NGSPA Hun Championship Brag

original mngsp

NGSPA Hun Championship Brag

Post by original mngsp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Since John hasn't posted this here yet, I figured I would for him.

FC Willows on the Spot was named the Runner Up Champion in the Amateur Shooting Dog Stake at the Hungarian Partridge Championship in Cheyenne, WY, which concluded on Saturday, September 30, 2006. John Lunseth handling, riding Gary Pihlstrom's Kahlua, and D ick Walters scouting. An All-Minnesota effort.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:52 pm

:D I guess we tied.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:52 pm

Congrats, John. That's awesome!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks. It was alot of work and a ton of fun. The horse was galled from riding the day before, so on the second of about 7 pieces of bird work, she flinched and tossed me when I tried to get back on. After that, she had to be held everytime. With a couple of minutes left to go and 6 pieces of bird work, I decided to foot handle the rest of the way. "bleep" Walters was chasing me with the horses trying to make me get back up. We were fussing at each other like a couple of old hens, both of us just wanting to get the dog through clean.

Then we had a final find at 59 1/2 minutes into the hour. Last year we did the same thing, we were in the money and at 59 1/2 the dog took a bird out. Well, this time the dog was standing on the top of a big canyon. From my foot handler's vantage point I saw a big covey leave the bottom of the canyon, so fired the blank gun thinking it was a wild flush with the dog standing. Then I walked up to collar the dog, and there were at least a dozen more birds walking all around the dog clucking talking running. These chukar are hard to get to fly if you chase them they just run. So I took a cue from a handler I watched last year, picked up a rock and chucked it at one. That made it fly and I fired the blank gun again. Then collared the dog out and the judges called time.

They asked me afterwards why I fired twice on one covey. I told them it looked like one covey wild flushed and the dog was standing on another covey, and I wanted credit for both. They called me a capitalist (with a lot of laughter of course). :D

Dog made it through the callback with a ton of style, so we were named RU Ch. That is his second Championship placement, but the first time I have handled him to one. Let me tell you, an hour stake is a ton of work.

I am home today and very sore.

Walters did a heck of a job scouting. As everbody probably knows, I had my hips replaced a few years ago. Well, he had a bone disorder that made riding very difficult. We made quite a pair I guess. :oops:

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:03 pm

Super congrats John. I always have a ton of respect for owner/handler's as we can't do it ourselves.

Pat

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Well, I can tell you an owner/handler is going to have a sore butt and many other sore parts for a couple of days afterwards. :lol:

larue

Post by larue » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

I can tell you this,If richard walters is at a trial,I am asking him to scout for me,he is that good.Congrads on your ru,,.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:26 pm

yes he is. he loves doing it and he is good at it, if not a fussy old hen sometimes. you can tell him i said so. :D just don't ask his opinion of me, or if you do, keep it to yourself. :lol: And ask him if he has found that red ribbon I hid in his truck. He hates those with a passion. Not this one though. An RU Ch. is not a second place dog in his mind, nor mine either I guess.

a good scout really has to push himself and his horse, and Richard is not afraid to do that. He lives for it. He is going to want to see the dog really run though. He is not big on dogs that don't give a scout work to do.

Hotpepper

Spot

Post by Hotpepper » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:20 pm

John

You have just earned the right to buy dinner in Kansas as the latest winner.

How does that sound???

Big Congrats to you.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:29 pm

I still want to flip you for it. :D

Seriously it would be my pleasure.

Yeah Jerr it is special I guess. It sure took some work to get back on a horse after all those years away and the hip work. This is the first placement I have handled a dog to in at least 15 years. I found I remembered alot and forgot alot. Sure had alot of coaches in the gallery and even the judges pitching in, so I must have looked like I needed help. But I had a strategy, stuck to it, and rode hard to collect the dog when I had to. And out there in WY, trying to get a big running dog around, I sure had to a couple of times.

We can still get it up and give er at our age, huh?

Carl Porter

Re: NGSPA Hun Championship Brag

Post by Carl Porter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Hey John, just wanted to say Congrats too. Good job my friend.
Keep it up.
Carl
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Anonymous
www.huntingdogtrainer.net