Girty

Ridgeland

Girty

Post by Ridgeland » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:42 pm

I don't have a birddog to brag on yet so I will brag on Girty, my Mtn. Cur. He is the treeingist (sure that's a word) dog I've ever had. Here's a picture of Girty and his latest quarry. He is a versital dog has treed several different things for me. Let's see sq, big yellow tom cat, coon, sandhill crane, bobcat, opossum. That's all I can think of for now. Hope you like him.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Truthseeker

Re: Girty

Post by Truthseeker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:22 pm

i like him.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 am

Good lookin' dog! I've always wanted a blue tick. When I was real young my uncle always had coonhounds(blue ticks & walkers). By the time I was old enough to go with him he no longer had dogs and had given up coon hunting so I missed out.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 am

Pretty cute...Now you just need a versatile Shorthair that does it all!
brenda

Ridgeland

Post by Ridgeland » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 am

Thanks guys. I was bored when I posted this.

I know you all proabably aren't real interested in the pedigree of a cur dog, but I have studied alot of pedigrees of different breeds of dogs, horses, etc. and you don't run across many lines that are bred like this. Girty goes back to 1 female exclusively, Tenn Mtn Blondie. She was bred to 3 different dogs and the off spring where used to develop this line. She appears 25 times in his pedigree within the first 7 generations. I have read about motherline breeding but never seen it applied to a higher degree. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but to me it is interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 02, 2011 7:28 am

When I was into working terriers pretty heavy (many guys have terriers and curs/fiests) I always heard great things about the "natural hunt and ability" about the Kemmer dogs, is this what you have seen?

Good looking dog.

Ridgeland

Post by Ridgeland » Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 am

It took me about 5 or 6 dogs to get to Girty. I bought a few that were supposed to be started that I think were basically culls. In my experience the Kemmers are not real early starting. I think the biggest thing is you have to let them run loose and start treeing on their own and then put them up and take them hunting. I walked my legs off with him his first sq season and he never treed a sq. I didn't want him to get run over, but I didn't figure he was going to make a dog in the kennel either so I turned him loose. Before you know it I was hearing him treeing. I've never comp hunted him, but he will go find something when you turn him loose. He is a really good farm dog and awesome with my kids, they love Girty.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon May 02, 2011 8:18 am

Very nice dog!!.. he sure is muscular, thanks for sharing :D ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 am

Ridgeland wrote:It took me about 5 or 6 dogs to get to Girty. I bought a few that were supposed to be started that I think were basically culls. In my experience the Kemmers are not real early starting. I think the biggest thing is you have to let them run loose and start treeing on their own and then put them up and take them hunting. I walked my legs off with him his first sq season and he never treed a sq. I didn't want him to get run over, but I didn't figure he was going to make a dog in the kennel either so I turned him loose. Before you know it I was hearing him treeing. I've never comp hunted him, but he will go find something when you turn him loose. He is a really good farm dog and awesome with my kids, they love Girty.

Maybe the cut them loose and let them learn idea I mistook for being early starters. Glad you got one you like. Do you night hunt him as well?

Ridgeland

Post by Ridgeland » Mon May 02, 2011 9:26 am

Maybe if you turn them loose earlier they start earlier??? My experience is very limited. I have shot out coons to him, but don't actively coon hunt him. Most often I will have gone out to look at the stars and hear him and then go see what hes got. He treed a bobcat across the road from my house and the neighbor found him and got a pic with his phone before it bailed. He called me but I got there to late. It's the lump on the limb to the left of the tree, can't really tell what it is if you didn't know.