My dog Chaos Sired his first litter! How do I pick a pup?

billdave69

My dog Chaos Sired his first litter! How do I pick a pup?

Post by billdave69 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 am

I'm so excited today. My GSP Chaos Ruger Weltmeister litter was born this morning. He is the son of Cadens Ruger Weltmeister and grand son of Windrow's Saddle Tramp. I am new to this and I'm not sure of Trudy's full registered name, but she is AKC registered. I am very excited, but since this is all new to me I was wondering any tips on choosing the pick of the litter. Thanks in advance.
Dave

Munster

Re: My dog Chaos Sired his first litter! How do I pick a pup?

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:22 pm

I think Mr. Walker said when you have a good litter, you just reach your hand down in the box and pick one up!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:04 am

Munster wrote:I think Mr. Walker said when you have a good litter, you just reach your hand down in the box and pick one up!
^That...or just pick the one you want..pretty simple

germitt

Post by germitt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am

I have always just picked the litter you want. Not the pup.

germitt

Post by germitt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 am

I pick the litter not the pup.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:34 am

billdave69 wrote:I'm so excited today. My GSP Chaos Ruger Weltmeister litter was born this morning. He is the son of Cadens Ruger Weltmeister and grand son of Windrow's Saddle Tramp. I am new to this and I'm not sure of Trudy's full registered name, but she is AKC registered. I am very excited, but since this is all new to me I was wondering any tips on choosing the pick of the litter. Thanks in advance.
Dave
Have you spoken to the breeder about what you want in a pup
how much experience you have handling dogs

if you want to just have a hunting companion dog or are you thinking of trialing or showing
all these things will have a variance on which pup out of that litter will TEND to be better for you
Just starting out you will not want the pup that is always vying for the alpha spot in the pack
have kids same thing you don't want the alpha pup
hunting companions you will want the pup that is happy to be in the middle of the pack the one that doesn't have to be first and isn't bullying its litter mates
you want one that is investigative and wants to be around you not the one that just doesn't care about where you are
If the breeder did their job all the pups in the litter will be bird dogs BUT look to the breeder to watch for how the pups grow up as there will be things that they can see on a daily basis versus you looking at some pictures then maybe a few weeks down the road get to see them for an hour

If you want to trial and have lots more experience You will want a pup that has that competitive edge

These is just general stuff that when I look for a pup or sell a pup, it isn't an exact science but I like to try my best to make sure people and pups are going to be happy as possible
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:13 am

I saw a documentary the other day "the secret life of dogs" The vast majority of seeing eye dogs are right pawed and the swirls in there coat go counter clockwise. :D

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Is the dam's owner more experienced than you? If so, get them to help you pick the one with the attributes you are looking for. If not, you might want to enlist the help of an experienced breeder to help you pick.

We had our first litter 2 yrs ago and I got the dam's breeder to stop by the house and help grade the pups. He's been doing this nearly his entire life, and was spot on with his pics. We're absolutely thrilled with the pups we kept.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

billdave69

Post by billdave69 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you, good information. He will be a pure bird hunting dog. I am kind of nervous because Chaos just turned out to be great. People think I'm a good dog handler, nut having a good dog can really make you look good. I had a friend say,"sit about ten feet away and have him open the kennel and see which one comes to you."
I'll keep you posted on the progress. I think I will go out there this weekend.
Thanks Again,
BD69
BillDave