least dependable, finally broke into the placements and gave me hope for the future. He took 2nd place in Open Limited and 4th place in Amateur Limited. The 4th place was his first callback, and I must say he did a great job on his retrieve.

As for Buffy ... I'll just say that Buffy had fun and showed me what happens when I spend my time training her kids and not training her. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: Not a bad weekend

Post by AHGSP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Sounds like a great time was had, but hate to be reminded how quick the Trial season can go by! CONGRATS on all the placements and win!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Sounds like a heck of a weekend. I wanted to come down and bring Dougie, but this was my 25th anniversary. Didn't even ask.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Maybe next season. We had a great time, you missed out.

Of course, the weekend started out very interestingly. On Thursday, the grounds got nailed by a pretty nasty storm; hail, 60+ mph winds, and tornados reported nearby. Clubhouse got half the shingles torn off and was basically raining inside. Some trees were blown down, the grounds manager's truck was crushed, and parts of the course were under 18 inches of water. I had come out early along with a few other folks, so we spent most of the day cleaning up the clubhouse and digging culverts to get the flooded areas to drain into the lakes. All in all, things came together, the clubhouse was usable, and the courses were overall pretty good, if still a bit soggy in some spots.

And the wife is already suggesting I find an out of state trial to go to and try to get that last retrieving point for TomBoy. Considering the next closest trial is over 800 miles away for us, I don't see that happening. :)

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 pm

The closes thing i can find is Ohio. I will make it down next year. Will and Alan both live 30 minutes from me, said the grounds are very nice and the trip is not a bad one.Congrats on a good weekend .

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 am

Paul, the year they had el nino in fl we ran the QI trial at Lake Wales, we were running in places with water to our rear... Never seen so much water there...
brenda

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 am

snips wrote:Paul, the year they had the QI trial at Lake Wales we were running in places with water to our rear... Never seen so much water there...
The QI trial is there every year, but you must be talking about 6 years ago when 3 hurricanes crossed Florida and all 3 went directly over Lake Wales. The big lake in the back field ran over its banks and covered the entire field. The whole place was pretty messed up, they were hauling downed trees off for WEEKS afterwards.
Funny thing about it is that none of those hurricanes damaged the clubhouse even a little bit, but we had a 30 minute burst last Thursday that is now causing us to replace the roof, ceiling, 1 outer wall, furniture, and refinish the floors. Thank God for insurance! :)

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 am

Congrats to you & the red doggies, Paul. :)

What a great way to end the Spring season!
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!