Son's first field trial

r nickell

Son's first field trial

Post by r nickell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:22 pm

My son decided he wanted to try running one of the rescue mutt's in a field trial in the area Sunday. I told him his best chance was to run the Shorthair Murphy since he listened to him better then the Griff. So we loaded up Murphy and took off to a NBHA event hosted by a local club to see how the two rookie's would do. Now I should have know right off taking a dog named for Murphy's Law would make for an interesting day but instead I grab a lawn chair and thermos of coffee and headed off to see what fate awaited the two. Murphy took off from the line at full speed hunting a nice pattern down both sides of the path going the wrong direction Vinnie recalled him and got him headed the right way and seemed unphased as he followed along. At the first turn Murphy had a brief point but the other dog running close by busted the bird before I think she was aware of Murphy's point. Now Murphy use to my shooting knows sometimes it takes a couple of chances on the same bird runs to repoint the bird jumping a fence in the process. Vinnie recalls Murphy off the bird and as he returns he see's the fence and sets down not willing to jump it without a bird involved. I was watching from the cart that was following the judges and handlers and a few walkers as I see Vinnie and a couple other people go over and lift the dog back over the fence so they can continue. Murphy once again start working only to not hit the breaks fast enough and fall over the side of about a 90 degree creekbank again having to have my son and another person rescue him (by this time my son I could tell was figuring his chance of glory was quickly fadding). As we hit the half way point I figured the disaster I mean run was at least half over and since the field was lucky pretty flat and no more fences thing might go smoother from here out. As they took off from the water bucket Murphy seemed finially to get the hang of it suddenly stopping and doing a great back on his bracemates point on up the path standing unflinching till the blank gun sounded and the group started to move off. Muphy locked up about 90 yards further down the path again standing tight till my son moved in front of him flushing the birds. Now I was starting to think either they had put something in the water or else someone switch dogs while he was taking a drink back at the bucket cause for the second half of course both my son and the dog worked like old pro's putting in a near flawless preformance. So I get to post the follwing picture with true dad pride of them holding the 3rd place plaque.
W.W.T.G.D.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Son's first field trial

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 pm

That is the best story of the year.Young man and recycled dog find success by simply doing their best. We need more like that. Congats to both of them and to you for supporting them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Congrats! Hope Vinnie is hooked! Saw an email from Doug Meyer and he was tickled at the results! Especially from the youngsters!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Plus 100 on what easy said :D that's the kind of results we need to keep away from some of the negative feelings about Field Trials that some people have.

Congrats to the young man & his dog!!!!!!!!! :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Now that's a great story. Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:57 pm

Congrats to everyone great story.You should be very proud of both of them :D

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Awesome.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Nice job by all involved, good for you to give your son and the dog an opportunity.

Nice looking dog BTW.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 am

It was your bracemates first trial as well and I thought that both dogs did a fine job. Both handlers did a fine job as well, and they both learned a lot. Kudos to Doug for getting so many new folks involved though.

r nickell

Post by r nickell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:26 am

It was a fun experience for Vinnie and in fact last night he called and ask me if there were anymore in the area that he could enter coming up. I was gratefull for all the folks out there that were so helpfull and made it a very positive experience for both myself and more importantly my son. I look forward to seeing many of you again and meeting the folks I haven't yet, cause it looks like I get to be running my son and our recycled dog around to somemore of these in the future and I am really looking forward to it.
W.W.T.G.D.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Next week will be in Rock Springs, grounds are really different. Hope to see you there!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing :D
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 am

Great story and good looking dog. Good to see young people doing it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!