First Trial of the Season and It Was Fun

Grange

First Trial of the Season and It Was Fun

Post by Grange » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:37 am

I ran my 3 year old english setter in the Don Didcot Memorial Classic Trial this past weekend. The Didcot is a cover dog trial on wild grouse and woodcock. My setter, Tico, was in the second brace of the Didcot and she started off great. She had a great race and handeled well. Unfortunately she went with a woodcock on the flush and was ordered up. I admit I didn't expect her to break on the flush since she has been so this this winter and spring on wild birds, but anything can happen at a trial.

Saturday I judged (my first time) the Open Derby. We saw a lot of good dogs. We watched not only Pointers and English Setters, but also a couple Brittanies (my father's derbies) and a Gordon Setter. First place went to an English Setter that had a fun animated run with 4 very nice finds. The cool thing was that dog is owned and was handled by a first time trialer. It was a great win for the guy and I'm guessing he's probably been bitten hard by the trial bug. I know I was when a similar thing happened to me a few years ago.

Sunday was my day of redemption. I ran Tico in the Open Restricted Shooting dog. Again she put on a powerful race. I've gotta say I had a grin almost the whole time. I figured if the judges liked what I like, which is an animated big running dog, then Tico had a great shot. Not only did she run big, but she handled well and stayed to the front. Unfortunately Tico went birdless which was the same with all but one dog. So to sort out the placements the judges decided to have a call back with quail. I guess they were looking for bird work to help with their decision. Tico was the first of three dogs called back. She found the quail quickly and pointed with a straight 12'oclock tail and high head. She stood intense, tall, and proud throughout the flush and shot. In the end she was awarded first place.

Even though I had a great time all weekend Friday and Saturday I had that "could of, should of, and would of" feeling after her run in the Didcot. I think that is a big reason why Tico's performance Sunday felt so good. Instead of the "could of, should of, and would of" feeling I had the "we did it" feeling.

Gordon Guy

Re: First Trial of the Season and It Was Fun

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:15 am

Grange, I think I know the guy who ran the Gordon, how did that dog perform?
Tom

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

The dog ran nice. It had a good range and stayed with the handler. Unfortunately it didn't find a bird.

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Sounds like a good weekend, I am sure the new guy that won the trial is hooked for life.......
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Grange » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:37 am

I ran my 3 year old english setter in the Don Didcot Memorial Classic Trial this past weekend. The Didcot is a cover dog trial on wild grouse and woodcock. My setter, Tico, was in the second brace of the Didcot and she started off great. She had a great race and handeled well. Unfortunately she went with a woodcock on the flush and was ordered up. I admit I didn't expect her to break on the flush since she has been so this this winter and spring on wild birds, but anything can happen at a trial.
Sometimes they are totally different dogs in a trial or test setting. I think maybe they can sense our tension and/or excitement. Anyway, congrats on a good weekend!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Grange, it was nice to meet you and I appreciate the hospitality. Wish I could have been there Sunday to see Tico's run but I had a few other things that had to be done. You are right about being bitten by the trial bug as well, already registered for both Mora trials and planning on entering the moose river trial as well. :D

Are you headed to Mora or the moose river trials?

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 pm

birddogger wrote:
Grange » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:37 am

Sometimes they are totally different dogs in a trial or test setting. I think maybe they can sense our tension and/or excitement. Anyway, congrats on a good weekend!

Charlie
That's what the judge told me at the end of the day.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm

uplandnut wrote:Hi Grange, it was nice to meet you and I appreciate the hospitality. Wish I could have been there Sunday to see Tico's run but I had a few other things that had to be done. You are right about being bitten by the trial bug as well, already registered for both Mora trials and planning on entering the moose river trial as well. :D

Are you headed to Mora or the moose river trials?
I won't be at the Mora trials. I'll be at my club's trial on the 13th and 14th. I am planning on entering the Moose River Trial.