NAVHDA NA test

Vaoutdoors42

NAVHDA NA test

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 am

I took the NAVHDA NA test in April thru my Potomac Chapter in Maryland. My pup did great except for the pheasant track. I think my training before hand did not set him up for success (to many drags- too much scent and not enough pheasants (tough to find one in my area). He just couldnt figure it out. He got a 1 in tracking...Prize 3 (103).

I knew he had it in him so decided I would test him again. I just thought since the trainer (me) didnt set him up for success I owed it to him and myself to try it again. We drove to the Shenango Chapter NA test in Barkeyville, PA on June 2nd (4.5 hours from home). Jackson got 3 finds/points early but did have 2 poor flyers which we caught after I flushed but after that he ranged/hunted effortless. i didnt have to say a word, he just seemed to know where to go and it was so sweet. Now for the pheasant track. I was nervous, We were first to go. I knew this would make or break us. I took jackson to the pheasant feather pile and started saying "track em" and took a few steps as soon as I was about to let him go I stepped on his back paw and he let out a squeal. I knew this may throw him off and I could tell he wasnt hurt just spooked him so I held his collar and walked back around and got him focused again...back to the feather pile and this time he was pulling me, as if to say "i got this" so I just let go... He got on the pheasant track immediatly and was off. I saw Jackson go into the small evergreen trees with his nose on the ground, a few seconds later I see the pheasant fly up and see Jackson right behind him and he snagged the bird out of the air. It was such a great feeling, I was pumped.... It compared to shooting a big buck. When the judge said "ok, go get your dog"...I knew then we had a good shot to get Prize 1......We received a Prize 1 (112)!

I know people dont get to excited about NA test but this being my first ever dog ...I was very proud of my dog and myself
Just wanted to share.

ckirsch

Re: NAVHDA NA test

Post by ckirsch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 am

I think we all get pretty excited about an NA test when it's our pup running it. Congrats, it sounds like you and your pup had a great day. My advice is that you start training for your UPT or UT today. You'll have a lot of fun, will learn a lot, and your dog will end up a better-behaved field companion than he would otherwise be. Good luck, and enjoy the ride......

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:31 am

Congrats, sounds like you have a good one.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Congrats on your NA-1, 112. +1 for ckirsch's statement. You'll find yourself with a better trained hunting dog.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Congratulations. Its awesome that you retested knowing your pup was capable of getting a Prize I!
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

uplandguide

Post by uplandguide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:32 pm

I think every title is a big deal when you accomplish it together with your dog! congratulations! you got a great PUP, and more to come I'm sure.
Mcshane's Bringing on another Chance "Hattie" NA PR 1

Sire : DC Gambles Sam Man MH UT PR1
Dam : Friedelsheim's Greenwood Greta NA PR1

Jesse