Snips Sixth-Sens Wyatt MH 2011 Field trial summary

1doogie

Snips Sixth-Sens Wyatt MH 2011 Field trial summary

Post by 1doogie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:05 pm

2011 was a very interesting year for Wyatt and myself. We both were educated in the "broke dog" field trial world. I myself, not even knowing what a field trial was 2 years ago, am following the lead of Trainer/Handler Bruce Shaffer, and am now starting to handle a very talented young dog in trials. Wyatt ran in 12 events this year mostly handled by Bruce, with placements in 8 of them.

Wyatt started his broke dog career in SC at the Southeastern Brittany club. Wyatt took 4th place out of 20 entries in Amateur Gun Dog at this Event. Making this placement special, was the fact it was in his 1st broke stake and at 21 months old, he was handled by friend Jordan LaSeta, whom had never handled before and whom Wyatt had never met before that weekend.

Wyatt then took 1st in a 3 point major Open Gun Dog stake 2 weeks later against stiff competition, at the Mason Dixon GSP Club Trial in Seneca, MD. On 3-27-2011 , at just one month shy of his 2nd birthday, he ran broke and glued to the ground on a covey find and a single, then proceeded to seal the deal with a 50/60+ yard honor some 200 yards to the front and without the control or help of his handler. He ran with the 2nd place finisher and to say they worked GREAT together and had one heck of a "sit up in the saddle" brace, would be an understatement! Coming off the course, the gallery was all smiles and lots of Congratulations to both dogs on one heck of a great run! Flawless in the callback and the Win was his!

Finishing up a very limited Spring season of introducing him to the World of Trials at the Hudson Valley GSP trial in CT, Wyatt Placed 2nd in Open Gundog in a 22 dog entry, in his 1st ever Horse Back Field Trial with 6 perfectly handled finds, including 1 where his brace mate ripped the bird out from under him and he remained standing broke at just 25 months of age. The bird planter was heard to say; "The "bleep" found every single bird!

Wyatt took a few Summer months off and spent some time as a couch potato at home with me before continuing into the Fall Trial season with a 3rd Place finish in Open Gun Dog at the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of Ohio Trial on 8/27/ 2011 . A little rusty and still a bit heavy from being spoiled at home over the Summer, he was still off to a good start.

In Sept, Wyatt then made the trip to hunt the wild birds of the prairie in SD for a week with Bruce, before meeting me at the 2011 GSPCA National Amateur Gun Dog Championship, in Grand River, IA. This is where I myself made my handling debut. I had never handled a dog in a broke dog stake and found myself starting at a National event! Way to jump in head first!!! I made my share of mistakes and picked up Wyatt a bit prematurely, but went home with great knowledge, lessons learned and a memory of a lifetime.

Wyatt then Placed 2nd in Open Limited Gun dog at the Eastern Tennessee Pointing Dog Assoc. Trial on October 7th, 2011 with 4 beautifully broke finds, a respectable forward race and handling a slightly botched call back where the 1st bird could not be shot and he had to have a 2nd bird put down for his "to hand" retrieve.

Wyatt competed at the first ever, AKC Cover Dog Grouse Trial in Marienville, PA, hosted by the Oak Ridge Pointing Dog Club on 10/28/ 2011 . Unfortunately due to terrible conditions and a freak Oct. snow storm Wyatt, as with every other dog the first day, went without a bird find. He ran with great purpose, handling well to the front in some fantastic Grouse cover; but alas the birds were not going to cooperate this day! That's why they call them "Wild" birds!

Wyatt placed 3rd in Amateur Gun Dog in a 19 dog Stake, with the Mayflower GSP Club at the Flaherty Field Trial Grounds handled by myself in only my 2nd time handling him broke on 11/05/ 2011 . His first find was on a covey at the Pines and his brace mate came in, looped around him several times and then stole Point. The Handler was asked to hold his dog, while I worked the birds and upon the initial flush; not 1, but 4 birds came out going every direction and there stood Wyatt high and tight, unfazed by all that had happened. After negotiating the hazards of several birds running around and flying across the course right in front of him, he went on to have a great forward run and 1 more find, but finished slightly tired after having already run once earlier in the day in OLGD!

Wyatt placed 3rd in Open Gun Dog, in a 27 dog Entry at the Nutmeg GSPC Trial in East Windsor, CT at the Flaherty Field Trial Grounds on 11/11/ 2011 . There were some great dogs on the ground this day, with the Winner putting down such a commanding run as to leave the rest of the dogs running for 2nd. Wyatt had 3 beautifully broke finds this day and good forward run, with 1 non productive. When placed in the company of the dogs that went up this day, you know you have a special dog!

On 11/19/ 2011 , Wyatt finished strong in his last trial of 2011 , taking 1st in Open Gun Dog at the Southern MD English Setter Club Trial in Upper Marlboro , MD on the Rosaryville Trial Grounds for a 2 Point Win. His 1st find, the bird flew right over his head within inches and without so much as a flinch. The Judge said it was Bruce's lucky day! His 2nd find, he was standing 20 yards off the edge making it difficult for Bruce to locate the bird, but he trusting Wyatt to make the right move relocated him and Wyatt stuck the bird hard under a leafy tree branch taken down by the heavy snow of October. Upon the flushing attempt, Wyatt once again had the bird fly right over him, standing high and tight. His final find, he was running the edge, snapped around and started to work the Greenbriar hard and Bruce stopped his horse; telling Wyatt "figure it out bud, figure it out" and after 2 cast through the Greenbriar, he stuck his bird buried up in a thick tangle of the thorny cover. When all was said, Bruce may have regretted that find as he came out of the cover saying "ouch, whooo, ouch, ouch, whoooo, ouch! Image

In addition to Wyatt's trial career, he has been studded out twice this year, producing some top quality pups of which I believe there may be 1 or 2 still available. If you are interested please contact me and I will put you in contact with the litter owner.

Huge thanks goes out to Bruce Shaffer at Almost Heaven Kennels for all the hard work and dedication to my young dog Wyatt. Without Bruce none of this would have happened. As for 2012 ?!?!?!??! The Sky is the Limit. I look forward to another eventful year Trialing Wyatt along with Bruce and hopefully finishing him with a FC and a AFC.

And to think, when I was directed to Brenda Roe and Rick Hopkins by Bruce to acquire Wyatt, all I was looking for was a good hunting dog..... I think I got a GREAT one!

cmc274

Re: Snips Sixth-Sens Wyatt MH 2011 Field trial summary

Post by cmc274 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Congrats. Great looking dog and photos. Sounds like an excellent year for everyone involved. Hope to see him in North Carolina in January.

raven34

Post by raven34 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Jonathan Wyatt is surely a special dog! I enjoyed watching him run.... A heck of a bird dog!!!
:D :D

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:51 am

Congrats on your accomplishments...He is a prim specimen of a GSP..I to enjoy watching him work field..Looks like he can get it done on the wild birds to..I really love the lines he is out off. That dog will be titled out in no time .

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 am

Very, very, very nice guys! :mrgreen: What a cool post with pics and memories. I am always rooting for brother Wyatt.

Good luck in 2012!!! :wink:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Enjoyed this post VERY much, congrats on all the accomplishments you have achieved and will achieve WOO HOO!!!...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Wyatt getting extra pancakes this winter? ;)
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Looking good you guys! Very nice dog!
brenda

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Congrats. He is a good looking boy!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

He's a dang NICE boy Jon and I knew when I directed you to B, that you would get a super dog at the very least, but yep..... he's becoming a great one! It is an absolute pleasure to have trained and continue handling him. I'm tickled to see you bragging on the boy like this, he deserves the recognition of his potential to contribute to the breed. Gotta say, I'm EXTREMELY pleased with what I've already seen of the 2 litters he studded, dayummmm are they nice!

PS. It's not bragging when you can prove it :D
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am

Congrats on a great year! Nice pics, have some fine looking hunting dogs! :)
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:40 am

Congrats on a great year. Sounds like you have a consistent dog. Thanks for posting the pics also.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Dang nice post, but why no smile in the last couple pics? :) very nice dog you have there.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

1doogie

Post by 1doogie » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Thank you all for the very nice words! It truly was a great year with many more to come! Thanks again Bruce for all your help and coaching!
Wish you all a happy new year as well!!!