Couple of show and field brags......

zodiakgsps

Couple of show and field brags......

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Just joined up and wanted to introduce a couple pups I'm pretty excited about!
Zodiaks Holy Terror JH, started her show career last June at Conewango taking WB Fri and BOS Sat, then going WB Sun at Erie from the puppy class. She just took BOW first 3 days in Marrietta OH and BOS the last day. She also has an AD win from last fall and several FT placements.

on woodcock last week
And Zodiaks Dueces R Wild JH, Duece ran 9 trials last year, placing in all and in his last 7 he won six, getting a second in the one earning him all but 1 AP point by 10mths old! (Duece is my avatar, thats him at 4mths.)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:02 pm

What is an "AP" point? If he placed in 9 trials and won at least 6 of them, is he not a field champion?

Best regards, Greg J.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:10 pm

No, I run AKC field trials, AP is amatuer puppy. He ran in amatuer puppy, open puppy, amatuer derby and open derby, he just turned 1 yr old in February, he's not quite ready for gun dog (broke stakes) yet!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:16 pm

I hit your site and saw that after I posted. That's a lot of running in puppy and derby. If you dog and your bracemate are both broke, though, I don't guess there is any harm in it.

Good luck in the broke dog stakes! My pup had his first season last Fall and will start his Spring season next weekend.

Best regards, Greg J.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:22 pm

He was only 7 mths when he took his first derby, and 9mths when he had all his points, won't be running any puppy/derby this year, just working on breaking him for GD.
Good luck at your trial!
Ann

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:00 am

Very neat! Love the pic on point in the woods. Amazing you hunt dogs through that stuff...just looking at the pic made me run out to the kennels to make sure my dogs weren't lost.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:54 am

DGFavor wrote:Very neat! Love the pic on point in the woods. Amazing you hunt dogs through that stuff...just looking at the pic made me run out to the kennels to make sure my dogs weren't lost.

ROTFLMAO
Hey Doug,

That cover is actually very open and clear by Mid-Atlantic Appalachian standards! This is more typical of good Ruff Grouse cover:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:02 am

Bruce, that cover is much like where I hunt in the Alleghany national forest for grouse. My dogs handle in it pretty well, I start them very young in the woods.
We don't have a lot of open big ground around here accessible to ride horses/quads on, so I only run gundogs, no AA. Plus I live in town, no property, no horses, 30 min drive to closest grounds, I train mostly off foot.
The cover in the pic is local, we were getting some woodcock through last week & I took advantage of it to run the pups......now there's 8-10" of snow again & high winds, 29 degrees. :roll:

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 am

Weather....hmmmmmmm.......
I'm thinking it would be a good idea to take a Shorthair to Punxatawny to see how fur sharp it is! :twisted:

How was your season up in ANF? I've heard lots of good things about PA. Grouse pop.s this year.

I'm a Grouse/Doodle hunting fool, so that cover is the norm for me when hunting. I am fortunate enough to live in an area with lots of agriculture and livestock though, so training fields are basically right out the back door and plenty big enough to work with an "East Coast AA" off of ATV. The majority of the dogs I work with are gun dog range and off foot though. Only the very, very few special ones require the ATV.

My boy Dalin handles very kindly off foot, but just let me get on a ATV or horse......... 8)
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Bruce, only made it to the ANF 3 times last year, will DEFINITELY go more this year! Put up 12, 27 and 22 birds, had a BLAST!! ( I shot none! I'm a terrible wing-shooter.)Almost 2 hr drive, but worth it, better than hunting around here, few birds, mostly mature hardwoods.
Porkys were a problem, had 3 points in one day! Thank goodness the dogs held & were abled to be collared away, no incedents.