Wee Brag. Dalin got a 3rd Placement in Open Derby

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Wee Brag. Dalin got a 3rd Placement in Open Derby

Post by AHGSP » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:45 am

Just got back in from a short week of Grouse hunting in the Maine northwoods with the "kids", but wanted to brag Dalin up a bit.

Last weekend at Central VA. GSP Clubs Trial, he recieved a 3rd Placement in, I believe, a 20 dog Stake in Open Derby with me as the handler. I was especially pleased with his performance with me handling, as we were running with numerous Pro's with far more experience than I and he was still able to overcome my amateur mistakes to put on a show worthy of placement. At my request, the Judges gave me lots of great advice on how I could better show him by not making mistakes; such as talking to him too much, causing him to come back in when he didn't need too. He slammed 1 particuliarly impressive point at about 100 yards, up on a hill above us and held it well, even with the bird walking in front of him and me taking my good ole time to get to him for the flush and blank. Actually, I couldn't convince Hollywood to walk any faster, because I wasn't letting the bit off so he could go...... DUHHHHH on me! OK, so I was a tadddd excited.... :roll:

The biggest reward for me was to hear the Judges tell me that I have a "really, really nice dog" and that he "was a real pleasure to watch".

Gosh I gotta quit being the weak link! :oops:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 am

Congratulations again Bruce. It takes time to learn to relax and let the dog work. You just need to help it at the right points in time, not all the time. As long as it is working and running to the front or casting for an objective let it go.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Bruce

Good work, sounds like both of you are really having fun.
Gosh I gotta quit being the weak link!
I feel the same way too, but you only get better by geting out there and learning. It's always neat when you get a pair of judges that will help you out alot too.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Congrats on the placement! I know what you mean about being the weak link. I feel like I have cost my dog at least one placement this fall.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Me too. We managed to take RU at the Hun Ch., but he would have been better off with a handler that could stay on his dang horse!

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:37 pm

John

I'm not sure but I think you might be let off the hook a bit because an hour with bad hips sounds terrible.

My problem is 99% between the ears.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:41 pm

Hips work ok. Horse is the problem.

It was a kick though.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 pm

Horse is the problem
I don't think that's the first time I've heard that from a field trialer. Were you on the one that you are taking down to Eureka?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:07 pm

No, I would have died on that one. I was on Kahlua. In her defense, she was galled at the girth from the day before. But she is not the smoothest thing at a Shooting Dog or All Age pace. She is more used to AKC Gun Dog.

I don't think she liked me much when we were done. But she still eats my hay, so there is hope.

The point in Bruce's defense being that you have quite a bit to manage when you are up there handling. Doesn't just come naturally without a little practice and ride time.

SharpMtn

Post by SharpMtn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:42 pm

CONGRATS BRUCE & DALIN!! Sounds like you have a great future ahead of both of you:)

Lara

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:19 pm

Thanx Kindly All,

Dalin ran in his last (self imposed 4 Derby Limit) Open Derby at Mason Dixon GSPC Fall Trial and placed 3rd with me handling. He placed 3 times in 4 Derbies; 1 AM. and 3 Open. Now the work begins!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:27 pm

Sounds great Bruce! I have his sister about 1/2 steady. Shes good on pigeons, if I were home long enough I would work on the quail part. Shes a REAL nice young dog, as I am sure your guy is too.
brenda