A Brag for Kona.

jcbuttry8

A Brag for Kona.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Today we attended the Open Derby in Greenwood which was an AF event. It had me excited. It was our first AF event with the likes of Hunter wilcox and Norman Basilone and his son Matt. Lloyd Miller was also in attendance with a young setter that threw a little mix into the all pointer field. It was great to get to see my young dog mix it up with some great Derby dogs. If you ever get the chance to run dogs at Greenwood in south Jersey, don't hesitate. What a great place to run dogs.

Kona had a great run and handled well. She showed she was still somewhat in charge and disappeared a couple of times but found her way to the front every time. She had a great point right at the end of the brace and held solid. I was just a little impressed with her performance. :D We ended up coming home with third place. We celebrated over a couple of milk bones and a little milk in our dinner. Then snuggled up on the chair and went to dreamland. I had a great time and once again hung out with some great people and learned just a little more about this drug I just can't seem to shake.

Take care,

Joe

brad27

Re: Another Brag for Kona.

Post by brad27 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 pm

congrats Kona and Joe.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Re: A Brag for Kona.

Post by doco » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 am

Congrat's Joe,

I heard she did well at the Eastern as well. Next time we cross paths, I'll take the fork out of your back. You're getting a little too much past done! :lol: :lol:
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 am

Good job Joe. Now break that dog out and run her in some broke stakes!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:34 am

Great job Joe. And there is no need to hurry that breaking process as it is the trip that is exciting and no need to hurry it or cut it short.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 am

BTW I didn't say to rush the breaking process but if you run in Derby too much you will have a long hard road to travel when you do decide to. But then again not all people have broke dogs but have a lot of fun running in puppy, Derby, JH ... Everything in in moderation and better to be in the cautious side then pay the price later.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks guys. Yes the breaking process is coming now. She is now qualified and we will be spending our summer getting broke. We will be hitting all broke stakes this fall. I am just having a blast watching her come into her own. I am trying my best to take this slow. It is definitely tough when you see some of the broke dogs run. You want her there but have to pull the reigns. I am doing my best to get her there but I want to do it right. I just keep telling myself we have years to play all these games.

Doco, leave that fork at home! We are no where near done. We are just getting started. :mrgreen:

Joe

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:29 am

ultracarry wrote:BTW I didn't say to rush the breaking process but if you run in Derby too much you will have a long hard road to travel when you do decide to. But then again not all people have broke dogs but have a lot of fun running in puppy, Derby, JH ... Everything in in moderation and better to be in the cautious side then pay the price later.
Sorry if that sounded like a shot at you, it wasn't meant that way. I just don't like to rush these pups. I agree it can make it harder to break them if they are allowed to catch birds but never saw much ill effects over running a few derbies. And of course if you are doing it your self the chances are you won't get to too many now with gas over 4 dollars. Whatever just enjoy the trip, that is where the memories come from.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:49 am

I realized I missed putting down Brian Maloney. He handled kona through the open for me. I have to give him the credit due. He has given me alot of pointers and help along the way. He is great guy and knows his way around a dog. I couldn't have asked for a better guy. He gives me pointers and I get to do most of the work. No better way to figure out how to help a dog teach an owner how to trial.

doco

Post by doco » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 am

jcbuttry8 wrote:Doco, leave that fork at home! We are no where near done. We are just getting started.
That's exactly what I meant. The hook is in. Horses, trailers, birds, divorce.....it's a progression of the disease :lol: :lol:

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:46 am

doco wrote:
jcbuttry8 wrote:Doco, leave that fork at home! We are no where near done. We are just getting started.
That's exactly what I meant. The hook is in. Horses, trailers, birds, divorce.....it's a progression of the disease :lol: :lol:
It's funny you mention that. My wife and I were just arguing last week about the horse issue. So, while Emily and I were working Kona Thursday, we stopped by a stable across the street, and set her up with horse riding lessons next week. She has been very upset she can't go to the horseback trials lately and ride the braces. So, we left there and went home. We pulled in the drive and she stopped me before we went in to tell mom, and said " I got you dad, the only way we will get mom to get a horse is me. Don't worry I can handle this." It really is awesome having a genius for a daughter. Even at 11 she gets how this works. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: She is the best trialing partner a guy could ask for. :wink:

Joe

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Joe that is way cool!!! You have a special daughter don't ever loose that bond. :D

doco

Post by doco » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Yeah but Joe,

You are training her to ruin some man's life down the road! These are mens tactics, you can't teach girls that! They'll catch on. Just Kidding Ladies, Just Kidding!!!!!!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Von, I don't plan on ever letting it go. soon she will get her own pup, and with the horse lessons it's my way of keeping her away from boys a little longer. That and the sign that hangs outside on the house. " Every fifth boyfriend gets shot, fourth boyfriend just left."

Doco,

That is the best way to teach a daughter how to weed out the trash. If she already knows then she can better judge. Besides, I got suckered into it, why should I spare the next poor soul. he will need to man up and figure it out. Not my problem once the papers are signed. I have a strict no return policy. Not even for faults of the manufacturer. You sign you keep. Even for the boys. :D :D

Joe

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 am

Congrats! Continued luck with the trials :D . Enjoy the times with your daughter, too !

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

She looks good Joe. She couldn't have went to a better home.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:10 am

That's awesome about kona and really awesome about your daughter sharing your passion. They grow up so fast, I can't even get my 15 and 19 year old boys to go birdhunting with me anymore. Thank goodness my 8 year old daughter has been hunting, trialing, guiding, and training with me every chance she gets. I even let her fake sick to her mom and kept her home from school last week to take her working dogs with me, she loves it :D . Not great parenting but... :mrgreen:

Enough about me, Great Job!!!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks, Ron. I to have those parenting problems. It's funny every year on opening day of buck week which is a monday. My 13year old ends up with a fever. It generally comes with the shakes and this year it came with some smiles afterwards. It is a horrible fever and tends to keep him home. The only cure I have found so far is a few hours in the cold as high up in a tree as possible. It tends to break the fever. Oh and see below for the best cure.

My daughter is dying to get her chance at the fever, but for now we will just play with the puppies. She needs a little more umph in her britches first.

Joe

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:53 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:
doco wrote:
It's funny you mention that. My wife and I were just arguing last week about the horse issue. So, while Emily and I were working Kona Thursday, we stopped by a stable across the street, and set her up with horse riding lessons next week. She has been very upset she can't go to the horseback trials lately and ride the braces. So, we left there and went home. We pulled in the drive and she stopped me before we went in to tell mom, and said " I got you dad, the only way we will get mom to get a horse is me. Don't worry I can handle this." It really is awesome having a genius for a daughter. Even at 11 she gets how this works. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: She is the best trialing partner a guy could ask for. :wink:

Joe

Joe did you set her up at Broadmeadows Farm? I used to teach lessons there and also board my horse there years ago.

I don't know if you're interested but I have a better farm to recommend, though they will be quite a bit further from you. I ride all their ponies for them and whip 'em into shape!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Pass on the info. I will take a look.

Joe

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Everything Little Farm out in Perkasie.

I've known the ladies who run the farm and do the lessons there for almost 20 years!!! They have a great stress free program, summer camp, do pony club, and they will take your daughter to shows should she want to go that direction. They even have lead liners that compete at the Devon Horse Show! I have friends in Yardley that take their daughter there. In the winter they do lessons at a facility over by the Middletown Grange Fair grounds as they don't have an indoor.

Their ponies are great and I vouch for them 100%,
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Awesome,great pic.Love that blk/wht :D
jcbuttry8 wrote:Today we attended the Open Derby in Greenwood which was an AF event. It had me excited. It was our first AF event with the likes of Hunter wilcox and Norman Basilone and his son Matt. Lloyd Miller was also in attendance with a young setter that threw a little mix into the all pointer field. It was great to get to see my young dog mix it up with some great Derby dogs. If you ever get the chance to run dogs at Greenwood in south Jersey, don't hesitate. What a great place to run dogs.

Kona had a great run and handled well. She showed she was still somewhat in charge and disappeared a couple of times but found her way to the front every time. She had a great point right at the end of the brace and held solid. I was just a little impressed with her performance. :D We ended up coming home with third place. We celebrated over a couple of milk bones and a little milk in our dinner. Then snuggled up on the chair and went to dreamland. I had a great time and once again hung out with some great people and learned just a little more about this drug I just can't seem to shake.

Take care,

Joe

Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson