Great quail hunting day

oldbeek

Great quail hunting day

Post by oldbeek » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Hunting today for valley quail in some open country. Dog points a bird and I flush it and get a clean kill. As she is retrieving it at a fast pace the bird just rolls out of her mouth. For an instant I am perplexed as what she is doing, then she slides into reverse and points another bird in short grass. Wish I had a camera. There she was pointing with the previous bird laying at her feet. Walked up and shot the second bird clean which landed almost the exact spot the first bird fell. Got another perfect to hand retrieve. That made my day. I just beat prostate cancer and at 76 I am out with my kids and dogs 3 to 4 days a week. Missy has logged 176 miles on her Garmin collar since Oct 20. This is a good life.

NEhomer

Re: Great quail hunting day

Post by NEhomer » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:42 am

What a terrific story and congrats on licking cancer.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 am

Nice :!:

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 am

That's wonderful oldbeek! Beating cancer can be a battle in itself - one that too few win.
Sounds like the Big Guy took pity on you and gifted you one cracker of a bird dog, as well!
Keep making memories Sir. That's what it's all about.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Fast forward to 2018 opening day. I am still above ground. Had my Britt and my sons GSP out with my nephew. We need a camera man. Some of the most fantastic double points I have ever seen. Those dogs were wound up. Intensity in their points was amazing. Stopped in one spot down wind of a large field and was turning on Missys Garmin. She was sucking in the breeze like a vacuum cleaner. She was pointing when she hit the ground. The GSP pup wanted to charge ahead so I held him back. Britt slinked out in the field, following a running covey, with the pup following her close behind. When she finally locked them down, she slammed to a solid point with the pup right behind her all stretched out. It was a sight behold. I would like to say we flushed the birds and I took the right bird and my nephew took a left, but it was a big cluster. The covey went all directions, but Miss and the pup stayed put till the dust cleared. I could go on and on but we both limited out that day and the dogs worked solid. It is going to be another great season.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm

That is the Best Medicine right there!