Grouse season

grouseguy

Grouse season

Post by grouseguy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Every year I spend 20 or so days chasing Ruffs with my setters.....here's a few recent pics. Bird numbers have been outstanding up here in MN the last 3 years. The last pic is bobwhite in Missouri.

Crystal kennels

Re: Grouse season

Post by Crystal kennels » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 am

Very nice!!!
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:14 am

Crystal kennels wrote:Very nice!!!

Thanks, the last 3 seasons have been outstanding for grouse up here in MN. We have been averaging 20-25 flushes per day.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm

gpblitz wrote:Don't speak to loudly!!!!
Too late already spoken.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:27 pm

northern cajun wrote:
gpblitz wrote:Don't speak to loudly!!!!
Too late already spoken.

It's not exactly a secret that Northern MN is the best grouse hunting in the country. I think we have the highest harvest about every year. Our covers are so expansive and plentiful that there's not much chance of it getting "hunted out".

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:35 pm

gpblitz wrote:
grouseguy wrote:It's not exactly a secret that Northern MN is the best grouse hunting in the country. .
Your right!!! lived in northern MN all my life
grouseguy wrote:Our covers are so expansive and plentiful that there's not much chance of it getting "hunted out".
Don't ever beleive that. The Orr area has been hit so hard the last couple of years that it's not worth the trip up there. Folks seem to forget that there are other hunters out there, winter kill, and preditation that take a toll on bird pop.. There's alot of folks with the adittude I gotta kill all I can, if I don't the next guy will. Take a few and move on.

Post deleted. Don't want a bunch of guys with dogs chasing our birds next year :oops:

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 pm

gpblitz wrote:
grouseguy wrote:Post deleted. Don't want a bunch of guys with dogs chasing our birds next year
:lol: :lol: read your post. Just sat down to PM you on that matter!!!! Your right get off the beaten path. What happening is we are harvesting timber quicker than it grows. Maybe 15 to 20 years from now or sooner we will lack proper age classes to maintain a good pop. of grouse. The timber industury is concerned. back in the 80's we would average 45, 50 flushes a day. 20, 25 was so so. It was rare to see a out of state hunter in the early 80's and earlier. Then the RGS got a foot hold up here with the NAT'l Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock Hunt and changed things forever.

and I always thought my father was embellishing with his stories of 50 flush days....

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:06 pm

gpblitz wrote:
grouseguy wrote:and I always thought my father was embellishing with his stories of 50 flush days....
My best day ever was in the early 80's. 104 birds moved in a 6 hour hunt. 70 some grouse the rest woodcock. I'll never forget that day. Unreal!!! I was guiding for acouple of folks from pittsbough. Every time we turned around the dogs were locked up. I shot 3 grouse, 3 woodcock. my hunters shot 4 grouse, 4 woodcock each. I loved guiding for these guys. they didn't beleive in shooting a limit. We just kicked back and enjoyed watching my dogs slam point after point. Truly IMO a hunt of a life time.

Howie you think that could be a hunt of a lifetime?? Dang. Good for you!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:39 pm

northern cajun wrote:
gpblitz wrote:
grouseguy wrote:and I always thought my father was embellishing with his stories of 50 flush days....
My best day ever was in the early 80's. 104 birds moved in a 6 hour hunt. 70 some grouse the rest woodcock. I'll never forget that day. Unreal!!! I was guiding for acouple of folks from pittsbough. Every time we turned around the dogs were locked up. I shot 3 grouse, 3 woodcock. my hunters shot 4 grouse, 4 woodcock each. I loved guiding for these guys. they didn't beleive in shooting a limit. We just kicked back and enjoyed watching my dogs slam point after point. Truly IMO a hunt of a life time.

Howie you think that could be a hunt of a lifetime?? Dang. Good for you!!

Would be the hunt of my lifetime.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 am

Great pics.... Nothing like getting Ruffies in the bag.. How old is your pup in the first and last pic..???
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:23 am

Suhweeeet! Nice take!

Howie,
I gotta give you a rash...... Remember not too long ago when you were kind of "defending" Frank Jezioro, after a couple of us took STRONG exception to him outing Canaan Valley NWR in a certain Gundog Magazine and forever changing the face of Grouse and Woodcock hunting in the Valley? Hmmmmmmmmm? :P

I think I might bring a string of about 10-15 Shorthairs up to Northern MN next year..... :lol:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

grouseguy

Post by grouseguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 pm

mobeasto123 wrote:Great pics.... Nothing like getting Ruffies in the bag.. How old is your pup in the first and last pic..???

That is my female setter"Izzy", she is now 8 years old.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Nice... Very nice! Looks like I need to find some activities to convince my wife she wants to go to Minnesota! :D :D :D Love the pics! To think my son and I were excited about 6 flushes today while deer hunting! :oops: Marked the spot to bring the dog back when the late season opens... Gonna start slippin the little Mrs some tapioca puddin' so she builds up a craving for it and then next fall shut her off cold turkey... "Hey Honey..;. I know where we can get some!" Thanks for sharing those pics! :D
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 pm

grouseguy wrote:Every year I spend 20 or so days chasing Ruffs with my setters.....here's a few recent pics. Bird numbers have been outstanding up here in MN the last 3 years. The last pic is bobwhite in Missouri.

i seen those days too now PA is not good for grouse.too much killing and too many hunters with dogs.
not being smart but watch how many you kill and EXPECT the worst to happen following year like bad spring etc.

i shoot over heads of most of my grouse now and throw a dead grouse wing set up in brush and toby thinks i shot it.
if not,I WOULD CLEAN THE AREA OF GROUSE.
our flushes are down in good areas to about 6 per day.
that may be 10 hunters with dogs each week.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:Nice... Very nice! Looks like I need to find some activities to convince my wife she wants to go to Minnesota! :D :D :D Love the pics! To think my son and I were excited about 6 flushes today while deer hunting! :oops: Marked the spot to bring the dog back when the late season opens... Gonna start slippin the little Mrs some tapioca puddin' so she builds up a craving for it and then next fall shut her off cold turkey... "Hey Honey..;. I know where we can get some!" Thanks for sharing those pics! :D

yes, our grouse hunting is not good.too much killing and wet springs and lack of habitat.

there is great grouse hunting closer than wisconsin.try MAINE.i am going up again this year.
buy a gps,its big help.
i like ones for dog collar that you can find your dog and still get back to truck.they are expensive. i use GARMIN for 100 dollars.

i just go and take motel for 5 days, i get good rate if you book in winter months .
great grouse hunting there and close to pa.