My Brit Pointing a Quail Wing

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

My Brittany "Bella" is 11 weeks old and is pointing a quail wing for a good 5 minutes until she gets bored. Makes me happy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: My Brit Pointing a Quail Wing

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 pm

She's cute as a button. Once she's pointed the quail wing once, you're ready to retire that dude and move on to real birds. Wings teach sight pointing - not a desirable behavior.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 pm

We've just had our first frost so the local quail preserve should be opening soon. The owner said I could bring her out and let her run as long as I do not shoot any. She's way to young to "hunt" anyway. It would be cool to let her run up on some though to see what happens. I am having a hard time finding flight quality pigeons or quail in my area to train with.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 am

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:21 am

jbwardfamily wrote:We've just had our first frost so the local quail preserve should be opening soon. The owner said I could bring her out and let her run as long as I do not shoot any. She's way to young to "hunt" anyway. It would be cool to let her run up on some though to see what happens. I am having a hard time finding flight quality pigeons or quail in my area to train with.
Cute pup and nice puppy point....Too early to start any serious training on birds though. Take her out and both of you just have fun. :D It is always fun to watch them point a wing, especially when they hold that long. I only do it a couple of times though because as fun and cute as it is, it really serves no purpose as far as training goes IMO, and you don't want to bore her. Good luck...We all know the feeling!! :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am

Oh yeah! I agree that it doesn't do too much towards training. I always put it up while she is still excited about it. She even tried to get to it when I put the fishing pole up. When I take her to the preserve I will just be letting her run. I was advised that until she is 5 or 6 months old, she can do no wrong in the outdoors. I will still keep her on the check cord though. I'd at least like her to get used to not being too far from me while in the field/woods.