Potomac NAVHDA NA

philrosenbaum

Potomac NAVHDA NA

Post by philrosenbaum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Me and Jax, Cameo's Downhill Flyer NA P3 leaving the field after a nice run. It was his first test of any kind at 13 months old and my first time handling in NAVHDA. Special thanks to forum member Hatrick and the Potomac Chapter for all their help as we prepared for the test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichK

Re: Potomac NAVHDA NA

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:03 pm

How did he do? I'm looking forward to running my pup in his first NAVHDA event in the spring. He'll be 15 months at the time.

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 pm

He earned a Prize 3, a few points away from a Prize 2. His track was not as good as it could have been, but I believe that to be trainer/ handler error. I could have done a better job prepping him but he does live 3 hours away from us as he is owned by my sister in law. We probably only had 5 or 6 training sessions with him and they were cram sessions. We did take a lot of time on the swimming and he actually walked right into the water and swam before I had to throw a bumper. His pointing was solid but could have trusted his nose a bit more, which also tied into his low tracking score.

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

philrosenbaum wrote:He earned a Prize 3, a few points away from a Prize 2. His track was not as good as it could have been, but I believe that to be trainer/ handler error. I could have done a better job prepping him but he does live 3 hours away from us as he is owned by my sister in law. We probably only had 5 or 6 training sessions with him and they were cram sessions. We did take a lot of time on the swimming and he actually walked right into the water and swam before I had to throw a bumper. His pointing was solid but could have trusted his nose a bit more, which also tied into his low tracking score.

Nose work is what I'm working on this fall and winter the most with my pup. I believe his nose to be good but sometimes I get the feeling he gets so excited he forgets what it is there for.

Up until a few weeks ago I couldn't get mine near the water, now he just goes in when he sees it. I'm not sure what happened to him but something clicked.

Congrats either way, now you know what you'll be working on with him.
Last edited by RichK on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Exactly, Jax just needs to trust his nose a bit more. We are excited about him and are glad to have gone through the NA process. Good luck to you!

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 pm

congratulations and happy hunting