First Trial In Awhile

Stoneface

First Trial In Awhile

Post by Stoneface » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:42 pm

I ran some NSTRA several years ago, but decided this time around I was going to try AF. My first trial in awhile and my two dogs' first trial, period.

We ran today. Moxy was up first in Derby. Piedmont is TREACHEROUS on a fat man. I was coming up on the end of the heat, trying to maneuver rocks on the hillside, when I slipped on one and went down on my knees, my left knee getting pretty jacked up. I decided it wasn't a good idea to go right into another heat, but a nice young guy named Jimmy offered to handle Jack. They got started out to about a hundred foot when Jack came a-runnin', looking to his papa. Got him back out for a minute, but he didn't want to cooperate. I had to forego Jack's Derby heat.

I took the dogs out after the event ended yesterday and the dogs pretty much amputated their range, so I was a little worried about today. Moxy ranged well for being new to that thick sage and had one find she stuck and held well. I thought she may have possibly crowded into a third, but no dice. I was told, though, that it was between another dog and Moxy for third, but the other dog won out.

I got a bit of a break before Moxy's next brace was up in the Gun Dog class and I was told that the first course (I had earlier ran on the second course) wasn't so bad. I was feeling a little better so I decided to run her. We were braced with an older man and his Setter. Moxy and I took to the lead by a little bit and Moxy establishe twice and handled her birds well. As we came to the bottom of the draw the cover was a little thinner and Moxy started to show a bit of range. When we hooked around the ridge, though, we hit that doggoned sage and Moxy tightened way up after a third find. By this time we were headed uphill and I was feelin' the burn!

I felt as guilty as sin, but after a second half-mile uphill my leg said I wasn't running another heat. Another guy, Chuck, knew about his first brace, but offered to run him anyhow. I have never met such a friendly and helpful group of people in my life. Chuck came right up, gave Jack a big hug and Jack seemed to bond with him a little. I was feeling optimistic. They got started and got farther than Jimmy did, but soon enough Jack came running back. They got him back on course and he started to run better, but came back a third time. Ugh. I was feeling pretty sheepish, but no one even considered letting me feel embarrassed or remorseful. Jack was done for the day, but I'll run him again on some flatter country.

Everything was over for us, but I decided to stick around for the placements any how. There were some sharp looking dogs - including last year's Kansas Gun Dog of The Year - that ran against Moxy in the Gun Dog class, so I didn't think nine-month-old Moxy faired much of a chance (though, I didn't see any other dogs work). I was wrong. Moxy took FIRST.

I was one proud papa today. Drove all the way home with that award sitting inside the stearing wheel. I think it will be November before I can get Jack his fair chance, but it's coming.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: First Trial In Awhile

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 am

Good Job and glad to hear you had fun. Wish I could have been there myself although I had family commitments that kept me from attending. A lot of those same folks will be up here at the Brown County FTC trial this coming weekend and we would love to have you up here! Give me a call if your interested and your healed up by then :lol: , drawing is Thursday night.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Stoneface

Re: First Trial In Awhile

Post by Stoneface » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks, guys. It was a blast! I've been telling myself, "You can't go to that Fairview trial because it's too far, gonna cost too much, ec," I know good and well that I'm gonna be there.

Doug, it's nice to hear from you. How's Rocky doing? He and I got to be good buddies when I was cleaning out his kennel.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle