Just a quick brag!

OUBobcat06

Just a quick brag!

Post by OUBobcat06 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in a while, but wanted to share this real quick. My work has FINALLY settled down and I'm actually able to get out and work with my 8 month gsp/ep pup on birds a lot more. I introduced her to them back in the fall, and she's been absolutely crazy ever since. However, with my schedule I haven't been able to get her on them as much as I would have liked. Last week my launcher arrived and I spent the last several days introducing it to her and making sure she didn't become afraid of it... that took about two launches because this dog isn't afraid of anything apparently...lol

I'd mainly been launching pigeons for her in the yard, and today decided that I'd plant one out in the field and take her for a walk and just "happen" to find a bird on our way... I planted the bird, grabbed the check cord and headed off. She had seen me get the launcher and the bird out of the coop, so that "walk" was quickly turned into an all out attack on my arm and shoulder socket. Still being new to this myself, I made the fatal error of not having gloves on, and before I knew it the check-cord burnt through my hand and she was off to the races. The launcher was planted around several bends in the trail and I had nightmares of her pouncing on it and ruining all the introduction we'd worked on. While going after her I was trying to calculate just how much dog-therapy sessions cost for my puppy who was sure to be scarred for life.

All of a sudden I didn't hear the cord being drug through the grass anymore, and as soon as I turned the corner I found this:
photo (13).JPG
(Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, of course I forgot my good camera this time)

She was absolutely frozen solid on point about 10 feet from the launcher...I was thrilled! I walked up and grabbed the check cord to prevent any sudden pounces. I could tell from the way she was looking that she couldn't actually see the bird, but she could smell it was there somewhere. I estimated she'd been there about 35-40 seconds before I got to her, and I let her hold the point for another full minute before flushing. She didn't move a muscle the whole time.

I know this isn't really that great of a story, and it's something bird dogs have done millions of times... but it was AMAZING to see Daisy pull it off for the first time. She may just turn into a bird-dog yet...in spite of me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimbo&rooster

Re: Just a quick brag!

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Looking good man, looks like you are doing a good job with her......

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Looking good man, looks like you are doing a good job with her......

Jim
+1

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 am

If she's smart and you do this one or two more times, she will track your footprints straight to the bird. I love it when it starts to click for them.

raven34

Post by raven34 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am

Lookin good!! :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 am

Aint it fun when the light come on?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Thats awsome man, I am really happy for you. I remember when my gsp Timber pointed for the first time on a pigeon I was like a kid on Christmas morning! The best advice I can give now would be to hobble a pigeon (so that you only get a short flight out of it but still a good flush) and let it loose in your training area. As mentioned in another post, too many plants and all you have is a good personal tracking dog. The hobble makes it a real hunt for the bird.