Bell's First Trial

grant
GDF Junkie

Bell's First Trial

Post by grant » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:44 am

Bell and I ran our first NSTRA trial the last weekend, November 6, 2004. We had a great time, and I highly recommend the AL region to anyone in the south east. These folks where nice as can be! I couldn’t count the number of people who walked up to Lindsay and I and introduced themselves. If you’ve never met Sonny Hawkins, you’re missing out! He’s a kind person and kept Lins and I laughing the whole time!

The day started off cool and ended a bit warmer, but overall, it was an awesome day to run. There where two fields, A and B. B field seemed to have more green in it, which helped the birds fool a good many of dogs the whole day. B field had relatively low scores the whole day, while A field had good rankings most of the time.

I got off work about 1am and hit the sack; we got up around 4am and hit the road about 5am. Not too much sleep! Bell and I ran 7A and 15B. Our goal was to not get disqualified and not come in last.

7A:
We ran last years high point dog in AL. That only added to my nervousness! Bell rocketed off the start and pointed in about 3sec. I flushed the bird and it rose so perfectly for a nice shot. I missed! Dang! I tapped Bell and off she went. Bell held up great for this brace.

15B:
Bell started strong, but only for about 1min. then she slowed down. I need to condition her more. We where running a good looking dog, Jock, owned by Sonny Hawkins.

Final Results:

7A:
10th place
Obedience 71
Ground Coverage 76
4 finds and 3 retrieves
Total 764.5
There was about 200pts between us and the first place dog. I think we missed third by about 100pts? I'll make sure.

15B
14th place
Obedience 70
Ground Coverage 80
2 finds and 2 retrieves
Total 500

ward myers

NASTRA

Post by ward myers » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:10 pm

where were you running what city ?
sounds like bell did a super job & you should be proud of her!
i have a female GSP at a trainer now, i want to run her in the NASTRA trials at LAKE WALES FLORIDA when she completes her training.
tell BELL great job!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:20 pm

Way To Go Grant & Bell! We were pulling for you. That Al Region has too many pointers, needs some shorthairs holding up our end! We wanted to come but that was our fall festival and hayride we have here for family. Lots of fun too. We`ll be at Ed Murdocks in Lavonia next weekend, Sand Mt. the next, and Ky for a 3 day Thanksgiving Trial. Then to Tx to bird hunt. You ought to hit Sand Mt.
brenda

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:20 am

Great Grant,

Now you got the bug............See you in AMO IN. soon!!!!!

Give this some thought........I have judged many NSTRA trials and have seen this done over and over......

Trials are plagued with terrible birds usually..... They get what they get, cant help it.......So, that said.....if the birds fly badly...........always send the dog for the retrieve! I had a friend that said....I have never missed a bird in a trial.the dog will always come back with something!

Phil
REO

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:48 am

snips wrote:You ought to hit Sand Mt.
I'd hate for Logan and Rebel to whoop up on Bell so early in her career =)

What does it take to get to AMO IN?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:53 pm

I know your not "chicken"!!! The Dog of the Year Trial is always run the end of Oct. and it takes the top Region Hi Point dogs and top placing dogs in your Regional. They will take so many dogs from each Region depending on how many trials held. Usually 6-8 dogs can go. In the spring Amo holds the Champion of Champions Trial. Requirement is to be a Ch. Kinda obvious. There are 3 other Nat`l Trials with different requirements for Invitation. The Quail Invitational is in Fla in Feb every year, the Grand Nat`l is in June, and Purina Endurance is in Sept. and these two change location every year to enable other people a chance to attend. It`s a great time moving around running in these and meeting people from all over. We have made some great friends this way, and it`s almost secondary running dogs now when we go. We like to take it as some time off and sight seeing in new areas or hunting, or just seeing our friends.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:03 pm

snips wrote:I know your not "chicken"!!!
Bell isn't, I am! ahahahahah

I get so nervous, but she's always ready to go. She'll probably quit me if I keep missing birds that she finds. At first she was understanding, but now she's starting to roll her eyes at me!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:19 pm

Nice work Grant. Sounds like Belle did very well in her first trial.

I missed a bird too last month in Coop's first trial. I hate that!
:shock:

We gotta shoot better :wink:

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Grant, I know its been a long time since you posted this post and at the time you did this , I didnot know how to turn on a computer. Many thanks to you and your wife, I think you guys are just GREAT. Friend ---SONNY
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:50 pm

Sonny Hawkins wrote:Grant, I know its been a long time since you posted this post and at the time you did this , I didnot know how to turn on a computer. Many thanks to you and your wife, I think you guys are just GREAT. Friend ---SONNY
Thanks Sonny! Unfortunately, its just the dogs and I now. (Divorced as of last week)

I’ll get off my butt one of the days and come give y’all heck! =)

Grant

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm

GEEZ Grant! I am sorry. I was wonderin...?
brenda

Sonny Hawkins

Post by Sonny Hawkins » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 pm

SORRY, GRANT.----------SONNY
SON/STARR KENNELS
Son/Starr's Slick---1st Amateur Champion of NSTRA.

billy

Post by billy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:08 am

Grant, My kindess condolences! I really have looked for you at local events all season hoping to see you running Kage! I hope to see you soon in our area running the dogs. I'll keep an eye on NSTRA trials close to home to see if Belle or Kage are entered.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Greene
Murrayville, GA

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:26 am

Sorry Grant,

Things will work out in the end.